Topic: HDSP Madi FX - im missing something

Hi

Been using RME stuff for about 15 years. I'm upgrading from pci cards system. It has been a long time since i needed help.

I recently upgraded to rme hdspe madi fx card.
win 10 latest updates.
driver pciefx win 218
using Steinberg nuendo 12

in nuendo studio setup I have selected asio hdspe fx as driver. I can see audio activity all the way to the stereo-out channel which so far, I have assigned to numerous outputs on the card to try and troubleshoot and hear something such as the phone output and AES but still silence. I cannot see any activity in the relevant channels in the software output of totalmix. so, I think I'm missing something in nuendo setup or in total mix.   

i have another wdm driver installed and it is a NVidia high-def audio driver. Which I have disabled. The driver buffer is 512 and I've configured 3 WDM devices.  I have deactivated all but the first 8 MADI channels for both input and output. I am synching to internal clock source with sample rate ay 48khz. When nvidia high def driver is activated, i can hear music played by the media player through this driver but switching to any of the WDM devices assigned to madi 1 of 2, or the phones etc output leads to silence.

I have tried not to be vague. If you want motherboard information and bios etc i will oblige.

Thanks for your help.

2 (edited by ramses 2022-11-20 11:12:54)

Re: HDSP Madi FX - im missing something

If I understand correctly, you have just made a system change to a MADI-based system.
First congratulations on the decision, the HDSPe MADI FX is an excellent card with great features.

With MADI, you have to consider that you have to set the routing on each connected MADI device individually:
a) which MADI channels the device reads from
b) which MADI channels the device writes to
c) if necessary also the loop-through of the remaining MADI channels, which the device itself does not need, but the next devices in the chain (if several devices are connected one after the other).

Which devices do you have connected to which MADI bus?
Which devices / i/o ports do you want to use for the monitoring through phones / active monitors?

Are the MADI devices from RME or third-party devices?
RME supports some helpful features that you can find in the manual under the term delay-compensation.
It also depends on, whether you have RME devices that follow an 8-port schema like Octamic XTC.
Such devices support AUTO-ID and AUTO-CA, so that the MADI ID is being detected automatically and that the channel assignment (routing on the MADI device) is automatically being configured based on the MADI ID.
Device with MADI ID 1 uses channel 1..8, ID2: channel 9-16 and so on.

Regarding WDM:
Let's clarify first this important part of your setup first before talking about WDM, one step after the other.
But to give you a first overview:

As you might know, WDM is only needed for Windows sound and applications that do not support ASIO (Firefox, etc ..).
And you should not use WDM on all channels of your card (too many, this could create problems of its own).
Only create WDM devices in the ASIO driver, if needed and only for the needed devices.
Usually, you only require 1-2 WDM devices for, e.g., active monitors and headphones.

Other WDM drivers from other audio devices are not relevant for your RME setup!

For music production (Nuendo) you will use the ASIO driver and nothing else (an application can only load one audio driver).
For Windows sound and apps - not supporting ASIO - you need to use the WDM driver.

In Windows sound settings, you can configure a default sound and communication device.
Fully up to you, whether this will be the RME WDM driver for active monitors or headphones or for the other audio device.

There are non-ASIO aware audio applications that let you select the WDM driver, but I remember other which only use Windows default sound device.

Depending on your demand, capabilities of your applications you need to look which can use ASIO (perfect), which let you select a WDM driver (perfect). For the most inflexible applications, which only use the Windows default sound device, you need to decide, which WDM driver to take as default sound device.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Is the card on firmware 91_26? If so and you don't see any playback signals in second row anywhere then the card might not be fully functional due to PCIe compatibility. Just a guess, no issues known wth that card, firmware and driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ramses,
Thanks for clarification.

ramses wrote:

Which devices do you have connected to which MADI bus?
I have a RME madi things. Micstacy, adi8 and an RME ADAT - MADi routing thing ... can't recall its name.
Which devices / i/o ports do you want to use for the monitoring through phones / active monitors?
MADI output 1 - 6 for 5.1 surround monitoring will be used. I will also use the phones output considerably for control room.

Matthias,

I think you have it. My firmware is up to date, but the motherboard firmware and BIOS wasn't. AUdio problems however still exist.
I tried to play standalone instrument using asio but i still cannot get any sound. Still nothing on the second tier of faders in totalmix. I tried card in a new PCI slot for no joy.

i am now attempting to configure BIOS of motherboard asus z690 proart.

The following is a list of BIOS options relating to PCI-e configuration. Most of these options i dont know what to choose. any hints would be appreciated.

PCI Express Native power management. (power Config)

[Disabled][enabled]

If enabled.

Native ASPM

[Enabled][disabled][auto]

PCH – PCI Express:

DMI link ASPM

[L1][disabled][auto]

ASPM

[L1][disabled][auto]

L1 Substates

[disabled][L1.1] [L1.1 && L1.2]

SA – PCI Express

DMI ASPM Control

[disabled][auto][ASPM L1]

DMI Gen3 ASPM

[disabled][auto][ASPM L1]

PEG – ASPM

[disabled][L0s][L1][L0sL1]

PCI Express Clock Gating

[Enabled][disabled]

PCH Configuration. (speed config)

Pcie config.

PciEX16 – 1 LINK SPEED

[AUTO][Gen1][Gen2][Gen3] [Gen4] [Gen5]

PciEX16 –  2 LINK SPEED

[AUTO][Gen1][Gen2][Gen3] [Gen4] [Gen5]

PciEX16 – 3 G3 LINK SPEED

[AUTO][Gen1][Gen2][Gen3]

Thanks again for your time.

I wouldn't fool around with these settings - the card must work in default settings. Missing playback signals in TM FX and on the phones output indicate something is very very wrong. Either the card itself is defective, or a required voltage is missing on the PCIe bus, or...

You don't have a second computer to try the card in?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Cheers MC.
Problem replicated across 2 computers.
thanks for your assistance MC and Ramses.