Topic: Babyface Pro FS on new laptop: latency higher than expected

I recently got a new laptop (i9 12950HX w/ 64 GB RAM) and Babyface Pro FS for it.  I am surprised to see that the Babyface doesn't provide lower latency than the onboard audio (Realtek w/ ASIO4ALL driver).

I use VE Pro with a full orchestral template and the best I can do with either Realtek or Babyface is ~25 ms.  That latency is consistent with what I've experienced with onboard audio on other laptops but I expected I would get significantly better latency with the Babyface.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to improve latency with the Babyface?

Thanks,

rgames

Re: Babyface Pro FS on new laptop: latency higher than expected

That is odd although I don’t trust off the shelf laptops. What can you set your buffers to? 25ms translates to a very high buffer setting. I use the Babyface pro fs with a i9 desktop and even a buffer of 128 gives about 3ms latency so you must be very high to get 25ms. Have you done all the tweaks to the OS? What is reporting the latency by the way? Can you hear it when playing? Sometimes the reported figure is not always right

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

3 (edited by ramses 2022-09-16 13:55:28)

Important pieces of information are missing in the report.

1. Was RME ASIO driver in use and what buffer size was in use
2. Was ASIO4ALL configured with a comparable buffer size in “samples” or in a different unit like “ms”?
3. Has the same sample rate been in use?
4. How did you measure the latency?

Keep in mind that the latency values in a DAW are being shown from what is compiled in into the ASIO driver of a vendor.
And this is only valid for local analog ports where the converter latency is known, not for ports on external devices behind ADAT.

(side note: RME calculates the values properly, so their driver usually report very precise. In other cases you need to plug a loop and measure with external tools like https://oblique-audio.com/rtl-utility.php).

ASIO4ALL can't do this for obvious reasons. It doesn't know the hardware/converters, has unlike a real ASIO driver no direct access to the audio HW and doesn't know the latency through the Windows audio subsystem.
Depending on which Windows driver ASIO4ALL bases his work, it can use any Windows audio driver and some Windows drivers (all except WASAPI exclusive mode are not even lossless).

So, sorry, but your report is much too vague and leaves many questions open.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Please mind that the BF doesn't actively provide lower latency as such. However, if what you get is comparable to onboard audio, you my not be using ASIO drivers, as Ramses suspected.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks - yes, I'm definitely using the RME Babyface drivers for the Babyface.  And latency is based on what I measured using the RTL utility along with what's shown in Cubase 12.  The values are pretty close in both, accounting for the fact that Cubase separates input/output and the RTL utility combines both.

The latency on the BF is at 1024 buffer (~24 ms output) and the latency on the Realtek is at 512 buffer (~21 ms output).  I get occasional audio dropouts on both at those values but it's OK.  If I drop either to lower latency I get a lot more audio dropouts with the project I'm using as a benchmark.  The 21 ms value for the Realtek is consistent with what I've experienced with onboard audio on a number of other laptops, so that value makes sense.

Regarding the i9 desktop, I also have an i9 desktop with a Fireface 802 and it runs the same project at ~3 ms latency.  Laptops always have higher latency (in my experience) so the difference is expected.

Regarding feeling the latency, I've found that 20 ms is my threshold where I start to notice it.  So they're both workable.  I've been doing ~20 ms with onboard audio on laptops for years and find that it's workable.

So they're both "OK".  The part that confuses me here is that the BF isn't providing lower latency than the Realtek on the same laptop.

If anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know.  I'll keep digging through some configuration options and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,

rgames

6 (edited by ramses 2022-09-16 17:39:51)

> The latency on the BF is at 1024 buffer (~24 ms output) and the latency on the Realtek is at 512 buffer (~21 ms output)

Sorry, but you do not know the real buffer size of the Realtek. Maybe you tell / configure ASIO4ALL to use 512 samples buffer size when talking ASIO protocol towards the application. But in fact, ASIO4ALL is an additional layer between the Realtek audio driver and the application. There is still the Realtek driver performing the final communication towards the audio hardware.

If your Laptop needs 1024 samples buffer size (for the RME ASIO driver) so that no audio drops occur,
then I have to assume that the Realtek will use about the same buffer size as the RME driver,
not only the 512 samples that ASIO4ALL tells you.

> The part that confuses me here is that the BF isn't providing lower latency than the Realtek on the same laptop.

The RME driver will work more efficient compared to the Windows Realtek driver and ASIO4all.
Because a real ASIO driver does not use the Windows Sound infrastructure.
It has direct access to the hardware.
Therefore, RME Windows ASIO driver also work a little more efficient compared to Apple drivers.
Because Apple does not allow direct access to the hardware through something comparable like ASIO.
All needs to go through their sound infrastructure.
See documentation, for Apple, are a few extra buffers required for that reason.

And never forget, ASIO4ALL is based on the Windows drivers and is an additional Layer on top of the usual sound infrastructure. It's only being used / or useful as a workaround in cases where you want (because of bad design) a marriage between devices that do not belong together …. Best example, if you have a recording interface but still want to use USB micros.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

> The RME driver will work more efficient compared to the Windows Realtek driver and ASIO4all.
I'm not sure what metric you're using to define efficiency but the measured latency for the Realtek/ASIO4all setup is about the same as the Babyface.  I'm not concerned about efficiency, I'm concerned about minimum latency. If one driver is less efficient but provides lower latency then I'll use that one.

I agree the stated buffer sizes don't matter.  That's why I measured the latency.  And there's basically no difference.  If I try to go below 20-25 ms with either setup I get a lot of dropouts.

That's the part that's confusing.  I assumed I would get lower latency with the Babyface.  I do not.

rgames

8 (edited by ramses 2022-09-16 19:59:39)

Here you can compare your latencies with latencies of different RME solutions.

There you can see, that the Babyface has the same good values like all RME solutions.
If the BBF has an output latency of 24ms with 1024 samples buffer size, then it would be around 12ms at 512 samples.

Now see below … it's completely on par with other excellent RME products.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2343-ufx-ufx-raydat-latencies-v2-jpg/

As a side note, it's a little confusing that you use RTL tool, but only talk about output latencies.
I would in such cases always refer to the complete RTL (round trip latency).
Then all values have the same scope and match with the measured values of RTL tool and are comparable by this.

ramses wrote:

it would be around 12ms at 512 samples.

Yes, understood.  That is consistent with what I measured and what shows up in Cubase.

To be clear, I cannot run that project at 512 samples on the BF.  I can run at 512 samples on the Realtek but, as you pointed out, there are other buffers involved so the real buffer size is unknown but certainly larger than 512.  But it doesn't matter because the buffer size is not the metric I care about.  That's why my original post mentions the latencies, not the buffer sizes.

Anyway, given that RME has a reputation for lower latency than onboard audio, if anyone has any ideas on why I can't get it then please let me know.

Thanks,

rgames

10 (edited by Muffin 2022-09-16 23:26:53)

rgames1 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Yes, understood.  That is consistent with what I measured and what shows up in Cubase.

To be clear, I cannot run that project at 512 samples on the BF.  I can run at 512 samples on the Realtek but, as you pointed out, there are other buffers involved so the real buffer size is unknown but certainly larger than 512.  But it doesn't matter because the buffer size is not the metric I care about.  That's why my original post mentions the latencies, not the buffer sizes.

Anyway, given that RME has a reputation for lower latency than onboard audio, if anyone has any ideas on why I can't get it then please let me know.

Thanks,

rgames

Here is a link to a review by Julian Krause of the Babyface Pro FS where he measures the round trip latency, among other things. If you go through a few of his reviews you'll see that the Babyface does pretty well with respect to latency. Just as a data point.

You've not said which sample rate you're using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i5iS1ULI6Y&t=859s

11 (edited by ramses 2022-11-10 21:51:10)

rgames1 wrote:
ramses wrote:

To be clear, I cannot run that project at 512 samples on the BF.  I can run at 512 samples on the Realtek but, as you pointed out, there are other buffers involved, so the real buffer size is unknown but certainly larger than 512.  But it doesn't matter because the buffer size is not the metric I care about.  That's why my original post mentions the latencies, not the buffer sizes.

Thanks,

rgames

All channels of a recording interface, no matter whether in use or not, are instantly being transferred over FW/USB/PCIe.
The Realtek has fewer channels compared to the BFP.

It could be that the higher buffer size for the BFP is needed because your laptop cannot process audio data in time, if a smaller ASIO buffer size is being chosen.

Along with a smaller buffer size the CPU needs to react faster to I/O, this also means higher CPU load and a higher interrupt rate.

Some systems have higher internal processing latencies (DPC latencies) or energy saving cannot be turned off fully (laptops to prevent overheating). This can lead to a situation, that a few channels more can make a difference and that you need to select the next higher ASIO buffer size to prevent audio drops.

At least I can tell you that the BBF Pro has the same good performance – according to the selected ASIO buffer size 1024 – as all other RME devices would have. The BBF Pro has no worse driver / performance compared to flagship interfaces like UFX+ or a PCIe based RayDAT.

You could try to inspect and optimize your system further, some systems allow for a little better (lower) DPC latency, so that the CPU cores are not blocked for too long by badly written drivers. Drivers are coded according to programming conventions. The process scheduler is not allowed to interrupt executed drivers (low-level routines) otherwise you can't ensure data integrity. Drivers – once running on a CPU core – need to detach themselves from the CPU core after a while (programming conventions). There are certain drivers that over stress their time budget, maybe because the programmer didn't know better or perhaps to reach better performance values in benchmarks, who knows.
You can use the tool LatencyMon to look for drivers with too high DPC values. Try to disable not needed devices/drivers (Wireless, Bluetooth and alike). Or sometimes one driver version works better than another.
Many years ago I had issues with my Lenovo Laptop caused by the internal graphic chip in the CPU.
Luckily, I had a 3rd party nVidia chip built-in. Once I used the nVidia chip for Firefox, all audio drops during music playback were gone, even at the lowest ASIO buffer size of 48 (old UFX). Before, I had to compensate this issue with a buffer size of 256.

At the end of the day, you get the best performance
— using desktops, not laptops
— using selected components and drivers (check DPC performance with LatencyMon)
— getting rid of energy saving settings in BIOS, Windows and on your GPU (powermizer tool for nVidia)
— using the best suited Windows energy saving profile (Ultimate Performance)
— also prioritizing background services on Windows can still help.
— depending on the DAW, enabling MMCSS for ASIO in the RME driver can also make a difference

A collection of URLs with tuning tips you can find here, maybe you find something additional / interesting for you:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 04#p186404

With a nicely selected / tuned system you can reach an excellent performance, see my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … cks-de-en/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … mponenten/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … -X10SRi-F/