Topic: UFX no longer registering audio input and no output audio

I'm guessing something is broken. I cannot get any of the 4 front mic / line inputs to register activity on the meters. However playing back music from the computer or DAW registers on the meters on the UFX I just do not get any sound from monitor outs or the headphone jacks.

So the display seems to show no issue but no sound gets in and no sound gets out. I am running the latest drivers. It was not working before I updated the drivers so I updated them to see if that would help. It did not. I am running Ventura but I am not sure that is the issue since the mic is not registering regardless of if the interface is connected to my Mac or not.

Anyone else experience this? Hoping it's a DIY fix! I have a had this for almost 10 years, just reaaaaaally don't want to be replacing anything right now.

Thanks!

Re: UFX no longer registering audio input and no output audio

Have you tried a reset mix under options also not saying you dont know but sometimes we forget, to engage or disengage instrument line, on TM that has court me out from time to time

When the analog inputs show UFL in TM FX instead of noise (-1xx dBFS) then the power supply for the ADC/DAC seems dead. With a 10 year old unit bets are that the internal power supply has to be replaced.

And you can easily rule out Mac/drivers as the unit works fully in stand-alone mode. Remove USB and see if the level meters on the display shows signals, etc.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thedommer wrote:

I'm guessing something is broken. I cannot get any of the 4 front mic / line inputs to register activity on the meters. However playing back music from the computer or DAW registers on the meters on the UFX I just do not get any sound from monitor outs or the headphone jacks.

So the display seems to show no issue but no sound gets in and no sound gets out. I am running the latest drivers. It was not working before I updated the drivers so I updated them to see if that would help. It did not. I am running Ventura but I am not sure that is the issue since the mic is not registering regardless of if the interface is connected to my Mac or not.

Anyone else experience this? Hoping it's a DIY fix! I have a had this for almost 10 years, just reaaaaaally don't want to be replacing anything right now.

Thanks!

If it is indeed (most likely) the power supply (as Matthias suggests), it is definitely a DIY fix if you're comfortable with a screwdriver.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

novabusrst wrote:

Have you tried a reset mix under options also not saying you dont know but sometimes we forget, to engage or disengage instrument line, on TM that has court me out from time to time

hey yes I have tried this. Unfortunately not the answer

mattrixx wrote:
thedommer wrote:

Thanks!

If it is indeed (most likely) the power supply (as Matthias suggests), it is definitely a DIY fix if you're comfortable with a screwdriver.

Awesome. is there a guide for this somewhere? And is there a visual way of noticing if it's fried? I hope this is the case!!

7 (edited by thedommer 2022-11-07 14:30:32)

MC wrote:

When the analog inputs show UFL in TM FX instead of noise (-1xx dBFS) then the power supply for the ADC/DAC seems dead. With a 10 year old unit bets are that the internal power supply has to be replaced.

And you can easily rule out Mac/drivers as the unit works fully in stand-alone mode. Remove USB and see if the level meters on the display shows signals, etc.

yep I tried standalone and no dice there also so I hope you are right that it is just the power supply. So I would need to buy something like this?

https://www.rme-shop.com/acatalog/RME-NTRME4_PSU.html

Also if it is only recapping a power supply I could also do that on my own I think. Well really it's I have a friend come over who is an electrical engineer to do it. Will open it up this week and pretend I know what I am doing, then have him do it.