Topic: Impedance input values (M32 AD Pro)

What are the input impedance values for the M32 AD Pro? I was unable to find this in the user guide.

Also, are inputs 9-12 really unbalanced on UFX+ units (when using 1/4" and not XLR)?

2 (edited by ramses 2022-11-12 12:21:45)

Re: Impedance input values (M32 AD Pro)

explodingPSYCH wrote:

1- What are the input impedance values for the M32 AD Pro? I was unable to find this in the user guide.
2- Also, are inputs 9-12 really unbalanced on UFX+ units (when using 1/4" and not XLR)?

to -1
You seem to look to an older version of the PDF where this information is missing, indeed, or you overlooked it.
Please check the up-to-date version of the manual and search for “impedance”, then you will find:
Input Impedance 9.5 kΩ

Online Doc          : https://docs.rme-audio.com/shared/
M32 AD Pro HTML: https://docs.rme-audio.com/m32ad/020-16 … ne_levels/
M32 AD Pro PDF  : https://docs.rme-audio.com/shared/_atta … online.pdf

to -2
The English version of the UFX+ manual clarifies it, see chapter 19.2 Mic Line Inst (Front):
"The unbalanced TRS Line inputs (R is connected to ground)..."

Maybe you looked to the German version of the manual, where the information “in boldface” is missing (should be added).

So, the XLR/TRS combo jacks support balanced operation only via XLR (to be used as Mic or Line input).
The TRS input has R connected to ground, so it supports only unbalanced operation for Hi-Z using TS plugs.

BR Ramses
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro

Re: Impedance input values (M32 AD Pro)

ramses wrote:
explodingPSYCH wrote:

1- What are the input impedance values for the M32 AD Pro? I was unable to find this in the user guide.
2- Also, are inputs 9-12 really unbalanced on UFX+ units (when using 1/4" and not XLR)?

to -1
You seem to look to an older version of the PDF where this information is missing, indeed, or you overlooked it.
Please check the up-to-date version of the manual and search for “impedance”, then you will find:
Input Impedance 9.5 kΩ

Online Doc          : https://docs.rme-audio.com/shared/
M32 AD Pro HTML: https://docs.rme-audio.com/m32ad/020-16 … ne_levels/
M32 AD Pro PDF  : https://docs.rme-audio.com/shared/_atta … online.pdf

to -2
The English version of the UFX+ manual clarifies it, see chapter 19.2 Mic Line Inst (Front):
"The unbalanced TRS Line inputs (R is connected to ground)..."

Maybe you looked to the German version of the manual, where the information “in boldface” is missing (should be added).

So, the XLR/TRS combo jacks support balanced operation only via XLR (to be used as Mic or Line input).
The TRS input has R connected to ground, so it supports only unbalanced operation for Hi-Z using TS plugs.

Thanks for the confirmation. In regards to the XLRs being balanced and the TRS being unbalanced, when I made the switch to using the XLR for balanced, I noticed that now I can't get it's input volume to match all my other devices (the equivalent of a standard TRS input on the UFX+ set to "+4dBu".

This is because when setting the XLR input to minimum value (deactivating INST), there is no fine control between 0db and 8db of gain. I need to set it to ~+4db of gain to match.

Is there anyway to make this adjustment so that inputs 9-12 can be balanced and match the signal level (+4dBu) of the other balanced inputs on the device?

4

Re: Impedance input values (M32 AD Pro)

No way other than using +8 dB and external attenuators by 4 (or 5) dB. I would set it to 0 dB and just forget about the difference - where is the problem with having 4 dB more headroom?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Impedance input values (M32 AD Pro)

MC wrote:

No way other than using +8 dB and external attenuators by 4 (or 5) dB. I would set it to 0 dB and just forget about the difference - where is the problem with having 4 dB more headroom?

The problem is that my preference is to have uniform input/output levels. Generally I try to avoid arbitrary variables in recording gear.