1 (edited by sinusforce 2022-10-22 13:59:45)

Topic: Fireface UC Kernel Panic on M1 and Intel

Hi there,

usually I was using the Fireface on Windows now for lots of years with no trouble. Now I was thinking about switching back to Mac (after the new M1 came up) and tried it out on my working Laptop (M1 Macbook Pro from 2020 with Monterey 12.6).

Driver installation was hacky and I followed all the steps descriped on various sources (like https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277). But the Fireface was never really recognized even though I also allowed it in the security settings and so.
It never showed up under Audio Settings and TotalMix never was connected.

When I try to launch the Fireface USB Settings App it will crash with or without a Kernel Panic like described in this thread:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33903
Most Kernel Panics came up after I unplugged and re-plugged it back in without restart of the Laptop. Otherwise the app just closes immediately.

Firmware still is 126/138 as I cannot flash update on any mac to 127/138. I tried it with my private old intel based Macbook with Big Sur 11.6. The Fireface behaves exactyl the same: Driver installation is done, no Audio showing up, USB Settings crashes with Kernel Panic.

The flash updating app also just immediately closes afte launch (same on M1 and Intel).

I also tried switching the USB cable but it did not help.

Is my Fireface possibly broken? I own it for over 10 years now so it's not from the newest series or something.

Thanks for any help,
Carsten.

Re: Fireface UC Kernel Panic on M1 and Intel

First - did you forget to change the UC into AP mode?

Second - that might be the reason you couldn't update the firmware on your old computer - there is no reason that should not work, unless there is no driver installed on that machine.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Fireface UC Kernel Panic on M1 and Intel

Well, sorry that was really stupid - I simply forgot about that! Firmware update was now possible and after that the Fireface also works pretty well with the M1 Macbook! Thank you very much :-)