Topic: Ableton Routing to ADAT (Software Playback)

Hello! I'm fairly new to TotalMix FX, and this question has been asked before in many places, including this forum, but after reading Reddit and here, I'm still struggling to solve the issue.

I have an RME Babyface FS Pro connected to an Octopre Dynamic via Optical (ADAT). (And I'm using Windows)

Everything works great I can hear everything on the monitor, including in Ableton and all the other MIDI devices I have (synths, sequencers, etc.)

Now what I want to do is to be able to take the Ableton Main and be able to use it as Input on other tools (Zoom, Discord, etc.). I have Ableton Main route to ADAT 7/8, and I can see the activity on TotalMix as well as hearing using my headphones.

The problem is that if I see the inputs available, they don't show any activity (I tried all the ADAT, Analog, etc.) The only ones that show activity are the ones mapped to hardware inputs, but those don't include the Main from Ableton.

Before having the RME Babyface I was using an SSL2+ and solving this with ASIO Link Pro (software that was made open source after the developer died, but no one actively maintains it - so not a great solution)

I was hoping I could achieve this without using ASIO Link Pro, as some of the people that recommended that to begin with also claimed that I only needed that because the interface that I was using didn't support Loopback which the RME does, but I don't really understand how to use it or if is the solution I need.

Another thing I tried that I read somewhere else is to remove exclusivity mode on the Windows sound settings for the relevant devices but still no luck. Am I missing something in my approach? Is using ASIO Link Pro the only way to solve it? If so, what are the losses for using that driver instead of the original one?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

Re: Ableton Routing to ADAT (Software Playback)

Use the loopback button to make audio available on the corresponding input.

You do not see LED/meter activity on the corresponding input, the signal is simply there to be recorded.

Remember, loopback on the BBF Pro is implemented post-fader. So do not mute or do not turn down the fader of this particular output. See also: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … ion-en-de/

Some applications can only read audio from AN 1/2, I do not remember exactly, but Zoom might be such a case.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Ableton Routing to ADAT (Software Playback)

ramses wrote:

Use the loopback button to make audio available on the corresponding input.

You do not see LED/meter activity on the corresponding input, the signal is simply there to be recorded.

Remember, loopback on the BBF Pro is implemented post-fader. So do not mute or do not turn down the fader of this particular output. See also: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … ion-en-de/

Some applications can only read audio from AN 1/2, I do not remember exactly, but Zoom might be such a case.

Thank you I ended looking more into loopback and that fixed my issue!