Topic: Software Playback is monitoring Hardware Inputs no matter what I do

Fireface 400 on a macbook air M1, big sur.
works flawlessly.

my software playback AN 1/2 is monitoring hardware input AN 1/2 even if those hardware input channels are muted or its faders are completely down.
is this normal behavior?
as soon as I increase the gain channel on the interface itself or in the fireface settings I receive the signal in the hardware input and always in the software playback channels.
this creates a lot of problems such as not being able to mute a microphone while using the software playback.
I'm not using any daw, just total mix. I assume this is a configuration problem from my OS? i have tried so many things.
any tips will be appreciated.

here's a pic of my total mix
https://im.ge/i/O3CYe4

Re: Software Playback is monitoring Hardware Inputs no matter what I do

Did you remove any cables from input channel 2?

Firmware version in the FF400? Driver version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks for the quick reply!

maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly.
on the input channel 2 I have a mic connected which I cannot avoid being received at software playback channel number 2.

does that makes sense?

Fireface settings version 3.41
unit# 514EC495 C1.71
Kernel driver v3.41
driver_fw_mac_341

caminofarol wrote:

maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly.
on the input channel 2 I have a mic connected which I cannot avoid being received at software playback channel number 2.

does that makes sense?

Software playback channel 2 does only receive data from the DAW/CoreAudio in use, nothing else. If you think you have no software active then you must have overlooked a tool or social media extension or...that activates (software) monitoring and sends out the input signal to that playback channel.

Did you check the settings in AUDIO MIDI SETUP for the FF400?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yes, I did check my audio midi setup, mac sound preferences and other apps but nothing.
until..., I just remember the application Loopback, even though I wasn't using it and it was not selected by my sound preferences it was still routing the input of my Fireface to the Fireface software playback..
I spent so much time on this problem!
thank you and sorry!. I did though learned lots about Total Mix, stuff I did not comprehend well until now.

thanks again!