1 (edited by Skyroads 2022-08-23 15:48:46)

Topic: Babyface (old one) / Win 10 issues

Hi

Unfortunately, I've been having some major problems with the babyface for a few weeks now.

I work with Cubase 11 on Windows 10 with the RME Babyface (newest firmware) and never had issues before.

1. during a vocal recording suddenly the sound drops off and then no audio can be played back. Not in the DAW or in the browser.

2. the phenomenon with the sudden audio off, happens sporadically even without recording. Can happen just by listening to music.

3. as soon as this happens, the driver is gone and even immediately cut off the mouse and keyboard. The PC then no longer recognizes USB devices. Then only way then is pressing the reset button of the computer.

4. If i click on my Recorindg preset in Totalmix (where I set it up that I can immediately start to record vocals) now I need to fuzzle on the gain wheel in order to get a sound. Prior that, it just took my pre set gain level and I could start to record

The thing is, I have not changed anything on the PC hardware and already worked several months withouot any issues with the same setup. All this appeared suddenly and can't be fixed by driver re-installation, new updates of Win 10 or anything else. I really do not know what to do.

Is it possible that my over 10 year old Babyface is just at it's end?

The strange behaviour of cutting all other connected USB Hardware is really confusing me. I even tried other USB Ports but no improvement.

Edit: I just saw that it's not even possible to complete remove the RME Fireface USB Drivers from my computer. There are 2 entries found within Apps & Features. One is the actual Driver and the other is the very first installed. The new one (1.2.21.0) can be removed but the first one (1.1.68.0) is not possible. ERROR: File..............fireface_usb.inf_amd64_07eaaaf322721b7a\interface_usb.inf not found

Re: Babyface (old one) / Win 10 issues

Did you also test another cable? The effect on other USB devices is certainly strange, but more likely an issue of the PC.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The other driver is removed already, all that is left is an irrelevant registry entry. This is not causing any misbehaviour.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

RME Support wrote:

Did you also test another cable? The effect on other USB devices is certainly strange, but more likely an issue of the PC.

Yes, I did try that.

MC wrote:

The other driver is removed already, all that is left is an irrelevant registry entry. This is not causing any misbehaviour.

But if I want to remove anything related to the RME Software or drivers I'm not able to. If I f.e. want to install another interface I prefer to have a clean setup without any older or other drivers around on my pc.

Sorry, but It's completely irrelevant. Any other interface will use its driver and if during boot no RME interface is being detected, then the RME driver doesn't become active at all.

Your whole Windows OS consists of kernel and a collection of plenty of drivers that are also there, but are only being loaded if there is something connected which needs such a driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Okay then - this is anyway not the main point. See all the other issues I'm facing at the moment.

Just right now I can't even watch a youtube video (no sound, no video playback at all). If I want to check my Windows audio settings it freezes and nothing happens. All other settings or functions are doing just fine.