Topic: new RME UFX blank white screen

Finally received my RME after a few month's wait.

Day one: works fine for a couple hours during initial setup and testing.
Day two:  boot up and :  the white screen of death?  sad

I tried the flash update and rebooting a few times.  Nothing.

Not too disappointed, somehow I was expecting a faulty unit after reading some of the posts here! smile  But still, as a new RME customer, not too impressed with the quality control.

Is there anything I can try to fix it, or do I send it back.

thanks.

2 (edited by nowtime 2011-01-13 21:23:00)

Re: new RME UFX blank white screen

Oh, more info:   Flash update was 338/107/333.  Drivers 2.87.  Scouring RME's site now for updates.

OSX 10.6

tried FW, USB, and no connections.

Correct, flash the latest firmware found on the website and it will work again. On day one you flashed the outdated DSP version from the included driver CD, I bet. That one causes the white screen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I deleted all driver related files.

re-installed the newest firewire version as of Jan 13

when I got home from the internet cafe i noticed the website showed
me no USB drivers (only firewire and USB flash update - not very clear, there)  so I installed the USB driver
from my CD which the readme says is  for UC and Babyface ver 1.47

did NOT do another USB flash update

rebooted computer with my USB and FW cables connected and

the screen worked!!!  I played for awhile and then went away for half an hour

I came back and the screen was missing pixels,  looked like chinese writing,  and as I played with buttons and knobs more and more pixels disappeared

I rebooted the unit and the screen was white again.

dead unit?

No, the unit is not dead. The current firmware version is 342/110/336. Note the 110, as I wrote above your 107 most probably causes the white screen.

Aftet that you should update to driver 1.49 - 1.47 again is outdated.

Additionally: do not connect FW and USB at the same time, especially while you try to update the unit's firmware. Use USB only.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your patience!  this is a bit traumatic for me not having internet access at home.

In the thick of it, I must have previously already flashed with the latest update

-I clicked on the 342/110/336 USB flash update
- It said I was "up to date"
-  I re-flashed it again just to be sure
-  I rebooted the unit
- I updated the 1.49 driver
-I re-updated the 2.89 driver  ("400/800/UFX - 1.70/2.77/336)
-re-started the computer

and still a white screen  sad

anything else I can do?

thanks

Ok, in this case the screen of the unit is indeed broken and the unit needs to be exchanged, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

i have the same problem. Driver 2.90 Mac/Firewire. Firmware USB 342/DSP 1.10/FW 336. Display stays white.

Also a hardware problem?

Br
Christoph Seufert

What i forgot to say: Everything else works perfectly. At the Moment i use the UFX only on a computer, therefore it's not urgent to me to get this fix (for the case, that it is a software-solvable problem)

Br
Christoph Seufert

No, I expect a display or cable problem inside the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by mrecordings 2012-04-23 11:26:39)

Hi,
I just got my UFX last Friday. I installed the drivers from the CD and then upgrade both USB/Firewire to (USB 1.66 / FW3.06) from your website. I tested the sound, and it worked fine (impressed by it's quality) so I decided to update the firmware with Update 341/42 using the usb cable. No error during the firmware update.

After rebooting the unit, everything worked fine. I started playing music when suddenly the sound stopped. The level meters in the unit's screen were frozen. I didn't like it...so decided to reboot it. After that I only get the blank screen. I tried to get sound out of the unit or from the mic preams using totalmix, but no sound coming in or out.

The device is recognised, so I tried to update the firmware again, application shows up to date but I upgraded several times. Issue remains. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ivan

Return the unit - sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello Matthias, I have the simular problem only in this case uinti was working great since last September until today.

I started computer this morning and UFX started just fine. When I opened a project in Cubase 6.5 I was working yesterday I noticed that there is no sound going out. I checked all connections in Cubase and all was as usual. So I restarted the unit.

After restart I had a white screen. All lights under STATE were up. I could not open any driver and I don't see UFX in my computer (Win 7) Sound Devices where it was all the time before today.

I tried to use flash firmaware update but nothing happens when I do this.

What should I do to resolve this issue? Can you give me please a step by step instructions?

Last question - if the unti is dead and I bought it last September what are my options, could I exchange it?

Thanks,

Peter

Hello,

your device is under warranty, so please contact the retailer or local distributor for repair options.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Good afternoon. I'm a longtime rme user smile couldn't insert picture sad Now ufx is in the works - bought it as soon as it went on sale. The card worked perfectly, but only a year ago I noticed one problem - sometimes when you turn on the card, the screen is white, if you turn off the card, then everything is fine. Sometimes it works for a month or two, sometimes you have to turn it off and on almost every day. I live in Azerbaijan, there is no rme service center here. Is there any option to fix this? Sincerely, Osman Khemidov.
Sorry for google translate

Up