Topic: RME | ADI-8 DS MKIII - Level Volume Issue

Hi

I have a Guitar > Radial passive DI > ADI-8 > connected ADAT to RME UFX

In the DAW and TotalMix the level coming through ADAT to the RME is so low, how can I change this?

I noticed there isn't any controls for the ADI-8 in Totalmix itself.

Reading the manual I saw something about the A/D reference control (on the input side), I pressed this a few times and it seemed to help but maybe not enough and also not sure what I'm doing pressing it exactly, I don't know what's the best setting for lowest noise and even the 4.4 one which is the loudest isn't loud enough

Plugging the DI directly to the RME doesn't have this issue however it looks like I still have to enable hi-z INST on the input and add some gain. Sounds like the DI doesn't convert the signal to line level but only makes it balanced?

Re: RME | ADI-8 DS MKIII - Level Volume Issue

Sounds like the DI doesn't convert the signal to line level but only makes it balanced?
Yes that is true for most DI's and most of the time they make it mic level (so even lower) too.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

> In the DAW and TotalMix the level coming through ADAT to the RME is so low, how can I change this?

Use a reference level with a higher sensitivity on the ADI-8.

> I noticed there isn't any controls for the ADI-8 in Totalmix itself.

TM FX Remote control options exist only for preamps with Auxcontrol (currently only Octamic XTC).
Remote control is possible for a few devices using MIDI remote or the newer MIDI remote AVB.
For the ADI-8 there is not remote control option only for ADI-8 QS.

> Reading the manual I saw something about the A/D reference control (on the input side),
> I pressed this a few times and it seemed to help but maybe not enough

Use the reference level with the highest sensitivity then, without overloading the analog input.
The level you see in TM FX.

> Plugging the DI directly to the RME doesn't have this issue however it looks like
> I still have to enable hi-z INST on the input and add some gain.

On the UFX you do not need the Radial DI box, there you can plug the guitar into any of the Mic inputs 9-12.
Plug in the normal TS plug of the guitar cable.
In TotalMix FX click to the wrench symbol and enable Hi-Z by clicking to "Inst" button.

> Sounds like the DI doesn't convert the signal to line level but only makes it balanced?
You also need to select the proper reference level on the UFX balanced inputs.
Did you enable PAD -15 dB on the Radial box by accident?
The Radial's box manual should tell you the output level.. select a proper reflevel on the inputs.
If you do not know anything about reflevels, choose the one where the signal is louder without overloading the inputs on UFX, same as with ADI-8.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Also try the radial on an ufx mic input, that is the proper way to go and it will most likely need some gain.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632