1 (edited by Skrzak 2022-11-07 11:02:23)

Topic: UFX+ Thunderbolt and USB cables, looking for a 3m solution.

Hi.
I have the cable that came with UFX+. It is 1,8m USB-B to USB-A, USB 3.0 cable, produced by Assman Electronic, Germany. I use it with Apple USB-A to USB-C adapter.
The other cable I have is Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable (display port plugs) with Apple Tb2 (display port socket) to Tb3 (USB-C) adapter.
Both cables are, more or less, 2m. I'm looking for a 3m cable, either Thunderbolt (3, 4) or USB at least 3.1 gen1 (or previously called 3.0).

So 3m, and not to complicate my life, it would be best without adapters, so if Thunderbolt then TB3 or 4 with plugs Dispaly Port and USB-C. And if USB 3.x then USB-B to USB-C.

Do you have any recommendations for cables that DO work as good as the UFX+ stock cable or Apple Thunderbolt?
I know Assman makes USB 3.1 gen.2, USB-B to USB-C but it is only 1.8m long and I need a 3m cable.

My computer is Macbook Pro 2021, so it has Thunderbolt 4, USB4 protocols, USB-C ports.

Ufx+/ Bfp Fs

Re: UFX+ Thunderbolt and USB cables, looking for a 3m solution.

If you don't use any of the MADI channels: I can recommend putting the UFX+ in USB 2.0 mode which is much more forgiving with longer cable runs. You can just use some active USB 2.0 extension/repeater cable, working great here for a bit more than 5m.

If you're using MADI then you need to connect via Thunderbolt or USB 3.0:
Maybe try it with a USB 3.0 extension/repeater cable.
Otherwise there are optical Thunderbolt and USB cables which should work, they are not cheap and not as rugged though.

Ok, sounds legit, for now I'm using not more that 6 mics (+Babyface Pro Fs over adat), so that should work. Thanks.

Ufx+/ Bfp Fs

4 (edited by ramses 2022-11-11 16:13:00)

Alternatively, Corning USB 3 Active Optical Cable 10 m AOC-ACS2CVA010M20
10 m and then an USB3 cable as extension to connect to the UFX+ 3.0 end-device plug.

I just ordered one of those because 3 m is already a little short here as I want to move my rack occasionally
without making thoughts about the USB cable.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/295230890346

Because the dealer is in Portugal, the platform tells you 4-6 weeks delivery … But the seller confirmed to me that he ships immediately, and it should be delivered in around a week depending on where you live.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by ramses 2022-11-16 13:12:46)

Arrived quickly on the 3rd workday and works like a charm.
Original package, sealed, in excellent condition (new ware).

For a quick test, I added the corning optical solution to the 3 m Lindy cable, so I have in total 13 m (10+3).
Since 7 min, no single CRC/USB transport error visible in the MADIface driver settings window.

Will now replace the 3 m long Lindy USB3 cable with a 0.5 m cable:
https://www.lindy.de/0-5m-USB-3-2-Typ-A … ;ci=800504

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13