Topic: Direct AVB Connect between MacBook and M1610-pro

Hi,

I would like to establish an AVB connection directly between my 2021 M1 MacBook (12.4) via ethernet to the 1610-Pro.

My problem: the Mac audio-midi-setup doesn't show an AVB device.

Here is my setup:

- To connect the Mac I am using the adapter chain TB 3 -> TB2 and then TB2 -> Ethernet.

- I plugged an ethernet cable into the (PRI) port on the 1610-pro. The green LED on the right is green and on the left top it is blinking, i.e. there is a basic connection in place

- I checked the hardware option in the network setup and ensured AVB/EAV Mode is ticked.

Any ideas what I could do to fix the problem?

Reason I am doing this: I would like to use the 1610-pro as an audio interface. I just need the stereo out.

Thanks,
Fred

Re: Direct AVB Connect between MacBook and M1610-pro

Update:
When I plug the ethernet cable into the (SEC) port on the 1610-pro, the device actually shows up under the network devices.
But when I press "identify" the entry disapears again.
Also, the entry disapears when checking the tick-box infront of the entry.

3 (edited by mruebsamen 2022-10-19 18:43:43)

fred27 wrote:

Update:
When I plug the ethernet cable into the (SEC) port on the 1610-pro, the device actually shows up under the network devices.
But when I press "identify" the entry disapears again.
Also, the entry disapears when checking the tick-box infront of the entry.

Hi @fred27,
I wrote a detailed how to here…
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30826
This is already 2 years ago, but I guess it still should be fine. Just scroll down…
Best regards, Marcus

Hi @fred27,

Marcus' instructions will work just fine. Fortunately, Apple has also improved their AVB support since then, so using AAF as stream format works now too.
The so called "acquire-mode" (ticking the box next to the M-1610 in the network device manager) unfortunately isn't compatible with the current Milan specification, so the detour via the virtual audio configuration is still necessary.
I'm however quite optimistic that this might change in the future.

Best
Marc

Thank you very much for your replies.

I worked through the AVB Audio config tool and according to the matrix view my MacBook (Talker) is connected to the 1610-pro (Listener).

However, I do not see the additional audio interface in the Audio-Midi-Setup on the Mac. Any idea what this might be?

Thanks,
Fred

Hi Fred,

I was able to reproduce your problem by replicating your setup (Macbook M1, TB3-TB2-Adapter, TB3-Ethernet-Dongle).
Normally I'm using Sonnet's TB3-Ethernet-Adapter which is a nice option to avoid the additional adapter.

What helped, was setting the clock source of your Mac's AVB entity from Mac System Clock to Audio Input Stream 1.

https://aes3.de/s/NrwEdPAPH87gDPs/download/macavbentity1.png

Not sure if it was necessary to connect this input stream to a valid source in the matrix, but I did so for good measure.
Interesting enough, I've only had to do this once. Afterwards I was able to set clock source back to Mac System Clock, unplug and replug the ethernet dongle, etc, the Core Audio device always was visible or re-appeared as expected.