Topic: HDSP(e) User Space Drivers for Ventura (MacOS 13.x)

I finally upgraded my M1 Mac Big Sur (11.x) to Monterey (12.x). I had to re-authorize my HDSPe RME drivers (HDSPe and MADI FX) and there was a warning informing me that Kernel Extension (Ktext) drivers would no longer be supported for the next release of MacOS (Ventura - MacOS 13.x).

I've seen a notice that there's a beta USB driver that works in user space, but I haven't seen anything regarding HDSP(e) devices including the MADI FX.

Will there be any user space drivers available for HDSP(e) devices when Ventura is released in the Fall?

Re: HDSP(e) User Space Drivers for Ventura (MacOS 13.x)

I asked the same question back in April:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35103

They said they will do the USB/Thunderbolt version first, which leads here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35063

The latest reply was also dated back in April.

The good news is that the 4.21 driver still works in Ventura RC, which also means its going to work as well in the final release next week. But I don't think what you are hoping for will be available anytime soon.

The HDSPe series drivers are working here and based on the latest Thunderbolt ones. We just need a bit more time to add support for the myriad of PCI/PCIe cards that we issued over the years.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the update!

MC wrote:

The HDSPe series drivers are working here and based on the latest Thunderbolt ones. We just need a bit more time to add support for the myriad of PCI/PCIe cards that we issued over the years.

I'm really, *really* hoping that the new drivers, when they arrive, will fix some of the bugs I've been having on my system for months/years.

The one's which really get in my way - aggregate devices (I have 3 linked Multifaces) not working on Cubase, which seems to have been fixed with the beta USB drivers.
Noise on one of my Multiface's analogue inputs, which clears if I reboot the system. That really feels like an initialisation sequencing issue.

If you need someone to try-out new drivers, let me know.

Are beta drivers available for the HDSPe MADI FX that will install on Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Pro?
I have a HDSPe MADI FX inside a Sonnet box connected via Thunderbolt that still works on Monterey but aren’t working with Ventura on another bootable drive connected to the same computer.

If not, will compatibility arrive sometime this month?

Thanks
BigPocketMusic

The MADI FX drivers are in the works. But the older kernel based drivers should work on Ventura as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just installed the "classic" HDSPe driver on my MacBook Pro 16" M1 with lower security settings in startup options.
Then my newer TM version was replaced with the old one and that did not open with the DriverKit versions for Thunderbolt and USB.
So I had to download and replace TM with the new one.
Just in case someone wants to use multiple interfaces.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

9 (edited by BigPocketMusic 2022-12-02 03:14:29)

Hello Matthias, are User Space drivers for MacOS, Monterey and Ventura coming sometime this month December 2022?
Both of my MADI cards (HDSPe MADI and HDSPe MADI are in need of updated drivers.

I’ve installed Monterey on an External 2TB SSD and the current driver will not load, even after after applying all of the suggested fixes found in numerous searches on the forum..

None of them are working anymore.. I’ve applied the terminal commands to reset the driver cache. I’ve made the adjustment to the security policies. I’ve disabled SIP.  Everything has been tried.

My Ventura installation on another computer has the same issue..
I now wondering if Apple has removed the option to allow the driver entirely in the most recent versions of both OS’s mentioned.

How close is RME to releasing compatible drivers?
I do understand the other interfaces from other manufacturers are experiencing the same problem. Antelope’s
Thunderbolt drivers won’t load either..
RME has always been ahead of the others with support for new Apple and current operating systems so I wonder if my RME MADI interfaces are only going to work if I roll both my systems to an earlier OS. Something that don’t want to do because I’m running the latest versions of Logic and Pro Tools.

As much as you’re able to say respecting NDS’s. Please give an update on what’s coming regarding User Space drivers for M1 and M2 computers that are using HDSPe cards in External boxes such as the Sonnet Se 1 via Thunderbolt.

Thanks and Best Regards.

Thanks and best regards

The new drivers should indeed come in the next weeks, before Christmas. We are still testing them internally on as many computers as possible, before posting them to the forum. Installation will in many cases require to first perform a firmware update on an older system (with the former kernel drivers), so just getting a new computer plus a TB to PCIe extension box will not make all existing cards work (very new ones already have a matching firmware, list follows).

On the positive side we were able to make all older HDSPe systems work. Even a rare item like the RPM can still be used then with latest Mx and Monterey. The HDSPe MADI FX has been added to this driver as well. Exciting times coming up!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your reply Matthias.

MC wrote:

The new drivers should indeed come in the next weeks, before Christmas. We are still testing them internally on as many computers as possible, before posting them to the forum. Installation will in many cases require to first perform a firmware update on an older system (with the former kernel drivers), so just getting a new computer plus a TB to PCIe extension box will not make all existing cards work (very new ones already have a matching firmware, list follows).

On the positive side we were able to make all older HDSPe systems work. Even a rare item like the RPM can still be used then with latest Mx and Monterey. The HDSPe MADI FX has been added to this driver as well. Exciting times coming up!

That's indeed some exciting great news!

Since the HDSPe MADI FX has been added to the same driver, does that mean that a single driver will support 3 HDSPe PCIe devices? For example, could I use the HDSPe MADI FX along with up to 2 other cards like the HDSPe MADI, HDSPe RayDAT, HDSPe AES or the HDSPe AIO (Pro) at the same time as long the clock is setup correctly?

Exactly that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

This is awesome!
Sorry but I have no experience with using multiple cards: They will both/all share the same Total Mix instance?

As usual - yes, but each device has its own window.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Looking forward to it! I guess one question is - will the new firmware work with old drivers, if necessary?

MC wrote:

Right, thanks.

But the DAW see them as one device?

/m

mlprod wrote:
MC wrote:

Right, thanks.

But the DAW see them as one device?

/m

Normally, you'd create a MacOS aggregate device to combine them.

19 (edited by Purusha 2022-12-21 15:16:24)

OK - so I'm now using 4.22!!!

Sadly, the aggregate device issue on Cubase is still there (note I only have that problem with my 3 linked Multiface cards).

No new firmware yet...?

Edit: the noise issue (fixed by rebooting a couple of times) I've mentioned previously, is still there too. sad

20 (edited by BigPocketMusic 2022-12-21 23:24:51)

Help needed in Mac OS Ventura. Today I installed version 1.32 of the HDSPe MADI FX driver and it still is not showing up in Security and Privacy so I can enable it. 

The Allow button never appears.

I am looking for it in Security and Privacy before restarting my M1 MacBook Pro.
After rebooting I looked in System information and then the Extensions tab.

There I can see RMEHDSPeFX version 1.32.
It’s shows up as being Norarized but not loaded.

In the “read me hdsp.rtf found after unzipping the 1.32 download there’s a reference to “RME DriverKit”.

Where can I find the new RME DriverKit?
Or if it was actually included in the hdspe_fx.pkg. How are you getting it to load?

My firmware on both of my MADI cards is HDSPe FX version 91.

My Secutity Police is set to Reduced security and allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers.

The instructions found at https://rme.to/reset were followed to the letter. The driver permissions were reset and I got the dialog box informing me of it after restarting but still I not getting the driver to load
after reinstalling it again.

I'm grateful in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Best regards..

BigPocketMusic

DriverKit drivers should be available here later today.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That’s good news.
Thanks MC.

Would i need to also update my firmware?
I’m on version 91.

23 (edited by Purusha 2022-12-22 18:22:55)

New firmware posted today, doesn't seem to update version for HDSPe cards. Still version 20. Is that right?

Edit: Oh hang on - sorry! Just seen the betas.

Sorry, but what are the DriverKit drivers and how do they differ from the regular driver?

mlprod wrote:

Sorry, but what are the DriverKit drivers and how do they differ from the regular driver?

All info is here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36508

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I can't aggregate my 3 Multifaces with the new DK driver. Posted more detail in the linked thread.

Hello!
I'm new to this forum.
I write because I just upgraded my MacBookPro M1 to Ventura.
My sound card is a MADIface PCIe with Sonnet Echo.
I downloaded the latest drivers from the RME site but the Mac doesn't see the card.
Even when I launch the firmware upgrade it doesn't open.

The latest drivers from the website are kernel based. The steps to perform on M1 machines are described in the driver readme.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK! Unfortunately I first upgraded the OSX to Ventura before upgrading the RME firmware. Now when I try to open the RME firmware update (any) this application does not open.

There is no need to update the firmware with the old kernel drivers. But you need to enter Recovery mode and reduce security for the driver to work.

Or is the driver you installed not from the website but the beta 1.02 from this forum?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried to install the drivers on the RME site. I also tried with the new Drive Kits

32 (edited by Architecture 2023-04-21 18:00:52)

I am also struggling to get my Madiface HDSPe reliably working on Mac M1 Monterey or Ventura.

Using a Sonnet Echo Expresscard to TB adapter, I have reduced the security settings in Recovery Mode, flashed the firmware to Driverkit 24, alternating between the 4.24 and DriverKit package, I sometimes get it to work after resetting all extensions in recovery.

Initially upgrading to Ventura, the Madiface did work. I have not been able to replicate it since.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated. There are not a lot of MADI options available for M1.

Otherwise this device works perfectly on my 2006 MacBook Pro, 2010 Sony Viao on Expresscard.

Thank you.
Architecture.