Topic: replacing power supply

does it make sense to replace the rme 2-pin power supply with a 3-pin power supply so that the device is grounded?

Something like this: https://www.bicker.de/files/downloads/d … bicker.pdf

Re: replacing power supply

If you have stray current related problems, an extra ground wire connected to a screw of ADI-2 is the cost effective and flexible remedy, something like this:
https://www.conrad.com/p/wolfgang-warmb … et-1337382
https://asset.conrad.com/media10/isa/160267/c1/-/de/001337382PI00/wolfgang-warmbier-2200-113y-esd-erdungsbox-2-00-m-ringoese-4-mm.jpg?x=640&y=640&format=jpg&ex=640&ey=640&align=center

Re: replacing power supply

KaiS wrote:

If you have stray current related problems, an extra ground wire connected to a screw of ADI-2 is the cost effective and flexible remedy, something like this:
https://www.conrad.com/p/wolfgang-warmb … et-1337382
https://asset.conrad.com/media10/isa/160267/c1/-/de/001337382PI00/wolfgang-warmbier-2200-113y-esd-erdungsbox-2-00-m-ringoese-4-mm.jpg?x=640&y=640&format=jpg&ex=640&ey=640&align=center

thank you, but the price is about the same. And I personally think the 3 pin power supply with a Schuko plug more practical for me.

My question would be, would this have the same effect as the grounding module and would it be safe to replace the power supply?

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-06 21:23:48)

Re: replacing power supply

The solution above works, is safe, and doesn’t void the warranty.
All this cannot be guaranteed for a non-standard PSU from Mr. Chin-Cheapo.

There’s even a mod-option for the ground-cable, even a layman can do:
inserting 100 Ohm resistor prevents ground loops while discharging the stray voltage.


What exactly are you heading for, what’s the problem you try to solve?
If you give as detailed as possible information we might be able to help.

Re: replacing power supply

In short, I think it does not make sense, as otherwise such another PSU would have been supplied with the unit

Wavelab, Digiface USB, ADI-2 Pro

6

Re: replacing power supply

Unfortunately that is not true. We would have supplied such a PSU if it were available. For years the PS industry did not want to do it, at least for these small wall warts. We are now in the process to finally receive grounded PS, but until they start shipping with all our products will take some time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: replacing power supply

MC wrote:

Unfortunately that is not true. We would have supplied such a PSU if it were available. For years the PS industry did not want to do it, at least for these small wall warts. We are now in the process to finally receive grounded PS, but until they start shipping with all our products will take some time.

I read this like that in time we will be given the option to order a RME certified, grounded SMPS like any other spare part for those who need that.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-08 01:12:14)

Re: replacing power supply

MC wrote:

...We are now in the process to finally receive grounded PS...

In my experience in 90% or more of all cases a fully grounded PSU causes more trouble then the little stray current of an ungrounded one.

And ungrounded PSU gives you all the options to insert your own grounding scheme.

Best would be, having a PSU with fully grounded primary - for security - and a resistor grounded secondary - to avoid the ground loops you find everywhere in audio.

BTW: there’s not much that can be grounded on a primary of a SMPS encapsulated in plastic.

9 (edited by Curt962 2022-09-08 02:27:34)

Re: replacing power supply

My allegedly Deficient OEM Pwr Supply has been a Platinum Certified Rock Star since it's beginning Four Years ago.  Completely Noiseless. 

This is the PSU that the ADI2 DAC received it's stellar measurements with.  It works similarly for me.

I will NOT replace it.  Deficient installation, with sub-standard, 100yr old, Not to Code electrical Wiring may require KaiS's grounding solution. Here in the US?  I can't insure my property unless it meets Current Electrical Safety Standards. Get it? 

Curt.

* I've never changed my Mind on the stock RME PSU!

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

10

Re: replacing power supply

KaiS wrote:
MC wrote:

...We are now in the process to finally receive grounded PS...

In my experience in 90% or more of all cases a fully grounded PSU causes more trouble then the little stray current of an ungrounded one.
Best would be, having a PSU with fully grounded primary - for security - and a resistor grounded secondary - to avoid the ground loops you find everywhere in audio.

And that is ecxactly what I described in an earlier post. These new PS have a 1k resistor DC minus to PE. Reduces leakage voltage from mains/2 to below 1 Volt. And no ground loops.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME