1 (edited by ramses 2022-11-20 10:26:33)

Topic: ADI-2 D/P: initialization of volume and settings on power-on

I miss a way to restore the volume level stored in the configuration when the device is turned on, not the last level set.

Use case: it often happens to me that the sound level is much too loud after switching on the devices the next day, and I don't always remember to check the volume on the ADI-2 Pro before.

How can I prevent this in ADI-2 Pro (*)? I prefer a defined volume when I switch on my setup.

From TotalMix FX, I am used to be able to set this by:
- Snapshots do not load "---"
- [x] Always init DSP devices with TotalMix FX settings.

Or maybe I missed a settings option?

Implementation should not be too hard, after all, the volume is already stored in the ADI-2 DAC/Pro.
You should only be able to choose which volume is selected at startup, the one "from config" or "from last use".

I would also like it if you could implement some kind of autostart function, so that a certain user config is always retrieved at startup, to ensure defined settings at every startup.
Complemented by the option to use the volume "from config" or "from last use".

Thank you very much for this upfront.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-20 18:14:21)

Re: ADI-2 D/P: initialization of volume and settings on power-on

I’m not quite getting what you’re doing - there’s no TotalMix for ADI-2 Pro / DAC.
Bringing it into discussion here is confusing.

ADI-2 hardware always remembers the last Volume set, at my place.
Same as with any audio device I know.

For a certain startup volume I’d suggest to use a “Setup”, check the Option “Load Volume with Setup”, assign the Setup to button, and get used load it at power on.

3 (edited by ramses 2022-11-20 19:33:26)

KaiS wrote:

I’m not quite getting what you’re doing - there’s no TotalMix for ADI-2 Pro / DAC.

I cited TotalMix FX as example that other RME solutions have exactly such a functionality.

KaiS wrote:

Ok, but this is no argument against it. TotalMix FX has the same base functionality, but is configurable to pre-initialize the device on startup and if you want to give it a defined start volume.

KaiS wrote:

For a certain startup volume I’d suggest to use a “Setup”, check the Option “Load Volume with Setup”, assign the Setup to button, and get used load it at power on.

I already know how to do this manually, but I want it to happen automatically so that I do not forget and that it is simply more comfortably.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by MstrC-117 2022-11-20 19:34:22)

KaiS wrote:

He wants a brand new setting option, which would make ADI to always revert back to that defined volume value, when it powers up.

Why not... but may be surprisingly big work, or even not possible to achieve. And could yet again lead months long bug hunting spiral... like last christmas big feature pack -update + B/T to EQ -integration... do you remember... made quite a bug hunting tournament for whole spring.

ADI´s current firmware (Pro, 265/116) is in my opinion now in very stable, mature state (which is great, kudos to MC). At least all my previous problems, and reported other problems, are now gone. I wouldn´t be eager to break that again...

ADI´s current practice to always revert to last used volume on power up is just fine. At least for me.

5 (edited by ramses 2022-11-20 19:48:47)

I would not be too anxious here.
This has definitively not the complexity of the B/T to EQ-integration as the code for saving and restoring configs already exists.

The request is simply an additional configuration option to
- either load the volume from the current config during startup
- or to even load the complete config that you always load your proven config

I think we had already cases where people change some settings accidentally and then wondered about different sound.
Also, such situations could be avoided when loading a valid / stored config on each startup (if you enable it).

6 (edited by MstrC-117 2022-11-20 20:50:46)

ramses wrote:

I would not be too anxious here.
This has definitively not the complexity of the B/T to EQ-integration as the code for saving and restoring configs already exists.

The request is simply an additional configuration option to
- either load the volume from the current config during startup
- or to even load the complete config that you always load your proven config

I think we had already cases where people change some settings accidentally and then wondered about different sound.
Also, such situations could be avoided when loading a valid / stored config on each startup (if you enable it).

Those would be great additional features.

There is always high bug potential in device this complex, though. My questimate with those additional new features would be about 5 minor co-efficient basic bugs + surprise collateral -bonus-malfunction = three (3) FW-update rounds in total. To get it to as steady condition as ADI-2 Pro is now on 265/116, that is.. smile

7 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-20 21:17:17)

Maybe a realization of an “Autoload” Setup of any kind would be a solution that solves this and other related problems.

Wouldn’t be very bug-prone, as it uses existing functionality.

Only that such a function can easily overwrite intentional user settings.
So, at least a load confirmation would be mandatory, like already exists with every Setup load action.

Could be realized without an extra menu entry, just name dependent:

If a Setup exist, named:
• “autoload”, it will be loaded at startup, after confirmation,
• “AUTOLOAD” will be loaded at startup, without confirmation.

Confirmation could be “Press Encoder 1”.
Neglect load could be, every other action.

These type of mechanisms are quite common in computer OS practice, remember “autoexec.bat”?!

8 (edited by ramses 2022-11-20 21:21:38)

KaiS wrote:

Maybe a realization of an “Autoload” Setup of any kind would be a solution that solves this and other related problems.

Only that such a functionality can easily overwrite intentional user settings.
So, at least a load confirmation would be mandatory, like already exists with every Setup load action.

Could be realized without an extra menu entry, just name dependent:

If a Setup exist, named:
• “autoload”, it will be loaded at startup, after confirmation,
• “AUTOLOAD” will be loaded at startup, without confirmation.

These type of mechanisms are quite common in computer OS practice.

Please do not make it too complicated.

Look at TotalMix FX .. with default settings you always have to confirm whether you want to use the one or other settings.
This is perhaps technically correct, but so disturbing having to confirm this again and again.

Activating [x] Always init DSP dervice with TotalMix FX settings was one of the 1st things that I activated.
And then your environment does exactly what you want automatically, without any further user confirmation.

If somebody doesn't want "always the same startup settings", well then simply do not activate it,
then this option is not for you.

9 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-20 21:22:33)

But this is exactly what you get on my proposal “AUTOLOAD” (Setup) - no confirmation needed.

10 (edited by ramses 2022-11-20 21:58:37)

KaiS wrote:

But this is exactly what you get on my proposal “AUTOLOAD” (Setup) - no confirmation needed.

Sorry, I misunderstood, thanks for clarification.

TBH, I am a bit worried that this won't be implemented at all afterwards if we raise too many requirements.

I would like to summarize the two things that are most important for me for this "autoload" function.

1. to turn autoload ON / OFF
2. to be able to select a user setting for autoload
3. to be able to select whether you want to extract only the volume for AN1/2, AN3/4 or the whole settings incl. the volume.

I think this could be put into two config options:
Options -> Device Mode/DSD:
Autoload: OFF | VOL | Setup+VOL
Autoload-Setup: User Setup 1..9 (Dimmed if Autoload=OFF)

I hope it's also fine by you, to start with this as the basic request.

11 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-20 22:32:26)

ramses wrote:

Options -> Device Mode/DSD:
Autoload: OFF | VOL | Setup+VOL
Autoload-Setup: User Setup 1..9 (Dimmed if Autoload=OFF)

This would be a more versatile option than my proposal.

What sounds like a simple addition typically and quickly pans out into complicated and comprehensive changes. Already the very first request misses that there can be no simple on/off switch - because you need to adjust and save the volume that you want to be set to on every boot. So that's another menu entry plus value storing.

From the above I like the Autoload feature in its most simple version: select which Setup should be loaded on boot. That adresses a feature which is often requested from studios and broadcast, to be able to have a defined, custom setup and settings when the unit is rebooted.

Of course there are pitholes. First watever one sets and stores during a session will be lost. So users that only want volume default will run into issues. And second the now 'default' setup might need some kind of write protection, to prevent unauthorized users to change it.

Also:
> How can I prevent this in ADI-2 Pro (*)? I prefer a defined volume when I switch on my setup.

> From TotalMix FX, I am used to be able to set this by:
> - Snapshots do not load "---"
> - [x] Always init DSP devices with TotalMix FX settings.

I don't see how this gives you a specific volume (master fader setting) whenever you turn on your system. At no point did you save a specific volume setting and at no point this is recalled from somewhere. You always load the last current/temporary TM FX state here. Leave TM FX with much too high volume then you will have that state on reboot. Same as with the ADI.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by ramses 2022-11-21 08:23:39)

MC wrote:

What sounds like a simple addition typically and quickly pans out into complicated and comprehensive changes.

Ok, should it turn out during internal discussions that this is not possible to implement.
Would it perhaps help to make it simpler and to the point?

Then I would like to bring in the idea of allowing only a configurable "startup volume" for AN1/2 and AN3/4.

In that case, no other settings from the last session would be changed either.

MC wrote:

> From TotalMix FX, I am used to be able to set this by:
> - Snapshots do not load "---"
> - [x] Always init DSP devices with TotalMix FX settings.

You are right, I just checked it. I think I got it wrong because of two circumstances:
a) The description: I thought "TM FX settings" refers to the currently active snapshot.
b) There was a bug in older TM FX versions that prevented updating the "last.FirefaceUFX+1.xml" file on Windows shutdown.

So, whatever was changed during a session was not updated in the "last-xxx" file and it appeared as if the whole snapshot was reloaded. From time to time the "last-xxx" was updated when testing other TM FX versions and manually quitting.