Topic: Digiface USB... Backordered or being phased out?

Does anyone know the status of the Digiface USB?  I have an original PCI Digiface.  Been having some system issues lately so am thinking of updating to the Digiface USB.

I'm in the US and cannot find one in stock.  Maybe it's a manufacturing / supply issue, like so many things these days, or possibly RME is phasing it out?

I just talked to a small online audio retailer and he told me "No one uses ADAT anymore, so why would anyone stock it? It needs to be special ordered."  Seriously!?  I know a few people still using ADAT units.  Are we that old? Haha! Maybe so...

The RayDat could work for me but I'd rather have the breakout box so my PC can be outside the room from my Converters.

Thank you.

2 (edited by ramses 2022-09-08 02:54:20)

Re: Digiface USB... Backordered or being phased out?

> Does anyone know the status of the Digiface USB?

I would guess delayed by chip crisis, components needed for other devices or not available.
As the Digiface USB is a superb portable and affordable unit where you can set all 4 ADAT ports to SPDIF protocol, this is a unique feature of this box.

> I just talked to a small online audio retailer and he told me "No one uses ADAT anymore, so why would anyone stock it?
Sorry, but this is BS IMHO.

Why would then converter and preamps still use it? See e.g., lat recent RME products like 12Mic, 12Mic-D, M-1610 Pro.

What would be the alternative? AVB and MADI? Yes, theoretically, but not everybody could afford it and not everybody requires that high number of channels. On top, AVB would require LAN switches with AVB support (extra costs). So, ADAT is still an excellent cost-effective digital interface.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Digiface USB... Backordered or being phased out?

Thank you Ramses.

>Sorry, but this is BS IMHO.

I'm in full agreement w/ you. 
I was almost curious enough to see what he thinks has replaced ADAT & would try & sell me, but I didn't have the time to waste & really didn't care to get his opinion or recommendations.

I'm hoping I can figure out my systems issue...  I'm pretty sure it's related to my Nvidia drivers.  It runs fine when it's just the digiface & I monitor from the line out... but when I turn on my Lucid ADAT it starts to crackle & pop after about 10 minutes.

This happened a couple years ago.  I figured out some settings & drivers that got it all stable but the issue has come back recently.  Funny thing is the Machine does not touch the internet & the only change I made was adding a new monitor.  Strange.  I'm going to try a few things before I either change the video card or possibly the Digiface PCI.