1 (edited by Michael123 2022-10-31 14:15:25)

Topic: Operating noise ADI 2 DAC FS „SOLVED“

Hello,
I recently purchased an ADI 2 DAC FS. So far the unit works well, however there is one thing that annoys me and since I could not find any info about that topic in this forum or via google I would like to start a new thread.

Do your units of the ADI 2 DAC FS produce any noise? I mean the unit itself, not through its outputs!

Mine is having a high frequency noise that is hard to describe, I would call it a hiss. I hear it very clearly through the ventilation holes on the sides.

To be honest, I use the unit in my hifi system and normally sit two metres away and then it is not audible. But whenever I make adjustments with the knobs at the unit it annoys me.

I am wondering whether that is normal. I guess many users are using the unit on a desk and if I would want to use it there, the noise would be a no-go for me. I was expecting the unit to be dead silent.

Please let me know about your experience. I would like getting to know whether my unit might have a fault or whether I have to accept that noise. Thanks in advance!

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-15 23:51:09)

Re: Operating noise ADI 2 DAC FS „SOLVED“

There were reports of high frequency tones from the TFT display that change with brightness settings.

Noise from the inside is untypical.

Please check if display brightness changes the noise.

Thanks KaiS, it indeed seems to be coming from the display. At 80% the noise is loudest, below and above getting quieter but always noticable. I now also found other forum threads when I search for „display noise“.

Sounds like this is „normal“ with the unit and I probably have to live with it, or are there other users that do not have any noise?

I will in practice then probably use the auto off function of the display to make sure there is no noise during operation and set 100% when turned on during adjustments.

This thread seems useful for those who have the same issue:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34379

In the meantime I also contacted RME to check what they propose

RME told me that my unit needs to be repaired/modified. After RME confirmed in advance that the noise will be completely gone after the repair and my dealer (hifi-suite from Berlin) confirmed that I could still get my money back in case the noise would not be completely gone, I sent the unit in for repair to Audio AG.

The unit has been repaired on the same day as it arrived at Audio AG, so only had to live without it for a few days in total.

I can now confirm the noise is gone! Thanks to RME and also my dealer for the quick and professional responses!

Add a “SOLVED” to the thread title, so others with the same problem see there’s a solution.

Done