1 (edited by Ulduarn 2022-11-07 11:06:04)

Topic: RME UFX II - MIC 9/10 Channels aren't Sending Audio to DAW

Running Windows 10, Totalmix 1.67 and Bitwig 4.4.2/Cubase 12

I have a mic and guitar going through MIC 9 & 10 respectively.

This set up has worked for as long as I can remember, never had any issues. Today I load up my Bitwig project and both are not working in the DAW. There is a signal coming through TotalMix, if I increase the db on the H/W input channels 9/10 I can hear them fine (through TotalMix to Monitors) but for some reason it's not working with Bitiwg. I have also tried updating drivers etc.

I checked MIC 11 & 12 and they are working fine. I then also checked in Cubase and got the same results, no signal from MIC 9/10 but I do get a signal from MIC11/12.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be here? My completely uneducated guess is that it's a software issue seeing as TotalMix/the UFX unit itself recognises the signal, but there's some kind of issue with it transferring it through to the DAW?

Re: RME UFX II - MIC 9/10 Channels aren't Sending Audio to DAW

How is your WDM devices configuration in the Settings dialog ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2022-11-09 07:13:23)

waedi wrote:

How is your WDM devices configuration in the Settings dialog ?

That is not relevant here at all. The DAW (ASIO capable application!) accesses the UFX II via the ASIO driver.

Ulduarn wrote:

Running Windows 10, Totalmix 1.67 and Bitwig 4.4.2/Cubase 12
I have a mic and guitar going through MIC 9 & 10 respectively.

This set up has worked for as long as I can remember, never had any issues. Today I load up my Bitwig project and both are not working in the DAW. There is a signal coming through TotalMix, if I increase the db on the H/W input channels 9/10 I can hear them fine (through TotalMix to Monitors) but for some reason it's not working with Bitiwg. I have also tried updating drivers etc.

I checked MIC 11 & 12 and they are working fine. I then also checked in Cubase and got the same results, no signal from MIC 9/10 but I do get a signal from MIC11/12.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be here? My completely uneducated guess is that it's a software issue seeing as TotalMix/the UFX unit itself recognises the signal, but there's some kind of issue with it transferring it through to the DAW?

Did you check already, that Mic inputs
EDIT: 09 and 10
are working by routing audio directly to the phones output of the UFX II?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yeah, I've checked Mic 11 & 12 as you describe. They are working fine both in the DAW and through the Phones1/2 output and the AN1/2 (main) output in TotalMix. Just to clarify, Mic 9 & 10 are working in this fashion as well but for some reason not through the DAW.

Another weird issue I'm experiencing is that the MADIface Series Settings no longer opens, tried uninstalling that and reinstalling but no luck. Same issue persists and can't even find the install files on my PC anymore.

I ended up calling the distributor in my country, and spoke to a tech - they tried to troubleshoot with me over the phone but were also perplexed by the issue. They're forwarding it through to RME support so we will see what they say.

If anyone has any ideas in the interim though, I'd really appreciate it! smile

Ulduarn wrote:

There is a signal coming through TotalMix, if I increase the db on the H/W input channels 9/10 I can hear them fine (through TotalMix to Monitors) but for some reason it's not working with Bitiwg.

What do you mean with increasing the db?

Do you mean the fader of the HW input? This fader is only relevant for the currently selected HW output/submix and does not amplify audio coming from the microphone.
Did you click to the tool/wrench symbol of HW input Mic9 and set the gain?
What Mic did you connect? For a condenser Mic phantom power is needed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by ramses 2022-11-09 08:23:12)

If driver settings window does not show up I would:
- check Autostart settings in task manager, whether MADIface settings is activated

If that is the case, continue:
- check USB connection, replug on both ends (UFX II and PC side)
- check whether UFX II is not in CC mode
- check whether you can see UFX II in Windows device manager

Ulduarn wrote:

Another weird issue I'm experiencing is that the MADIface Series Settings no longer opens, tried uninstalling that and reinstalling but no luck.

TotalMix FX is accessible, but only the driver settings cannot be opened or is the "MADIface Series Settings"-icon not visible at all? Did you hide this icon, check the triangle if icons in the notification area are hidden.

The driver settings are part of the MADIface driver and can't be uninstalled.
It's only required to install the latest driver and firmware, download links see below.

Ulduarn wrote:

Same issue persists and can't even find the install files on my PC anymore.

Then download it again, also check whether firmware needs to be updated:
MADIface driver         :  https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_m … _09794.zip

Firmware update tool: https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_win.zip
If the fut tool can access the UFX II, then it is a good indication that the device is reachable through USB.

By checking / validating:
- Autostart of MADIface driver/settings
- USB cable connection
- that the device is NOT in CC mode
- reinstallation of drivers
- checking for installation of latest firmware
you should bring it to the point, where the device is fully accessible, and driver settings can be started again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me trouble shoot this, ramses.

I can confirm that I did a reset of TotalMix and that fixed the problem. I also did the troubleshooting guidelines as you described and the MADIface Series Settings is now functioning normally again. Crisis averted and balance has once again been restored to the universe. Thanks again smile