1 (edited by chlorinemist 2022-11-12 08:54:07)

Topic: Apple Silicon: UFX vs. UFX II, Babyface vs Babyface FS

Hello. I'm looking to buy an interface for an Apple Silicon M1 Mac. Researching this forum, I have gathered that there may be a difference between the older generation hardware (UFX I, UCX I, Babyface non-FS) and the newer models in terms of their compatibility with Apple Silicon. But I am not clear on exactly what these differences are, and how much this should factor in to my decision on what to buy. Stability with my M1 Mac Mini is my #1 priority, but if the performance of the older models is highly acceptable that'd be great to know.

Also a direct comparison between UFX and UFX II in general would be great. I have mostly only been able to find comparisons between UFX I or II vs UFX+, rather than UFX I and II directly compared to each other.

2 (edited by ramses 2022-11-12 09:11:42)

Re: Apple Silicon: UFX vs. UFX II, Babyface vs Babyface FS

First, I would categorize your requests into these two subcases according to the RME driver being used:
- UFX: Firewire driver
- UFX, Babyface Pro, Babyface Pro FS: USB driver
- UFX II: MADIface driver

Next, you could ask whether USB or MADIface driver have known issues with either Apple Silicon M1
or any of the available macOS versions.

EDIT: I see my categorization seems to be of limited use regarding your question, see MC's posting :-)

Anyway, here some differences - at least under Windows / ASIO - in terms of drivers being used.
Maybe this is similar/same for macOS:
- USB/FW driver allow for pitch, the lowest ASIO buffersize 48 samples @single speed
- MADIface driver: doesn't allow for pitch, the lowest ASIO buffersize 32 samples @single speed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Apple Silicon: UFX vs. UFX II, Babyface vs Babyface FS

Some older units need a firmware update to be able to use the latest DriverKit drivers. But that change in firmware is just an identifier, not functionality or design. In other words - no difference between old/new.

The differences between UFX and UFX II had been explained when it was released:

The RME Fireface UFX II features the German manufacturer’s latest high-end AD/DA converters, optimised analogue I/O circuits and improved SNR and THD values, guaranteeing pristine, crystal clear and transparent audio. The newly designed PAD-free mic circuit design, with +18 dBu maximum input level (UFX: +12 dBu) and 75 dB gain range (UFX: 65 dB) delivers trouble-free operation for the most demanding of recording situations. The high-power onboard headphone outputs (2 Ohms, UFX: 34 Ohms) feature +19 dBu maximum output level, providing ample output power and volume to both high and low impedance headphones.

DURec (Direct USB Recording): This second generation hardware offers improved functionality and compatibility whilst providing greater reliability than ever before, even with slower or multi-partitioned USB hard drives.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME