1 (edited by sawsinepulse 2022-11-14 21:02:10)

Topic: UCX II vs UFX II (Expandability? Work with MacBook Pro 2015)?

I'm debating between a UFX II and a UCX II and I'd welcome your advice on comparing the two.

The UFX II offers more, but as it costs 1.5 times as much, so I'm trying to understand the cost/benefit ratio between the two.

• As I see it, there are up to 8 line inputs readily available with the UCX II, and 16 with the UFX II (I know it states that there are a lot more with each -- but I'm counting the actual TSR jacks).  Can the UCX II be easily expanded via ADAT or other means, that is, by attaching another device?  Are there any disadvantages to doing this?  I'm new to ADAT -- what kind of expansion device would I be looking at if I wanted to add more inputs (to bring it from 8 to 16)?  Another UCX? Or are there less expensive routes that would keep the same quality?

• Are the AD and mic preamp capabilities the same in the UCX II and the UFX II?  That is, not the number of them, but the quality of conversion and amp'ing.

• I have a 2015 MacBook Pro running the latest OS/X, 12.14 I believe.  I'm using Logic Pro X.  Would both the UCX II and the UFX II work with that setup?

I recognise that some of this can be resolved by reading the respective specs, but although I've recorded (and published) a non-trivial amount of material, I am no expert and would appreciate any guidance on what are the more important aspects in the features that I should focus on when comparing the two, and would welcome your opinion on how they compare in the end.

I'm leaning towards the UCX II due to price, but only if it's relatively easily expandable to more inputs.  If not, the UFX II seems like it might be a better choice.

(For what it's worth, I'm recording mainly with Eurorack modular synthesisers and vocals, although also other things)

2 (edited by ramses 2022-11-14 22:21:09)

Re: UCX II vs UFX II (Expandability? Work with MacBook Pro 2015)?

An RME device is an investment in the future. Quality and very long driver support, for some devices now over 20 years.
In this respect, I would recommend not to buy too small because despite high resale prices, selling and buying new is not worth it. Rather, buy something bigger.

The flagship interfaces UFX II and UFX+ offer you the best basis for further expansion possibilities of your setup.

The UFX+ offers the best expansion possibilities via MADI, up to 64 channels @single speed, with double and quad speed it is 32 and 16 channels (channel multiplexing).

The UFX II offers the same channel count as the UFX+, but without MADI.

With UFX+ and UFX II, I like that there are 2 ADAT interfaces besides the AES port.

If the UFX+ is too expensive for you, I would recommend the UFX II because it offers more expansion possibilities. Having two headphone outputs is also an advantage.

If you just want it to be smaller and more compact, go with the UCX II. But there you have only one headphone output and 1x ADAT I/O. If you want to connect additional devices via ADAT, for example a preamp with 8 mic/line inputs, then the number of channels is halved to 4 channels when recording in double speed (port multiplexing).

This may fit / suffice, but my recommendation remains, take a UFX II (or even UFX+) if you can afford it, then you have more (expansion) possibilities.

All devices can later be expanded with an ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2/4 Pro SE (connection via a digital port: AES, ADAT, optical or coax. SPDIF) and use the enhanced features of these devices for your monitoring section.

In my blog articles, you will find
- an Excel comparison table of USB/FW/TB recording interfaces
  https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … B-MADIfac/
- how to integrate an ADI-2 Pro into your recording setup
  https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/
- furthermore, an article about the different models of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro FS.
  https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/
- The ADI-2/4 Pro SE is brand new, it is not listed yet: https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-4-pro-se.html

Whatever you buy, it will be a great device, look at ports and features.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13