Topic: Can I combine a Fireface 802 and the Babyface ?

Hello.

I own a Babyface blue edition (not the PRO one). I'm very happy with. I use it on a Windows 10 PC for home theater purpose, in 2.0 channels.

I'm doing a big upgrade of my system with 10 channels : basically it is 7.1 channels (.1 is the LFE) but with two subwoofers so I need on sound card side 7 outputs (routed with 7 channels) + 2 outputs (routed with the same LFE channel).

Can I combine a Fireface 802 and the Babyface to achieve this on the same Windows computer. All of this works in ASIO.

Thanks
Alex

Re: Can I combine a Fireface 802 and the Babyface ?

You can connect the FF802 via adat to the BF and this gives you additional 8 analog output sockets.
In Totalmix these outputs are the adat 1 to 8 .
there you go with 8 signals to where ever you want.
And you have also additional 8 inputs, 4 of them are mic inputs.
You can connect 4 headsets, having 4 persons in the theater group receiving their own mix and you can record their speech directly during a presentation.
On the Babyface itself you can connect two headsets, then 6 persons are embed in your system, just give them real food.
No burger delivery from ASIO driver yet.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2021-02-01 12:26:27)

Hi Alex and waedi,

I would do it the other way around and make the more advanced interface (802) to the main interface. Both is possible, but after reading this you will agree, that you have more advantages this way.

A few steps:

Recommendation: connect the 802 to your computer, best via USB, then you can also perform firmware updates through USB which is not possible with Firewire.

1. 802: In the driver settings dialog perform the following settings

• 802 as clock master; clock source: "internal"

• set output format of ADAT2 to "SPDIF" protocol

2. Connect 802 "ADAT2 OUT" to Babyface "ADAT IN" using a TOSLINK cable.
    I can recommend Mutec cables: https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_1m.htm).

3. Do not connect USB so that the device is in stand-alone mode, see also manual ch 31.2
    (https://www.rme-audio.de/download/bface_e.pdf):

• In stand-alone mode, the unit operates as AD- and DA-converter. Analog inputs are routed to the digital outputs, digital inputs to the analog output (that's what you need).

• When receiving a digital input signal in SPDIF format, it will sync itself on the external sample rate, from 32 kHz to 192 kHz.

Advantages:

• the 802 is the more advanced interface with better technical specs

• you can also use the other channels of the 802 (Mic inputs, phones, ADAT I/O)

• you can use higher clock rates up to quad speed (192 kHz) without loosing channels. In your proposal to connect the 802 through ADAT to the BBF you can only use single speed up to 48 kHz to be able to transfer the 8 analog channels.

• the 802 will learn the sample rate from the application and the BBF automatically through SPDIF

Option1: get an ARC USB if you want a remote control for the TM FX control room, to be connected to an USB port on PC.

Option2: use an ADI-2 FS instead of the Babyface, more modern converters with better specs, then you can either sell Babyface or use it for other / mobile purposes.

Not 100% sure because I do not own a 802.. Another thing to consider might be with which setup the 802 starts in stand-alone mode, if no ARC (the old Advanced Remote Control, which is not available anymore on market) is connected.
According to the manual you can store settings in each of the 6 profiles, but its not fully clear whether one of those will be loaded per default duriing startup of the device.
It would be a little "add-on work" having to send the proper  MIDI command after each power cycle, to restore the settings of one of the six profiles. This also requires stand-alone MIDI control to be enabled, see manual ch 28.6, which can have certain side effects. According to manual: Note: When not needed the stand-alone MIDI operation should not be active, as the unit will react on MIDI notes after power-on, and will also send MIDI notes.
This is an additional reason, why I would prefer to use the 802 as primary device, assuming the assumptions are correct.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi

I am looking to combine my Fireface 802 with a Babyface as well. If the Babyface is connected to the 802 via ADAT in standalone mode, will I be able to control my main output with the babyface knob? Im looking to use the babyface in the same way one would use the ARC usb in the studio, but have the ability to use the babyface as the main interface while traveling, leaving the 802 behind in my main studio. 

thank you,
Jon