Topic: [Solved] ADI-2 DAC FS - Certain tracks are inaudible

I recently purchased an ADI-2 DAC FS. USB input from MacBook Pro, Coax input from Marantz CD player. XLR out to Bryston Amp.

While listening to familiar songs like Doobie Brothers’ “Blackwater” or Pink Floyd’s “Us and them”, I noticed certain parts of the songs where almost inaudible. For example, you can’t hear half the harmonies after 3:15 in “Blackwater”. I have the CDs so I compared the same songs from different sources: itunes USB vs CD Coax. Exactly the same results. I tried the same songs through my preamp bypassing the DAC completely and the "missing" tracks were clearly audible.

I reset the DAC with USB unplugged as directed in the manual but the issue persists. This happens with many songs from different artists and my comparisons were all done with USB itunes vs Marantz coax CD.

Intriguing! I am sure I am doing something wrong. Thank you in advance for your help.

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-22 01:19:33)

Re: [Solved] ADI-2 DAC FS - Certain tracks are inaudible

The only reason I can think of:
One of the XLR cables is mis-wired, reversing pin 2 - 3.
This would invert the polarity of left to right, causing cancellation.

As the XLR plugs are easy to unscrew open, you can have a look:

• Open both XLRs of one cable by unscrewing the black plastic part and pushing the plastic inlets out of the front metal part with the back of a pencil.
• Plug the XLR’s inlets together.
• Look if same color wires meets.

Do this for both cables.

Thank you for your reply.
Since my last post, I unplugged XLR and output through unbal RCA to Bryston unbal RCA. Got the exact same results. I also did a firmware update, same results. Should I still try the XLR fix you suggested?
Thanks again!

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-22 01:41:22)

No, do you have both speakers running?

Any ADI 2 DAC setting changed after factory reset?
Did you see the “Reset done”-message when doing the reset?

I do! And, to identify any possible problems with the amp, I carefully disconnected the DAC and tested with the same audio sources through my preamp. Carefully. Through the preamp and without the DAC, the "missing" tracks are clearly audible.

Yes, I carefully followed all reset procedures. I am certainly willing to do it again.

Also, after reset, I did not adjust any settings. I immediately tested the same audio and got the same results.

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-22 10:28:49)

I’m in my holidays (ADI-2 Pro with me smile ), now managed to listen to both the mentioned tracks.

They have one nowadays unusual thing in common:
A very high amount of stereo left/right out-off-phase signal.

This is an effect used relatively often in that era’s music productions (Pink Floyd, Doors, King Crimson, etc. etc.), to create pseudo-stereo out of a mono instrument/vocal track.
The downside, these sounds would cancel out when played in mono (*1).

I’m quite sure that’s what happens here.

Have a look at ADI-2 DAC’s setting, should be:
• I/O / Line Output / Settings / Mono / “OFF”
• I/O / Line Output / Settings / Width / “1.00”
• I/O / Line Output / Settings / M/S-Proc / “OFF”
• I/O / Line Output / Settings / Phase Invert / “OFF”
• I/O / Line Output / Settings / Crossfeed / “OFF”
• I/O / Line Output / Settings / De-Emphasis / “Auto”
• I/O / Line Output / Settings / Balance / “<C>”

• I/O / Line Output / Parametric EQ / EQ Enable / “OFF”
• I/O / Line Output / Bass/Treble / B/T Enable / “OFF”
• I/O / Line Output / Loudness / Enable / “OFF”

If the above doesn’t solve it, next test:

Switch: “I/O / Line Output / Settings / Mono /“ “ON–OFF”, you should hear a big difference.
If not, something outside ADI-2 DAC is wrong.

Remark (*1):
For this reason, to avoid missing sounds in the mix when played e.g. on radio stations broadcasting in mono, quite frequently a mono mix version was released of the same song these days.

Many thanks for the detailed and informative response. I will keep you posted.

I appreciate you taking the time to listen to the songs, especially since you are on holiday!

Problem solved! Thank you!

The Mono ON-OFF setting did the trick. I appreciate your time, help and patience. I will be sure to carefully read the manual before posting in the future!

CDs sound so much better through Coax. This DAC is excellent, and I am still learning.

Many thanks!

11 (edited by ramses 2022-10-22 20:28:30)

Did I understand correctly, you heard the whole time in mono and didn't recognize that it is not stereo?

Suggestion:
— document your settings in a file on your computer
— recall factory settings, dial-in your usual listening volumes and save settings to setup 1
— make your usual other changes and save settings to setup 2

Then you can recall proper factory/needed settings at any time with proper volume.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

12 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-22 21:37:50)

michk wrote:

...I reset the DAC with USB unplugged as directed in the manual but the issue persists...

His first posting in this thread, misleading!

The problem lies in the factory reset process itself.

You have to press and hold Encoder 1 and the VOL button, but people mix it with the VOLUME dial, which is more prominent.

The need to unplug USB cable before reset, for certain parameters to become valid, is another obstacle.

People think they did a factory reset, but didn‘t.
Happens all the time.

Mono state is visible in the status bar on the screen, all the time, and in all screens. Hard to overlook...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Mono state is visible in the status bar on the screen, all the time, and in all screens. Hard to overlook...

Most of these problems, new user within first month of use of device,  seem to be user/human errors not understanding configurations process. People on this forum exercise a lot of patience with such behavior and bogus claims.

I suggest people “study “ the manual, not just read it superficially, and experiment and constantly check , recheck your settings.

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A