Topic: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 78 / 50 and ADI-2 Pro 262 / 115

Here comes a small update with issues that were found after the last firmware update (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35133). The ADI-2 DAC series changes from DSP49 to 50, the ADI-2 Pro series from 113 to 115.

Pro and DAC

- Bugfix: A preset name consisting only of spaces caused the device to freeze.

-  AutoRef DSD did not work correctly on devices with AK4490.

Pro only

- ADC set to DSD mode caused a false DC warning on the DAC part.

- AutoStandby now also includes signal check of the analog inputs.

The firmware update tools:

Win: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_win.zip

Mac: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_mac.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 78 / 50 and ADI-2 Pro 262 / 115

Thank you very much for the incredible product support!

PEQ - request:
Would it be possible to get higher Q values than 5.0 (at least 7.0 or even higher) for the PEQ?
Or cause such high values undesirable side effects?

Thanks.

3 (edited by Curt962 2022-05-23 16:35:07)

I'm late to the Party once again, but just seamlessly flashed my Vintage ADI-2 DAC to the newest FW 50.  Thanks!

You know...

I would LOVE to be able to Stream FW Updates to my RMI via USB from the BIT-Perfect Rpi!   In this case perhaps simply place the update file in my Server, and send it to the RME via that Route. (Server>Router>Pi>RME)

FWIW:  My SB devices, and even my BT speakers for Travel receive FW updates via streaming.

For me?  It's just a brief (albeit PITA) Cable swap, but if even THAT could be eliminated.. I would like it!  Lot's of Wireless going on here for a reason.

Vielleicht?

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thanks for the updates!

Thank you for your efforts from me too. Top products.

Bug report: Dismiss warning cause subsequent remote messages not shown.

Reproduction steps:

0. Turn off dual phones in settings
1. insert 1/4 inch jacks to both 1/2 and 3/4 HP out.
2. you'll see the "dual phone is off" warning screen. press setup to ignore the message.
3. In remote. press EQ (or other key maps that can show a message)

You'll notice EQ is enabled, but the EQ on/off message is not shown to the screen

@MC:

regarding potential future updates to the ADI2 DAC - would it be possible to integrate the horizontal L/R level meters into either the "Dark Volume" / "Dark Volume Details" screen?

Best regards and thanks!

Please read the manual what these screens are for and why they exist. Adding level meters to them makes no sense.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Please read the manual what these screens are for and why they exist. Adding level meters to them makes no sense.

OK, thanks a lot but please in the future give a link or a version number to the correct manual version for a given firmware update. I have found rev 3.1 of the manual for the ADI-2 DAC fs but (if I'm not mistaken) neither the 3.1 manual says it is valid for firmware DSP 50, nor your original post in this thread says that manual 3.1 is the correct manual for this update.

I would never want or get any other DAC than the ADI-2. Both the hardware and the software are outstandingly professional, I know it's a PITA but please keep us stupid users clearly documented about firmware and cross-related manual versions both on the site and here in the forum.

Thank you again for the quality of music I am hearing daily through your device.

fisico wrote:

please in the future give a link or a version number to the correct manual version for a given firmware update. I have found rev 3.1 of the manual for the ADI-2 DAC fs but (if I'm not mistaken) neither the 3.1 manual says it is valid for firmware DSP 50, nor your original post in this thread says that manual 3.1 is the correct manual for this update.

Each latest manual usually contains all information valid for older firmwares too.
Only that some functions don’t exist in older FW versions.

Anyway, for ADI-2 not much stands against installing the latest FW, unlike others no serious bugs are to expect, and in case it’s easy to go back.

KaiS wrote:
fisico wrote:

please in the future give a link or a version number to the correct manual version for a given firmware update. I have found rev 3.1 of the manual for the ADI-2 DAC fs but (if I'm not mistaken) neither the 3.1 manual says it is valid for firmware DSP 50, nor your original post in this thread says that manual 3.1 is the correct manual for this update.

Each latest manual usually contains all information valid for older firmwares too.
Only that some functions don’t exist in older FW versions.

Anyway, for ADI-2 not much stands against installing the latest FW, unlike others no serious bugs are to expect, and in case it’s easy to go back.

wink

I just updated my firmware for the first time in over a year.  The changes to the B/T functions were great additions. 
But it would be really nice if we could configure the bass boost to be a shelf instead of peak.

Marc_G2 wrote:

But it would be really nice if we could configure the bass boost to be a shelf instead of peak.

The Bass Band (BB) is shelf, and PEQ’s Band No. 1 (B1) is Shelf, Peak and High-Pass selectable.

I suggest noting somewhere that the drivers must be installed in order to update the unit, else the DAC will work fine with Windows drivers but the update utility only shows about and lists the different models and their firmware numbers, but no update action possible.

That info is 2 x in the manual, where it belongs: chapter FUT and Windows driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

16 (edited by Matias 2022-09-10 14:36:01)

Maybe also add in the About page a static text "To update the firmware please install the drivers first" and it becomes idiot proof. smile

I agree with that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am certain that "idiot proof" is not possible.

04gto wrote:

I am certain that "idiot proof" is not possible.

These things have to be done with some "least common denominator" in mind. So that its accesible to most people. Some people could just mess about anything up. Filling diesel to the gasoline tank or whatnot wink

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Request for the following:

1. More EQ bands
2. Higher Q value per band
3. Bass/Treble values to be included in preset

3. You seem to have missed a lot...and 1/2 have been discussed here up and down already...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

22 (edited by jonoaerts 2022-09-15 14:25:39)

MC wrote:

3. You seem to have missed a lot...and 1/2 have been discussed here up and down already...

So you can include the Bass/Treble in the preset?

I have seen the posts about people asking for more eq bands and higher q factors and was just adding my nod as well

23 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-15 15:43:36)

jonoaerts wrote:

Press the EQ button twice:
“Load B/T w. Preset” “ON”

The Bass /Treble gain range is extended to+/-12 dB now too.

24 (edited by jonoaerts 2022-09-15 16:20:56)

KaiS wrote:
jonoaerts wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

But when I load 2 different presets with different Bass/treble values the Bass/treble doesn’t change? It stays as a master setting rather than an individual preset setting?

Ps. I do have the B/T w. Preset selected

And you do have the latest firmware, and saved those presets with that firmware? It seems not, as older presets do not include the BT information.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jonoaerts wrote:
KaiS wrote:
jonoaerts wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

But when I load 2 different presets with different Bass/treble values the Bass/treble doesn’t change? It stays as a master setting rather than an individual preset setting?

Ps. I do have the B/T w. Preset selected

Store the settings to each EQ Preset first.

Ok, will give it a try. Thanks

Is there any way to randomly change the color scheme of the LCD every time I boot up the unit? I kind of get bored with the same color after a week or so and then change it to something else. But if it would just randomly change to one of the themes would be more convenient smile)

29 (edited by fisico 2022-09-17 22:48:12)

helohe wrote:

Is there any way to randomly change the color scheme of the LCD every time I boot up the unit? I kind of get bored with the same color after a week or so and then change it to something else. But if it would just randomly change to one of the themes would be more convenient smile)

I think RME's core business is advanced analog/digital tools for reference quality audio production rather than Halloween/Christmas tree decorations.

I’m getting an unknown software warning when trying to install the latest firmware update tool on my Mac (intel, latest Monterey). It won’t let me install.  Is the package still unsigned perhaps?

Outerface wrote:

I’m getting an unknown software warning when trying to install the latest firmware update tool on my Mac (intel, latest Monterey). It won’t let me install.  Is the package still unsigned perhaps?

If you go to your "Security/Privacy" settings under System Preferences, there should be a box you can check to allow the update.

No thanks, I rather the installer tool be properly signed. RME is a company that’s built its reputation, in part, on doing excellent work with its software. Asking its customers go around long-standing security measures is beneath them.

The FUT is properly signed. Did you download via Safari?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The FUT is properly signed. Did you download via Safari?

I get the same warning; tried to install the driver on a new MacBook with the latest Monterey and can't make it work. Downloaded via Safari from the official RME site.

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

Like Data, I downloaded the FUT dated 2022-08-22 from the RME site with Safari.  The error box reads "RME USB Series Flash Tool can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.  The software needs to be updated.  Contact the developer for more information."

This is NOT an installer. (And neither a driver). And only a warning that can be ignored.

There is also no need to globally reduce security, you can allow only this one app to open (click on the question mark in that warning dialog, or Google for it). And you will have to do so as we are not aware of how to make our files compatible to whatever Apple screws up on a daily base.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

37 (edited by Outerface 2022-10-12 20:13:43)

Hey, I’m not Apple. And it is not a problem I’ve encountered with any of your installers or FUTs or whatever you want to call them before so I reasonably assumed something had gone wrong. But I’m just going to skip this update.

38 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-13 07:10:34)

Outerface wrote:

Hey, I’m not Apple. And it is not a problem I’ve encountered with any of your installers or FUTs or whatever you want to call them before so I reasonably assumed something had gone wrong...

Would be interesting if the mentioned older Flash Update Tool that has worked before on the older MacOS still opens without error (just open the FUT, don’t do the flash again).

Outerface wrote:

Like Data, I downloaded the FUT dated 2022-08-22 from the RME site with Safari.  The error box reads "RME USB Series Flash Tool can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.  The software needs to be updated.  Contact the developer for more information."

I have the same issue running Mac OS 12.6 on Intel. But even worse... after trying to open it (with the same error message just in German), the FUT crashes right after starting, so I don't even get the error message anymore :-(

The FUT did not crash - it immediately exit because there is no RME device found that this FUT supports.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

True :-/
The plug really dropped out :-/
Thank you Matthias

KaiS wrote:
Outerface wrote:

Hey, I’m not Apple. And it is not a problem I’ve encountered with any of your installers or FUTs or whatever you want to call them before so I reasonably assumed something had gone wrong...

Would be interesting if the mentioned older Flash Update Tool that has worked before on the older MacOS still opens without error (just open the FUT, don’t do the flash again).

I actually thought of that before I posted originally but couldn’t find an older FU on the site.  But luckily, I’m not RME either. I’m just a customer who spent a lot of money for a product.  And it’s working fine for my purposes now even though there are a couple of bugs that are RME’s fault and not Apple’s. (Apparently, Apple isn’t the only company that makes mistakes).  Anyway, I’m not going to waste a lot of time troubleshooting this for them.  Even if RME is feeling too annoyed to deal with this now, they will have to sooner or later.

43 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-14 01:13:19)

Outerface wrote:

...Even if RME is feeling too annoyed to deal with this now, they will have to sooner or later.

Opposed to Apple - if there’s something, they will, even sooner than later.

Brand new MacBook Pro and ADI-2.  Downloaded the RME USB SERIES FLASH TOOL but upon launch, it just briefly flashes in the task tray as if it's launching and immediately exits silently without an error or indication of what is going on. 

Followed the steps to boot in safe mode to lower kernel security...

The ADI-2 is detected in the system and can be used with audio? Then the FUT will work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It‘s been a while since the last minor firmware update (115).
Any plans to release new features for the ADI-2 Pro FSR or has it already quietly transitioned into bug fix support?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

It‘s been a while since the last minor firmware update (115).
Any plans to release new features for the ADI-2 Pro FSR or has it already quietly transitioned into bug fix support?

This threads topic has been out of date for months. Latest fw-version of Pro is already 265/116.

When product is finally ready (actually ready -kind ready, not virtual "nerd-ready"), firmware updates naturally cease...

Wasn’t aware about FW version 116.
According to the readme file it doesn‘t add any new functionality and just adds support for newer models.
No need to install this FW version.

@MC
Can we expect any new features in the future for our ADI-2 Pro/DAC devices?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

According to the readme file FW 116 contains a bug fix for the ADI-2 Pro:

08/22/2022: Hotfix ADI-2 Pro 265/116: since version 263 the SRC did not work correctly for SPDIF and AES at Double and Quad Speed.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

50 (edited by hpw 2022-12-11 18:35:40)

Since I run now FW 265/116, I get on ADI-2 Pro & fs a DC protection message as while testing

- on loop back cable
- USB stereo mode as higher than 192kHz
- on 384 as on 768kHz, DC measured is below -140dBFS
- on higher level than -20..25 dBFS & fs/4 pure sine, so it's a high freq. related
- DC protection filter: ON
- Win10 22H2 driver 0.9801

is there any FW 265/116 known issues, while never ever had this!