1 (edited by fieldstu 2022-08-31 22:51:53)

Topic: input with mono sensing, output with ground sensing (solved)

Somewhere in a TC nova guitar effect box I noted analog connectors that are:¼" phone jacks w. mono-sense, Input & Output type: Single ended. What do phone jacks w. mono-sense mean? Balanced? Or with l/r sense in the way that if left channel is connected the signal goes to left and right automatically?

Edit1. Mono sensing took L signal to R side when only L connected.
Edit2. Input jacks short the ring and shield thus unbalanced
Edit3. Ground sensing on the output means probably that the output possibly is balanced.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

2 (edited by ramses 2022-08-27 08:52:28)

Re: input with mono sensing, output with ground sensing (solved)

Ask the support for that product or check its manual.
Alternatively, at least mention what product you mean that somebody else can have a look if he is in the mood.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by fieldstu 2022-08-30 08:55:00)

photo @ https://www.microdesignum.cz/_d/01/phot … 4010_1.jpg is it's sibling inside.
manual here [link outdated]

I suspect it is unbalanced though I think I can with the TRS jack inputs I could connect it with balanced cabling. p14 of the manual I find confusing.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

4 (edited by ramses 2022-08-28 22:04:48)

I think mono sense refers to the effects to operate in mono mode if you plug only one cable to the left input and left output.

The usual thing if you are a guitarist and play mono through one amp.
Furthermore, other effect devices have this mono operation mode, like e.g., Lexicon MX-200 or TC G-Major 2.

In contrast to that, the more expensive reverb units like Lexicon PCM 91 are pure stereo effect units…

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by fieldstu 2022-08-30 01:16:42)

Thanks. I think now same about the mono sense part. If (on input) only L is connected then it will distribute the L signal to R signal so that the stereo operation will work, and (on output) it will sum the L+R signal into L when only L is connected. That part solved.

Next the ground sense part. I wonder if the output is balanced.
Manual says:
a: Connections
Input = 1/4" mono jack
Output = 1/4" mono jack
b: Spefications
Input type = Single ended
Output type = Balanced/Single ended with ground sense.  -> would be balanced, quasi balanced (?)

(meanwhile try to somehow get connected with the product support)

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

6 (edited by ramses 2022-08-30 06:44:53)

The URL in post #3 doesn't work anymore. Blocked by cloud flare. Maybe use another cloud provider next time to share your content, with Dropbox I had no such issues so far.

As you didn't mention the product name somewhere in the text, I am again unable to have a look.

But as you mention “1/4 mono jack”, this can't be balanced.
Mono has only two connectors, for the signal and for ground.

For balanced operation you need the normal signal, the inverted signal and ground (TRS).

It's a TC Nova Reverb. Quite nice one and fully stereo audio path.
I've measured. Input shorts the ring and shield when jack is put in the input terminal. Thus unbalanced.
Output seems some fake or floating (or however you call it) balanced connection. I see some opamps in the circuit board picture in the link further above. With the "1/4 mono jack" assume output is also unbalanced.

Path fwd is connecting via audio transformer/isolator. I trust that the most smile

ADI2, Digiface, ARC