Topic: Babyface Pro FS with Apple TV

Hello!

I'm currently using the following setup for listening lossless music with Apple TV:

Apple TV --> HDMI --> Samsung ue43nu7192u TV --> HDMI (arc) --> Bluesound Node --> RCA cables --> HiFi AMP --> Stereo speakers

As you can see in this configuration Bluesound streamer doesn't actually stream anything and simply acts like a DAC. So I'm thinking about ditching it in favour of the Babyface Pro FS which I already have. It will also allow me to connect my guitar, bass, computer while still being able to stream something from Apple TV. The routing should be as following:

Apple TV --> HDMI (arc) --> Samsung ue43nu7192u TV --> Optical cable --> Babyface Pro FS --> XLR-2-RCA cables --> HiFi AMP --> Stereo speakers

I'm not really sure that it will work and actually have some questions about it:

• Samsung optical out supports only 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS formats. Will Babyface PRO FS support those? Will the sound quality still remain lossless?

• Does Babyface Pro FS have a better/worse/on par DAC than a Bluesound Node? How to check it?

• Will I still be able to control the volume with the TV remote or I'll have to do it with the Babyface?

Would also be thankful for other thoughts why I should or shouldn't make the switch

2 (edited by ebmmbongo 2022-10-26 12:52:58)

Re: Babyface Pro FS with Apple TV

hitpopdimestop wrote:

Hello!

I'm currently using the following setup for listening lossless music with Apple TV:

Apple TV --> HDMI --> Samsung ue43nu7192u TV --> HDMI (arc) --> Bluesound Node --> RCA cables --> HiFi AMP --> Stereo speakers

As you can see in this configuration Bluesound streamer doesn't actually stream anything and simply acts like a DAC. So I'm thinking about ditching it in favour of the Babyface Pro FS which I already have. It will also allow me to connect my guitar, bass, computer while still being able to stream something from Apple TV. The routing should be as following:

Apple TV --> HDMI (arc) --> Samsung ue43nu7192u TV --> Optical cable --> Babyface Pro FS --> XLR-2-RCA cables --> HiFi AMP --> Stereo speakers

I'm not really sure that it will work and actually have some questions about it:

• Samsung optical out supports only 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS formats. Will Babyface PRO FS support those? Will the sound quality still remain lossless?

• Does Babyface Pro FS have a better/worse/on par DAC than a Bluesound Node? How to check it?

• Will I still be able to control the volume with the TV remote or I'll have to do it with the Babyface?

Would also be thankful for other thoughts why I should or shouldn't make the switch

Hi
Afaik the Babyface will not play back DD/Dts, but your tv can be set up for PCM: https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/tv-a … io-format/

My only real question is why would you want to take this long and winding road to play back music, when you can just connect your node to the Babyface?

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

ebmmbongo wrote:

Hi
Afaik the Babyface will not play back DD/Dts, but your tv can be set up for PCM: https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/tv-a … io-format/

Seems like this is the way to go, I don't need more than 2 channels anyway and if I understand everything right, PCM still provides lossless sound and my TV's DAC won't be taking part in sound processing.

ebmmbongo wrote:

My only real question is why would you want to take this long and winding road to play back music, when you can just connect your node to the Babyface?

What are the real benefits of keeping the streamer that is not used as a streamer? I want to figure out whether I'm missing something. Bluesound cannot stream Apple Music in lossless format as a standalone device. If I connect it with AirPlay it gives only 256 kbps AAC (AirPlay limitation) and my intention was in listening lossless. That's why I still need Apple TV as a source. Using Babyface instead gives quite a lot of flexibility: I can still playback music, plug my MacBook to it to use some guitar amp sims, connect bass and a microphone all at the same time. And what is also important - I can return the Node and save some 500-600 bucks. Just need to be sure that it will work fine.

BTW thanks a lot for your reply, it really helps to solve this puzzle smile

hitpopdimestop wrote:

What are the real benefits of keeping the streamer that is not used as a streamer? I want to figure out whether I'm missing something. Bluesound cannot stream Apple Music in lossless format as a standalone device. If I connect it with AirPlay it gives only 256 kbps AAC (AirPlay limitation) and my intention was in listening lossless. That's why I still need Apple TV as a source. Using Babyface instead gives quite a lot of flexibility: I can still playback music, plug my MacBook to it to use some guitar amp sims, connect bass and a microphone all at the same time. And what is also important - I can return the Node and save some 500-600 bucks. Just need to be sure that it will work fine.

BTW thanks a lot for your reply, it really helps to solve this puzzle smile

There isnt any benefit, I did not realize you were going from Apple music, so I thought you could do Qubos, Tidal, Deezer or some such service, and that runs on the Node.
But since it is apple music I muxst ask why not MacBook -> RME Babyface -> Amp -> speakers;-)

As for the remote working on spdif out I do not really know, some sets have had the option, others not, so I guess you´ll have to dive deep into the menus on your samsung tv.
good luck

ebmmbongo wrote:

There isnt any benefit, I did not realize you were going from Apple music, so I thought you could do Qubos, Tidal, Deezer or some such service, and that runs on the Node.

Yes, If I were using one of those services I would consider keeping the Node, but subscribing to a new service doesn't make much sense just to keep the streamer. My current setup also doesn't allow me to use headphones at all and that is also a nice to have feature of the Babyface.

ebmmbongo wrote:

But since it is apple music I muxst ask why not MacBook -> RME Babyface -> Amp -> speakers;-)

Apple TV is a nice standalone solution as any family member can use it just with an Apple TV remote or an iPhone. And of course we sometimes watch movies so we will be able to do that with a better sound.  I mostly use MacBook in another room and will probably just plug it into Babyface occasionally to use guitar amp simulators.

ebmmbongo wrote:

As for the remote working on spdif out I do not really know, some sets have had the option, others not, so I guess you´ll have to dive deep into the menus on your samsung tv.
good luck

Thanks! I hope I'll be able to try the setup tomorrow, unfortunately it's not that easy to find XLR-to-RCA cables and my amp has only RCA inputs.

6 (edited by ebmmbongo 2022-10-26 21:40:10)

If you want it to be easy, get a couple of those and plug them into your babyface
https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/na2fpmf

ebmmbongo wrote:

If you want it to be easy, get a couple of those and plug them into your babyface

Thanks! That will probably be the way to go

8 (edited by ebmmbongo 2022-10-27 09:39:17)

hitpopdimestop wrote:
ebmmbongo wrote:

Thanks! That will probably be the way to go

Sorry, that was bad advice:(

I just remembered reading this in the manual, so the neutriks are not a valid way to go, better do solder your own cables...

"The short circuit protected, low impedance XLR line outputs do not operate servo balanced! When connecting unbalanced equipment, make sure pin 3 of the XLR output is not
connected. A connection to ground might cause a decreased THD (higher distortion) and
increased power consumption!"

I made it work so I'll answer my own questions in case someone might be interested.

hitpopdimestop wrote:

Samsung optical out supports only 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS formats. Will Babyface PRO FS support those? Will the sound quality still remain lossless?

PCM is used in this case and it is lossless, if you need more than 2 channels - don't go in this direction.

hitpopdimestop wrote:

Does Babyface Pro FS have a better/worse/on par DAC than a Bluesound Node? How to check it?

Babyface has a much better DAC to my ear. I could easily notice pretty dramatic improvements, checked that on the list of songs that my acoustic system wasn't capable of reproducing in a pleasant way. Kudos to RME!

hitpopdimestop wrote:

Will I still be able to control the volume with the TV remote or I'll have to do it with the Babyface?

Volume control is now done only with the audio interface itself.

ebmmbongo wrote:

Sorry, that was bad advice:(

I just remembered reading this in the manual, so the neutriks are not a valid way to go, better do solder your own cables...

"The short circuit protected, low impedance XLR line outputs do not operate servo balanced! When connecting unbalanced equipment, make sure pin 3 of the XLR output is not
connected. A connection to ground might cause a decreased THD (higher distortion) and
increased power consumption!"

Hm, I can't hear that distortion kicking in, but thanks for such a catch. I'll see if it's possible to do any magic to the Neutriks or I'll have to switch the cables.