Topic: UFX II wobbly on flat surface.

I just got my brand new UFX II and it's wobbly on perfectly flat surface. I intend to keep it on my desk and the gap is about 2-3 mm, so it's quite noticeable and annoying. The unit is essentially the shape of a propeller. Not something I'd expect from a product costing north of two grand.

Before I contact the seller I wanted to check if this common at all? What's even more annoying is that the seller seems to only have had one unit in stock.

Re: UFX II wobbly on flat surface.

That is Strange and should not be common with any unit, RME or any other developer.

To me it seems like the shell of the unit has gone through a sudden change of temperature from hot to cold, coursing it to warp.

At least i would hope this is the issue.

If you send it back then the seller would have no choice but to send back to manufacture, assuming it is not the sellers fault, as also the unit may have been left in extreme heat like sunlight then had a sudden change into cooler temps.

If its brand new, i would kick the door very hard and arrange a return for my founds back the search else where for another unit.

If the unit is indeed RME and of course the amount you paid, a return should be the first thing you should get onto and be patient
for a perfect unit to purchase.

The units are hard to get hold of but that should not stop you from the best RME can offer and i am not sure RME are into warped units

novabusrst wrote:

That is Strange and should not be common with any unit, RME or any other developer.

To me it seems like the shell of the unit has gone through a sudden change of temperature from hot to cold, coursing it to warp.

At least i would hope this is the issue.

If you send it back then the seller would have no choice but to send back to manufacture, assuming it is not the sellers fault, as also the unit may have been left in extreme heat like sunlight then had a sudden change into cooler temps.

If its brand new, i would kick the door very hard and arrange a return for my founds back the search else where for another unit.

If the unit is indeed RME and of course the amount you paid, a return should be the first thing you should get onto and be patient
for a perfect unit to purchase.

The units are hard to get hold of but that should not stop you from the best RME can offer and i am not sure RME are into warped units

I'm in UK where the temperatures are very stable, usually ranging from 10-20C this time of year. I don't know what happened, but I don't like it. Reading your comment now I don't want to find out there's something else wrong with the unit when it's too late to return. It could also be factory defect that slipped through QC, although considering RME's reputation I hope not.

I guess I'm gonna have to return it and buy elsewhere. It's too bad though, I paid £1800 on GuitarGuitar for this one and the next best place selling it, Andertons, the price is £2000.

Yes the units do fluctuate in pricing, sometimes i wonder if the prices go by what mood the sellers  in

When purchasing a unit of this type and the price you should demand a very good quality both in build and function.

The right decision is normally the one that is painful as it may leave you unable to work how you would preferer,

I would say you are making the right decision,

Hope you find another unit soon and with a price with in reason of the one you purchased

Contact the seller and ask to exchange the product for another one or ask to send it for factory repair. I think it will be alright. RME will take care of it.

sjzstudio wrote:

Contact the seller and ask to exchange the product for another one or ask to send it for factory repair. I think it will be alright. RME will take care of it.

Yeah, I'm gonna RMA the RME, so to speak.

I was also thinking if you rack mount your unit maybe would not look so bad

novabusrst wrote:

I was also thinking if you rack mount your unit maybe would not look so bad

Of course, if I've put it in a rack chances are I wouldn't have even noticed the defect. But I don't have a rack, my setup is very minimalistic, so it sits on my desk.

Besides this raises other questions as per above comments. What caused it? What if it was exposed to high and sudden temperature fluctuation while in transit? Or it just fell through QC cracks at the factory. If so then what else could be wrong?

In any case, I've returned it already and will be shopping for a new one as soon as my refund is processed.

yes i guess when a unit comes that sort of issue its not comfortable,

actually its a good job it was on your desk as you said, hope it gets sorted speedily