1

Topic: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

This is a reworked macOS Thunderbolt DriverKit driver for macOS 12 and up.

Attention: The UFX+ requires a firmware update to version 110 (AKM) or 164 (ESS) to enable the use of this DriverKit driver. Link to firmware update tool:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_tb_mac.zip

Current driver version: 1.01. Included TotalMix FX: 1.78. This is a special DriverKit version that is not compatible to previous drivers.

System requirements: macOS 12 and up, Intel or M processor (Apple Silicon)

Installation: Double-click on driver_mac_tbdk_101.zip to expand the archive file to the driver file UFX+ Thunderbolt DK.pkg. Installation works automatically by a double-click on the pkg (package) file. Before reboot check that in Security & Privacy, tab General, the RME driver is allowed to load. If not unlock the settings and allow it. Then reboot computer.

Notes

A previously installed kernel extension driver, like 1.21, does not need to be uninstalled. It will be overwritten automatically. After that you could set the system security back to normal, unless any other existing kernel extensions still need reduced security.

To go back to 1.21: easiest method is to drag the RME Thunderbolt Settings app found in the folder Applications to the trash can - only use the Finder for this action. With DriverKit this Settings dialog is 'the app', upon removal all driver files belonging to it will also be removed automatically. You will be asked for permission for the removal of the extensions. If done simply reinstall the former 1.21.

As an alternative we also made a version of the 1.21 driver available that should reliably remove the DriverKit extension during its installation, see link below. The one found on our website for download is not guaranteed to always do that.

Downloads:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … dk_101.zip

Former driver 1.21 with updated installer to remove DriverKit 1.0x:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_122.zip

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

de.rme-audio.dkpci uses 8,6 %
compared to USB 3 around 24 %

UFX+ MBP 16" M1 Pro Version 12.6
Full safety setting

Very nice!

UFX+ XTC, ADI 8 QS w/madi
12 Mic, M1610 pro
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

3 (edited by Quadron 2022-10-02 11:21:42)

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

Strange phenomenon:

UFX+ connected to iMac Pro (Intel) via Apple TB3-TB2-Adapter on macOS Ventura PB, RME TB driver-kit 1.0.1:

- When UFX+ is turned on connected (doesn't need to be active sound output): The connection survives Sleep mode and UFX+ reconnects properly.
- When UFX+ is turned off *before* sleep mode: Turning on UFX+ after waking up it is not even recognized and requires a reboot to work again.

By the way, this is the same behaviour as under macOS Monterey with TB driver-kit version 1.0

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

Performance wise seems improved a bit compared to the 1.21 Thunderbolt driver on M1 Max CPU.
on 1.21 I couldn't get Thunderbolt to work under 128 samples or lower, it will click/crackle randomly in DAW even under a relatively light load. (2 instances of U-He Diva) need 256 to be 100% safe, whereas USB3 connection can have 32 samples with 10+ instances of U-He Diva without any crackling/clicks, both at a 48kHz sample rate.

this 1.01 beta driver managed to have the same performance as the USB3 connection down to 64 samples.
32 samples, however still have random crackle/clicks and high CPU spike compared to USB3 connection.

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

I just tried loading the beta 1.0.1 driver on my Mac Studio M1 after updating the firmware on my UFX+.
The install had a lot of dialog boxes come up asking for permissions which I allowed. Upon reboot everything seemed to be working except Thunderbolt Settings could not launch. That app doesn't seem to be necessary any longer because the UFX+ seemed to be working fine. I never got a message asking to give it permissions. Anyway I tried uninstalling using the uninstaller back to 1.2.1 and re-loading it. I even tried re-loading twice w/o removing and that second time I didn't get any system permission dialog and it said it was successful. Anyway I decided to revert back to 1.2.1 for now which still seems to work fine with the new firmware on the UFX+. I just thought I should mention that I was unsuccessful to fully in stall the new beta. What is strange is that the UFX+ used to not work w/o the settings app running at least that is what I thought. It always auto launches under 1.2.1. I was just prepping my system for the coming MacOS 13 update that is just around the corner and I get messages from the OS saying my drivers are obsolete or something along those lines. Hope this information helps.

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

I have an update for my last post. Today I am experimenting with MacOS Ventura. I created a new external drive setup and tried loading this latest beta 1.0.1. This time it loaded correctly and I have both the driver and total mix running fine under Ventura. By fine I mean I have tested it for like 5 minutes so far playing back music from Amazon Prime,  but it did load and seems to be working. So I'm still not sure what went wrong on my Monterey build but this one working under Ventura! It will be some time before I can test the many other aspects but I just wanted to set the story straight on the loading issues I no longer appear to have.

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

I checked the new driver. RME UFX +, Thunderbolt connection, iMac Intel i7, macOS Ventura (13.0). For Pro Tools, Logic and WaveLab, and for system sounds (Misic, TV) it seems OK. I have not noticed any problems with the audio. The only problem is when I turn the power off and then back on with the switch, the system does not see UFX +. (TotalMix and Thunderbolt Settings icons are inactive) I need to restart macOS, then everything is OK again. With the 1.21 (1.22) driver, everything works as it should.

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

Does anybody know when Apple will actually go forward with banning kernel drivers? They sure haven't done it yet in Ventura.

9

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

mlprod wrote:

Does anybody know when Apple will actually go forward with banning kernel drivers? They sure haven't done it yet in Ventura.

All components OS should not be able to be saved in the future.
Starting with OS11, you can no longer create an image of the OS.
So you have to take the drivers out of the kernel if you want to fully implement this.

10

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

marcin_c wrote:

I checked the new driver. RME UFX +, Thunderbolt connection, iMac Intel i7, macOS Ventura (13.0). For Pro Tools, Logic and WaveLab, and for system sounds (Misic, TV) it seems OK. I have not noticed any problems with the audio. The only problem is when I turn the power off and then back on with the switch, the system does not see UFX +. (TotalMix and Thunderbolt Settings icons are inactive) I need to restart macOS, then everything is OK again. With the 1.21 (1.22) driver, everything works as it should.

Can you try to set the interface mode to Thunderbolt (currently probably Auto) and check if switching off/on the unit shows a different behaviour?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

MC wrote:
marcin_c wrote:

I checked the new driver. RME UFX +, Thunderbolt connection, iMac Intel i7, macOS Ventura (13.0). For Pro Tools, Logic and WaveLab, and for system sounds (Misic, TV) it seems OK. I have not noticed any problems with the audio. The only problem is when I turn the power off and then back on with the switch, the system does not see UFX +. (TotalMix and Thunderbolt Settings icons are inactive) I need to restart macOS, then everything is OK again. With the 1.21 (1.22) driver, everything works as it should.

Can you try to set the interface mode to Thunderbolt (currently probably Auto) and check if switching off/on the unit shows a different behaviour?

Did not work. Thunderbolt or Auto - the same situation.

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

marcin_c wrote:
MC wrote:
marcin_c wrote:

I checked the new driver. RME UFX +, Thunderbolt connection, iMac Intel i7, macOS Ventura (13.0). For Pro Tools, Logic and WaveLab, and for system sounds (Misic, TV) it seems OK. I have not noticed any problems with the audio. The only problem is when I turn the power off and then back on with the switch, the system does not see UFX +. (TotalMix and Thunderbolt Settings icons are inactive) I need to restart macOS, then everything is OK again. With the 1.21 (1.22) driver, everything works as it should.

Can you try to set the interface mode to Thunderbolt (currently probably Auto) and check if switching off/on the unit shows a different behaviour?

Did not work. Thunderbolt or Auto - the same situation.

I confirm that behavior...

13

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

You wrote about Sleep - Wake Up, he wrote about turning the unit Off/On. Neither of these fail for us, but in principle would be very different issues.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by Quadron 2022-11-09 20:59:25)

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

MC wrote:

You wrote about Sleep - Wake Up, he wrote about turning the unit Off/On. Neither of these fail for us, but in principle would be very different issues.

I know the dfifference, but I have confirmed it anyways! After having turned off/on the TB(driverkit 1.01)-connected UFX+ it isn't detected by macOS anymore.

I've tested on two machines:
1. iMac Pro (Intel) with Ventura (13.0) , detection problems after turning off/on. Maybe some problem with the Apple TB3-TB2 adapter?
2. Macbook Pro M1 with Ventura (13.0), *no* detection problems.

By the way, the USB3 connection with driverkit 4.06 is rock stable on the Intel machine, but I've had the occasional crackling noise while clicking on BT connected mice...

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

Are these the drivers I would use on a new MacBook Pro M1 and using Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters for my Fireface 400?  Will this work?  Thanks..Richard

16

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

Not at all. You need to use FireWire drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Reboot - New macOS RME Thunderbolt driver – public beta test

Thanks ...so the existing Firewire drivers for the Fireface through Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters should work fine then?