Topic: HDSP9632 PCI in Win10

Hi everybody, Alex here from the UK, my first post on the forum (hopefully in the right section).

I am RME user for over 15 years, since I've bought my first Digi96/8, later 96/8 PST and PAD, even now I am running two of these cards on Win XP machines and use these every day. However it becomes more and more difficult to maintain these old computers. Recently I've bought a brand new Dell computer with Windows 10 and a PCI slot. I knew that there is no chance to run the Digi 96/8 on Win 10 so I bought also the HDSP9632 (used) and now I run into trouble trying to use this card in the Dell. Applications (including DigiCheck) stop responding, output (when works) is interrupted by random "clicks" on a regular basis.

I use analogue In/Out connected. I was able to obtain through signal but it was spoiled by "clicks.

The card has the latest firmware (155) and I've used the latest drivers (439).

I also have tried to run the HDSP9632 through a PCIe to PCI extender, with exactly the same result.

My old computer runs Win XP and doesn't see the card properly for whatever reason. However I've bought another HDSP9632 and the second card behaves exactly in the same way.

I've checked/unchecked the security settings for microphone in Win 10. Made no difference.

I would appreciate some pointers.

Cheers

Alex

Re: HDSP9632 PCI in Win10

Update. I was reading the forum and found the recommendation to disable power saving modes for the processor. That did get rid of the "clicks" so far, however the problem with the card stopping to operate remains... . Back to forum treasures.

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex. Welcome to the RME user forum.

Here is a collection of forum threads, what you can do to check and optimize your computer.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 04#p186404

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Well I have no solution, but I have both a hdsp9652 and 9632 run fine on win10 64 bit.
Did you already check bios settings for pci and PCIe settings? And latest bios?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I edited my posting and added a lot of useful information what to take care of on a high level perspective, to introduce him to the topic DPC latency, how I measure and some interesting links to background infos.

But I lost everything because there is something like a security token timer in this forum if you post something and it seems the time was over.

This is very disappointing. I lost the text, my time and finally the customer doesn't get this information.

@RME: please adjust timers. It makes no sense to me to post something in between if it doesn't reach final state.
Then it can happen that somebody reads/comments to a posting that is not finalized.
So it is no solution to save every 10 minutes.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I understand your frustration, but seriously: you can loose text not only in that case, but many other occasions/websites as well. Also for other reasons. I learned to always ctrl-c (copy) the text to the clipboard both in-between and before hitting a send/ok button.

I also run a tool wth multi-clipboard support, so I have acess to the last 25 copy processes from a simple menu gui. Super useful in a lot of ways.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by ramses 2022-11-20 12:09:55)

MC wrote:

I understand your frustration, but seriously: you can loose text not only in that case, but many other occasions/websites as well. Also for other reasons. I learned to always ctrl-c (copy) the text to the clipboard both in-between and before hitting a send/ok button.

I also run a tool wth multi-clipboard support, so I have acess to the last 25 copy processes from a simple menu gui. Super useful in a lot of ways.

Thanks for the tip, but you know everyone has their workflow.

But do I have to change my entire workflow because of a forum timer that is perhaps a bit too narrow? Well, I do not know. This has never happened to me on any other forum.

Yes, there are certainly ways to get around this, but it makes working more cumbersome.
Or how would you like it if, when editing your manuals, the word processor told you when you saved, sorry, session timeout, you can no longer save and all changes are gone.

I once browsed the punBB forum, these timers used to seem to have been even more blatant and stupidly connected to the online status of the user. You had to post within a few minutes or the text was gone.
https://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic … -the-time/

But even now, with longer timers compared to the situation in 2008, I find it absurd when you're actively working on a text that you don't even get a warning.
Now after this experience I have a very uncomfortably feeling each time I work on a longer text because I do not know when exactly this happens to me again. I have nothing against spending time for people if the topic is of interest to me, but loosing work for such a reason is extremely frustrating to me.

I dislike changing my workflow for tool deficits or too narrow configured timers. I know, it's not your fault, it's something that comes from punBB, but if there were a possibility to change this, it would be really great.

This is not about changing your workflow, but real life adaptation. Did you never fill out a website contact page to contact a company (because they don't give you an email adress) for info, repair, warranty, questions, write all your text, and then sending that shitty web formular fails? Happens to me regularly, so using ctrl-c for the text part before sending became mandatory.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME