Topic: Best way to connect the UFX II to the ADI-2 FS?

I was originally envisioning that I'd get a UFX II and the ADI-2 FS, using the ADI-2 connected digitally to the UFX via XLR AES as my main DAC to send audio out to my monitors + as a headphone amp, plus doubling as my DAC for recreational listening purposes...

But I noticed the ADI-2 actually does not have AES,  XLR or otherwise. It has SPDIF, but it appears the UFX II doesn't? If I'm not mistaken.

Is it perhaps possible to switch one of the ADAT outs on the UFX II to SPDIF? Would be a shame to to lose all those channels though by sacrificing an ADAT port.

Maybe some sort of AES->SPDIF adapter is the true solution?

Neither coaxial jacks nor optical lightpipe connectors make me feel nearly as confident as a big solid locking AES XLR connection does, tbh, but if RME found them sufficient then I have to believe there must be something to that. So that's not a deal breaker for me, but if there is not a simple way to connect it the UFX II then that might be a bit problematic. I'm sure there is one that I'm just oblivious too though big_smile

Cheers. Sorry if this all in the manual or something, I'm a bit dense!

2 (edited by vinark 2022-11-21 16:05:12)

Re: Best way to connect the UFX II to the ADI-2 FS?

The ADI2fs  has AES according to specs. Maybe read the manual on how to.
And the UFX2 can be set to spdif on the AES output, so no worries, just a cable needed that is somewhere in the manuals I am sure

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632