Topic: Linking Fireface UFX+ with Fireface 800 and Focusrite octopre

Hi RME User,
I now installed the new Fireface ufx+ in the rack and connected it. It works! :-)

I now use the following connections:
ADAT1 OUT of the FF 800 with ADAT1 IN of the UFX+ ... and ... ADAT 1 IN FF800 with ADAT1 OUT of the UFX+
Octopre:ADAT2 Out, ADAT2 IN UFX+

On the Fireface 800, the ADAT 1 light blinks continuously. On the Fireface ufx+, ADAT 2 flashes occasionally after a rhythm. I only used new optical ADAT cables.

Questions:
1. Is the wiring correct based on the LED lights?
2. Where can I see in Total Mix which mic channels are from the Focusrite Octopre and which are from the Fireface 800? ... or do I have incorrect settings?
3. How can I add phantom power for mics to the "old" Fireface 800 in the four mic inputs? (that used to work with the “Fireface Settings”, but that is no longer active)? ... and in the ADAT channels of the new MADI setting I found no phantom power supply ...

Thanks for your help!

Best wishes
andrew.rox

2 (edited by ramses 2022-08-25 17:58:49)

Re: Linking Fireface UFX+ with Fireface 800 and Focusrite octopre

Hi Andrew.
Welcome to the forum.

This is most likely a clocking issue.
There are many threads in the forum about clocking, use extended forum search.

There can only be one clock master in the setup, preferably the UFX+.
You could build it up similar to here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 01#p190901

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,
so many thanks for your help.
If I understand correctly, then the structure is like this:

UFX+ (clock master) ----ADAT1 OUT----[data+clock]------------>ADAT IN---Fireface800 [clock slave: clock source = ADAT]
                             <---ADAT1 IN<-----[data]---------------------ADAT OUT
                              ----ADAT2 OUT----[data+clock]------------>ADAT IN---Focusrite Octopre [clock slave: clock source = ADAT]
                             <---ADAT2 IN<-----[data]---------------------ADAT OUT
Questions:
1. Do I need a "word clock"- cable? ... or is it all controlled via ADAT?
2. Do I need to make any changes in the "madiface serie settings" (clock mode)?

Best wishes
andrew

4 (edited by ramses 2022-08-25 19:33:36)

> 1. Do I need a “word clock”- cable? … or is it all controlled via ADAT?

You do not need WC, ADAT is fully sufficient.
So, the FF800 can run even in stand-alone mode (if routing is preconfigured) and get clock via ADAT.
If your OctoPre also has ADAT IN and Line outs (some model have analog outputs), then you can use ADAT as well.
Otherwise, use “Word Clock” to clock the OctoPre.

> 2. Do I need to make any changes in the "madiface serie settings" (clock mode)?

For the one and only clock master: clock source = internal.

For the clock slaves … The port from which they learn the clock signal:
— FF800 -> ADAT
— OctoPre -> either ADAT or WC (depending on the model, the requirements).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,
cool the FF 800 works now with the UFX+.

When i put a signal through one mic channel (FF 800), the signal appears on all ADAT channels (ADAT 1/2 - ADAT 7/8).
I think this is how it should be.

How can I give phantom power to these mic channels???

I'll check the focusrite thing tomorrow!

Greetings ... and thanks soooo much!!!!

andrew.rox

Phantom power can only be switched when the unit is connected with FireWire. I usually suggest that you set 48V and leave it if you normally only use condenser mics. You can do that for 1 channel or all 4 mic inputs.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi Jeff,
alright.
If i understood you correctly, i can no longer give phantom power to this 4 mic channels (FF 800) because of the missing firewire access?!

I noticed that the recordings have a slight reverb although the effects are switched off in the total mix. Is this right?

Best wishes
andrew

Hi Jeff,
all is doing good. I found my mistake! Sorry ...

Best wishes
andrew

Jeff wrote:

Phantom power can only be switched when the unit is connected with FireWire. I usually suggest that you set 48V and leave it if you normally only use condenser mics. You can do that for 1 channel or all 4 mic inputs.

@Andrew, you can leave FF800 connected to Firewire and then operate the unit in a 2nd TM FX instance.