1 (edited by diana 2022-09-21 22:26:55)

Topic: popping changing sample rate

earlier when i was listening to music i heard a pop, i then figured out what it was by switching songs and i noticed, every time i switched sample rate 1-2 pops happened. this has never happened before and fixed itself when i restarted the adi-2 dac fs, is this anything to think about getting fixed or could it have just been a bug? i know the adi-2 is supposed to mute when changing sample rate so i assume this failed for some reason and required a restart

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-21 23:36:15)

Re: popping changing sample rate

Might even have been an issue on the source side, USB hickup or whatever.

As long as your restart permanently fixed it nothing to worry.
These things happen.

E.g. occasionally Tidal on iPhone misses to switch the sample rate up, resulting in a strange alienated low pitch sound.
The first time it happened with an unknown song, so I though it sounds like this on purpose smile
Restarting just Tidal fixes it.

KaiS wrote:

Might even have been an issue on the source side, USB hickup or whatever.

As long as your restart permanently fixed it nothing to worry.
These things happen.

E.g. occasionally Tidal on iPhone misses to switch the sample rate up, resulting in a strange alienated low pitch sound.
The first time it happened with an unknown song, so I though it sounds like this on purpose smile
Restarting just Tidal fixes it.

i was not using tidal at the time but i also don't have any usb issues apparently, although i didn't check before i restarted if that matters

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-21 23:42:30)

Don’t fix it if it’s not broken - I’ve long given up to hunt these type of ghosts if they don’t really annoy me.

Listening to music is more fun than analyzing error protocols.

5 (edited by diana 2022-09-21 23:46:01)

KaiS wrote:

Don’t fix it if it’s not broken - I’ve long given up to hunt these type of ghosts if they don’t really annoy me.

i agree, but maybe mc has some explanation for this. as u said, these things happen sometimes so it could have just been one of those times, btw, off topic but do u know if it's possible for the adi-2 to damage headphones? i think it has a way to stop that before it happens and gives a warning right?

diana wrote:
KaiS wrote:

i agree, but maybe mc has some explanation for this. as u said, these things happen sometimes so it could have just been one of those times, btw, off topic but do u know if it's possible for the adi-2 to damage headphones? i think it has a way to stop that before it happens and gives a warning right?

There's no way to tell.
You should hear it when the headphones are overloaded, and ear problems are more likely. I would recommend not turning up the volume too much under the headphones in order not to damage your ears.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

diana wrote:

...do u know if it's possible for the adi-2 to damage headphones?

Depends on the headphones model.

Which one do you use?

ramses wrote:
diana wrote:
KaiS wrote:

There's no way to tell.
You should hear it when the headphones are overloaded, and ear problems are more likely. I would recommend not turning up the volume too much under the headphones in order not to damage your ears.

i meant from loud pops (unintentional damage)

9 (edited by diana 2022-09-22 11:18:51)

KaiS wrote:
diana wrote:

Which one do you use?

mainly focal utopias currently, how would this depend on the headphone? i meant unintentional, sorry, should have been clear

10 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-22 14:46:43)

diana wrote:
KaiS wrote:
diana wrote:

Which one do you use?

mainly focal utopias currently, how would this depend on the headphone? i meant unintentional, sorry, should have been clear

Different headphone models can take different amounts of power before breaking.
No figures are available for the Focal Utopia, Focal doesn’t specify a power limit.

The only thing that can be said:
Full power from ADI-2 on your Utopia would be 134 dB SPL loudness, same like a gunshot.
I’d assume the pops you experience are not that loud, more like the music you are listening to, which would be way in a save range.

ADI-2 has several protections built in, like the warning screen for HiPower, the Clipping/Overload Detector that mutes the output and the DC Protection options.

KaiS wrote:
diana wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Which one do you use?

Different headphone models can take different amounts of power before breaking.
No figures are available for the Focal Utopia, Focal doesn’t specify a power limit.

The only thing that can be said:
Full power from ADI-2 on your Utopia would be 134 dB SPL loudness, same like a gunshot.
I’d assume the pops you experience are not that loud, more like the music you are listening to, which would be way in a save range.

ADI-2 has several protections built in, like the warning screen for HiPower, the Clipping/Overload Detector that mutes the output and the DC Protection options.

yea i was wondering about those protections, i imagine they will work well. thanks for the help again kais, really appreciate it