Topic: RME MULTIFACE I and II technical - PCI connection ?

hey,
I own 2 'ancient' RME Multiface 1 and 2 devices. Love them to death:)
Use them both as a/d/a audio mixer via pre-programmed Total Mix with PC off.
Now I have a problem as my old PC died and I need to get new/old one (so I can accommodate at least one of those cards)

My problem is I am very confused with the current names/terminology within PC - particularly I am confused about compatibility.
What PC mainboards PCI types I need to look for to be able to connect - best scenario both interfaces, worst scenario RME Multiface II as this one is more modern and has PCI express card/connection.

Please help, as I need to buy a PC asap, and I do not know which one will be able to serve my RME interfaces.

RME MULTIFACE I - connection  -oldest PCI slot (very rare nowadays on mainboards)
RME MULTIFACE II - connection - modern PCI express, but I am no so sure about compatibility on modern PC mainboards, it's very confusing....

thanks in advance for reply!

regards

Re: RME MULTIFACE I and II technical - PCI connection ?

...for example, one PC mainboard got
PCIe 3.0 x16 - 1
PCIe 2.0 x1 - 1
slots, does it mean Multiface II will run without any hassle??

It should.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It should.

well.....should is still risky, isnit?
what if I break the interface in a second by pluggin it ??
this is really confusing those new types of PCI slots....

but thanks for answer anyway:)

No risk for breaking it. PCI will fit into pci and not pcie. Pcie will not fit into PCI except with brute violence.
MC says it should work cause you never know, a motherboard might have a strange bios quirk or software issue which is unforeseen, but if the  design follows the standards it will work.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

No risk for breaking it. PCI will fit into pci and not pcie. Pcie will not fit into PCI except with brute violence.
MC says it should work cause you never know, a motherboard might have a strange bios quirk or software issue which is unforeseen, but if the  design follows the standards it will work.

thank you!
I am taking the risk:), of course, I won't push PCI express into PCI slot....
but those new PCIx3 or 16 are very confusing....
anyway, the small PC I am getting got this motherboard
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A320M-DVS … dex.pl.asp

1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x1

my understanding is that my newer RME Multiface II (PCI express slot) will fit into the 'smaller' slot?
I would appreciate any direction/information,
thank you in advance!

regards

7 (edited by vinark 2022-08-31 14:32:59)

Good thing about PCIe is that a PCIE X1 will fit in a X16 slot no problem. The x16 has 16 lanes (hence the bigger slot) and the X1 will just use one lane. Same with a X4 in a X16 slot.  X1 is enough for audio, graphics need X16  and some usb3 or sata cards X4.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Good thing about PCIe is that a PCIE X1 will fit in a X16 slot no problem. The x16 has 16 lanes (hence the bigger slot) and the X1 will just use one lane. Same with a X4 in a X16 slot.  X1 is enough for audio, graphics need X16  and some usb3 or sata cards X4.

....OK:)

so in which of the slots should I fit my Multiface II (pci express card) ?
please check the MB

9 (edited by vinark 2022-08-31 15:18:07)

I checked! PCIe 2.0 x1 for sure.
Graphics card in the x16 slot if you use one. But as I said, if you have it working but performance troubles, you can always try the x16 slot, just as trying different usb ports for usb interfaces.
Hope it al works right away! Make sure the Motherboard bios is up to date or even better update only if you have problems, don´t fix if it aint broke!

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

I checked! PCIe 2.0 x1 for sure.
Graphics card in the x16 slot if you use one. But as I said, if you have it working but performance troubles, you can always try the x16 slot, just as trying different usb ports for usb interfaces.
Hope it al works right away! Make sure the Motherboard bios is up to date or even better update only if you have problems, don´t fix if it aint broke!

big thanks!!

I have a multiface 1 with pci card and in the new computer I have only pciX board, I buy an economic adapter pciX to pci with two slots and I use without problem the old card and a FireWire card with windows 10.
The board is external and work very well.
The FireWire card is connected with a Ufx and I use for recording Ufx and multiface for listen and so on.