Topic: How long will it take for the RME UCX II to be back in stock?

Hello gentlemen,

I am an audiophile and a quarter-professional guitarist. I am starting to want to buy RME equipment, and in particular I am very confused between RME UCX II and UFX II. Recently, I see UFX+ seems to have disappeared. So there are only 2 options left.

If I later expand the studio with external devices. For example, the 500 series connects via ADAT, and uses only about 10 microphones maximum, recording with 3-4 instruments each, vocals and vision for the next 20 years. So will UCX II be enough for me, gentlemen?

Through the posts at the forum, I am deciding between UFX II and UCX II. Although it is difficult to make a choice, I would like to know how long it will take to be able to order it in Europe.
Most of the European stores I searched for didn't have both available.

Thank you,

2 (edited by ramses 2022-11-08 07:54:17)

Re: How long will it take for the RME UCX II to be back in stock?

Hi Toanmaster. Welcome to the RME user forum.

There will be a successor of the UFX+.
MADI would give you safety for the future that the setup could be expanded at any time.

Which sample rate are you using in your projects? If you can't exclude to record with double speed casual or in the future, then take into consideration, that two ADAT ports will only deliver half of the channel count (4+4=8) due to port bundling / multiplexing. In this case, the two ADAT channels are quickly in use by one external lunch box.

With double speed, MADI still allows you, to connect MADI capable devices up to 32 channels (64 at single speed).

If you say you are audiophile and if you are not limited in terms of budget, then you could also think about a combination of ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and RME recording interface with TotalMix FX. Then you have all the nice advantages / features of the superb converter / headphone amp for the monitoring section.

Here how you can integrate the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE into your setup by using either ADAT, AES or SPDIF:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/
Some more information about the ADI-2 Pro (evolution / models, features) here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

I am also playing guitar and build up an environment that can also be used mobile for recording a band, so all is 19" based.
In the living room I have a recording and a HiFi corner.
The UFX+ is the center of the solution, and I use the Recording PC as well for Gaming and Office stuff.

For the monitoring and music playback in the recording corner, I use an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE connected to ADAT.

I have a 2nd ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in the HiFi corner with an Optosel 4:1 ADAT/SPDIF switcher in front of it. By this, I can use the HiFi as “Monitor B” in TotalMix FX, for listening music from PC or to use the HiFi for audio from TV or Blu-ray Player (or streamer if I had). Optical SPDIF gives full galvanic isolation here.

If you have a Windows PC you could use e.g., MusicBee and the remote plugin, then you can control music playback by an Android App “MusicBee remote” through Wireless.

In short, clever combination of RME devices can give you a lot of functionality, you only need enough I/O ports.

I am making use of all analog ports of my UFX+ to connect numerous devices:
- two Instr inputs for guitars with different output levels: single coil or humbucker
- connecting guitar to UFX+ Inst input for two purposes: reamping, sending signal to stage tuner also connected to UFX+
- building a parallel effect loop for the Marshall amp
- connecting two Marshall amps for a stereo setup
- two lexicon PCM (81, 91) for different purposes, see below

By TotalMix FX routing, I can use the two external FX (Lexicon) for these three use cases:
- PCM81 for guitar, PCM91 for DAW as external effect
- Both Lexicons for guitar
- Both Lexicons for DAW

The 12Mic connected through MADI is an advantage, then I have enough Mic inputs for 2×2 Mics to record the two amps.
I am using already two Instr inputs of the UFX+ for guitars (Instr9/10 for humbucker, single coil) only two left for Mics.
Remote control of the 12Mic Mic inputs is possible through “RME MIDI remote” or by LAN connection and using a Web browser. Auxdevice, remote control through TotalMix FX, is promised but not yet implemented.

My current setup here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … -2022-jpg/

There is no must, to build it this way. I only want to demonstrate that you have more options if you select the components wisely with a little ports reserve on top, not only analog, but also digital ports.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: How long will it take for the RME UCX II to be back in stock?

ramses wrote:

Hi Toanmaster. Welcome to the RME user forum.

There will be a successor of the UFX+.
MADI would give you safety for the future that the setup could be expanded at any time.

Which sample rate are you using in your projects? If you can't exclude to record with double speed casual or in the future, then take into consideration, that two ADAT ports will only deliver half of the channel count (4+4=8) due to port bundling / multiplexing. In this case, the two ADAT channels are quickly in use by one external lunch box.

With double speed, MADI still allows you, to connect MADI capable devices up to 32 channels (64 at single speed).

If you say you are audiophile and if you are not limited in terms of budget, then you could also think about a combination of ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and RME recording interface with TotalMix FX. Then you have all the nice advantages / features of the superb converter / headphone amp for the monitoring section.

Here how you can integrate the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE into your setup by using either ADAT, AES or SPDIF:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/
Some more information about the ADI-2 Pro (evolution / models, features) here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

I am also playing guitar and build up an environment that can also be used mobile for recording a band, so all is 19" based.
In the living room I have a recording and a HiFi corner.
The UFX+ is the center of the solution, and I use the Recording PC as well for Gaming and Office stuff.

For the monitoring and music playback in the recording corner, I use an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE connected to ADAT.

I have a 2nd ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in the HiFi corner with an Optosel 4:1 ADAT/SPDIF switcher in front of it. By this, I can use the HiFi as “Monitor B” in TotalMix FX, for listening music from PC or to use the HiFi for audio from TV or Blu-ray Player (or streamer if I had). Optical SPDIF gives full galvanic isolation here.

If you have a Windows PC you could use e.g., MusicBee and the remote plugin, then you can control music playback by an Android App “MusicBee remote” through Wireless.

In short, clever combination of RME devices can give you a lot of functionality, you only need enough I/O ports.

I am making use of all analog ports of my UFX+ to connect numerous devices:
- two Instr inputs for guitars with different output levels: single coil or humbucker
- connecting guitar to UFX+ Inst input for two purposes: reamping, sending signal to stage tuner also connected to UFX+
- building a parallel effect loop for the Marshall amp
- connecting two Marshall amps for a stereo setup
- two lexicon PCM (81, 91) for different purposes, see below

By TotalMix FX routing, I can use the two external FX (Lexicon) for these three use cases:
- PCM81 for guitar, PCM91 for DAW as external effect
- Both Lexicons for guitar
- Both Lexicons for DAW

The 12Mic connected through MADI is an advantage, then I have enough Mic inputs for 2×2 Mics to record the two amps.
I am using already two Instr inputs of the UFX+ for guitars (Instr9/10 for humbucker, single coil) only two left for Mics.
Remote control of the 12Mic Mic inputs is possible through “RME MIDI remote” or by LAN connection and using a Web browser. Auxdevice, remote control through TotalMix FX, is promised but not yet implemented.

My current setup here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … -2022-jpg/

There is no must, to build it this way. I only want to demonstrate that you have more options if you select the components wisely with a little ports reserve on top, not only analog, but also digital ports.

Thank you, Ramses

There are really no words to describe the detail you gave me in your comment. It is valuable and full of enthusiasm in your detailed description.

I will try to follow your instructions, it seems to describe through the picture that you showed me, it is quite similar to what I am aiming for.

Wish you all the best