1 (edited by wafa 2022-09-09 10:51:24)

Topic: User names for routing??

I know this has been asked before, but the threads i read all ended with no resolution.

I am using Free Routing Mode to do insert fx chains (Madiface USB+Babyface mk1+Ferrofish+Cranborne 500adat).

I have named all my channels, but the drop down output list under each channel still uses "1/2" nomenclature.

So when i want to set up a chain I have to count or remember the channels that my hardware is going to. Which appears to defeat the point of naming the channels.

Is there an option to change it to user names in the routing drop down list? If not, can we get one?

I have up to 64 channels, with 24 channels of outboard processing atm. I just want to send to named devices and not have to remember what number channels they are on.

Re: User names for routing??

It's no secret many find TotalMix  confusing. I think adding this feature would go a long way to helping people overcome their confusion with Totalmix. I see no reason why we can name i/o channels but not have those names available when routing.

Any RME staff kindly care to respond?

Thanks in advance.

Proposal: simply route in submix mode, based on a per HW output routing perspective.
It's even more exact as you can clearly see the submix of that particular output.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Proposal: simply route in submix mode, based on a per HW output routing perspective.
It's even more exact as you can clearly see the submix of that particular output.

Thanks for the suggestion ramses. I'll try and get used to submix mode. I just found that free mode enabled me a clearer way to see and create the chain from the inputs row, with the exception of the aforementioned "numbers" rather than named outputs.

5 (edited by Redcliff 2023-01-12 05:06:21)

ramses wrote:

I have been considering patching all of my hardware I/O to/ from my outboard into the respective converters as well and using Totalmix as a patchbay. I am not at my studio at the moment but this confuses me. Does this imply that if you use submix mode, the named output channels will appear under the playback and input channels and the names of the input channels will appear under the output channels if I want to send a playback signal to a processor and then return it to an input channel from the output of the processor? I would be sending 56 analog outputs from outboard processors into AD converters and returning an additional 56 from my DA converters to my analog inputs in different configurations by creating different workspaces and snapshots. Without being able to see names in the drop downs rather than numbers, I think it would be extremely tedious. Iā€™m perhaps misunderstanding something?

Thanks

MADI FX M-32ADDA M-16DA ADI-8QSM x 2 ADI 648 ADI-8 192 ADI-8 DD x 2 ADI-8 DS x 4 Babyface Pro ADI 2

Better wait until you are in the studio and take a look.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13