Topic: Babyface Pro - No Phones Output Sound, No Totalmix window

Hello --

Up until yesterday and for years i've had no issues at all with my Babyface Pro.

Yesterday, all of a sudden there was no sound coming out of the phones output -- in Ableton live 11, in Spotify, Youtube, etc. Sound plays out fine from output 1/2 (my studio monitors). I've tested the headphones on another machine and they work fine.

I tried doing a total reset on Totalmix FX, which didn't solve the issue. Soon after Totalmix FX no longer will open a window -- and when I try clicking 'new totalmix window' there is nothing listed under 'device selection'. When I click create new mixer window nothing happens.

Additionally, when I try opening the fireface USB settings app, it just crashes before opening.

I've tried resetting my computer many times, updated my OS to Big Sur and downloaded and installed the appropriate drivers, and followed the RME kernel instructions for Terminal / Security & Permissions settings.

At this point I am at a loss and don't know what to do.

I am on MacOS Big Sur, 11.7
Macbook Pro (15-Inch, 2019)
2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

Please help!

Re: Babyface Pro - No Phones Output Sound, No Totalmix window

Have you tried FUT ?

https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_mac.zip

If the FUT doesn't detect the Babyface, then the USB cable is the first thing I would swap.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hmm -- I just tried downloading that file from the link, and whenever I click on the RME USB Series Flash Tool app logo, it bounces on my launch bar like it's going to open and then just doesn't/crashes..

Could it still be a USB issue, even if powers on and sends 1/2 output to my monitors from my project files, spotify, etc?

4 (edited by waedi 2022-09-15 03:21:49)

As the FUT doesn‘t detect the Babyface, a connection problem is probably there.
Are you sure the Babyface is not set to class compliant mode ? Holding the keys „Select“ and „Dim“ during powering up will flip the mode to normal mode.
And also you don‘t use any USB hub, right ?

Well -- I'm not totally sure to tell if it's in CC or not -- but I followed your instructions on switching mode, and now the 'Fireface USB settings' app will open and detects the Babyface. However, now I can't get it to output any sound, and Totalmix FX still won't open a window or detect the device.

When I switch modes again, back to the mode it was in before I am able to get sound output. But same issues as before.

The Babyface shows letters after powering up. CC is cc mode and PC is normal mode.
Please try the FUT again when in normal mode and flash it.

7 (edited by andrew.seistrup 2022-09-15 17:22:13)

Where would the letters be? There's no display with letters on it on the Babyface Pro -- things just light up.

As mentioned, i'm able to run the RME USB Series Flash Tool app in one of the modes -- a link is below to a screenshot of what the app reads when I do. However, when in this mode I can't get any sound output. When I switch it back to the other mode, I get sound out into my monitors, but no phones output etc and the RME USB Series Flash Tool app won't open.

Totalmix FX won't open a window in either mode.

https://imgur.com/a/gUAOaUe

Class Compliant mode switching: https://youtu.be/Xs8w3nyZ3s8

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Ah so funny, I never would have noticed the lights spelling out those letters!

Okay, so it's PC mode where the flash tool recognizes the interface, but there's no sound/output coming out of it no matter what output level I set the interface to. When I click 'update' within the flash tool, nothing seems to happen. And still having the same issue with Totalmix FX -- with it just being blank, when I try to open up a window.

Okay, I believe I was able to get everything working! I ran the firmware update again (Fireface USB 327) after ensuring that it was in PC mode, rather than CC mode -- restarted Totalmix fx and it opened up. Did a total reset, assigned my Babyface as the system audio input and output and i'm getting audio through both 1/2 and phones now.

My guess is that I was trying the firmware update while in CC mode and it wasn't actually updating? Best guess.

Thank you both for your help.