Topic: Product release cycle?

Original UCX was released in 2012 as far as I know and UCX II in 2021. That's 9 year product cycle. Does that sound about right? I'm just trying to figure out approximately when the next gen of UFX should be coming out.

Re: Product release cycle?

HardRock wrote:

Original UCX was released in 2012 as far as I know and UCX II in 2021. That's 9 year product cycle. Does that sound about right? I'm just trying to figure out approximately when the next gen of UFX should be coming out.

If you read this forum regulary then you should have seen the message from MC, that no thunderbolt chips are available now, therefore the UFX+ can't be built.

If you look at the RME webpage you might have noticed that the UFX+ is not listed anymore.

So .. I would expect an UFX+ successor as the next flagship device with MADI support.

Whether it will have thunderbolt .. see MC's comments .. lets see ;-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
HardRock wrote:

If you read this forum regulary then you should have seen the message from MC, that no thunderbolt chips are available now, therefore the UFX+ can't be built.

If you look at the RME webpage you might have noticed that the UFX+ is not listed anymore.

So .. I would expect an UFX+ successor as the next flagship device with MADI support.

Whether it will have thunderbolt .. see MC's comments .. lets see ;-)

I mean, I wasn't asking about Thunderbolt. Everyone's aware of the chip shortage, but it's predicted to end next year at some point. I was wondering when RME is planning on refreshing their flagship interfaces. If following the 9 year release cycle, UFX+ was released in 2016, that would mean it's successor is to be expected in around 2025, or could it be sooner than that?

By the way, UFX+ is still very much listed on RME's website. Just checked it myself.

> that would mean it's successor is to be expected in around 2025, or could it be sooner than that?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 64#p192364
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 77#p192377

No UFX+ can be built anymore as there are no TB chips available anymore.

Flagship interfaces are UFX II and UFX+. UFX II can be continued as it doesn't need TB.
So RME will need to bring out an successor for the UFX+ and from what I read most likely without TB.

> By the way, UFX+ is still very much listed on RME's website. Just checked it myself.

On the German website, it's not anymore there in the product list. But no matter whether it's listed or not .. how should RME be able to build one if there are no TB chips available for the UFX+?! Should be clear that something different is needed and should also be clear that RME will not wait until 2025. Customer need flagship interface with support for MADI.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

> that would mean it's successor is to be expected in around 2025, or could it be sooner than that?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 64#p192364
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 77#p192377

No UFX+ can be built anymore as there are no TB chips available anymore.

Flagship interfaces are UFX II and UFX+. UFX II can be continued as it doesn't need TB.
So RME will need to bring out an successor for the UFX+ and from what I read most likely without TB.

> By the way, UFX+ is still very much listed on RME's website. Just checked it myself.

On the German website, it's not anymore there in the product list. But no matter whether it's listed or not .. how should RME be able to build one if there are no TB chips available for the UFX+?! Should be clear that something different is needed and should also be clear that RME will not wait until 2025. Customer need flagship interface with support for MADI.

They don't need Thunderbolt. USB 3.0 supports 5 Gbps, USB 3.2 supports 20 Gbps and USB 4.0 (published in 2019) supports 40 Gbps.

Now I'm pretty sure even basic USB 3.0 throughput is way more than enough for UFX+. So Thunderbolt is not really an issue, wouldn't you agree?