Topic: Purchase of Fireface UFX +

The distributor told me that RME has withdrawn the Fireface UFX +. Is it true?

Re: Purchase of Fireface UFX +

The UFX+ can no longer be manufactured because Intel ended the production of the required TB chips long ago. We used our stock to continue building UFX+, but stock is gone now.

To answer an expected next question: We were ready to change to a newer chip with TB 3 support (fully developed new digital board), but Intel delayed its shipment (chip crisis) for a long time. Then when the chip was expected to be shipped Intel declared it EOL (end of life). Beginning a production using this chip made no sense anymore.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by mst 2022-10-02 13:57:35)

Are there any new plans? I'm looking for an optical MADI + maybe Thunderbolt + maybe USB3 + maybe Dante + TotalMix FX with plugs. I would like to upgrade my SSL MX4 with the option to upgrade to a laptop. UFX + was perfect. In MADIFace USB i miss effects (reverbs for listening). Of course, you can give the FX external, but it's nice to have it all together.
I hope this is understandable because Google translates ...

I don't think there will be a new TB audio interface from RME...or anyone else...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I don't think there will be a new TB audio interface from RME...or anyone else...

Then what is the plan for a high channel count flagship interface since that seems to be the major reason to use TB?

6 (edited by ramses 2022-10-31 07:43:59)

johndnj wrote:
MC wrote:

Then what is the plan for a high channel count flagship interface since that seems to be the major reason to use TB?

Much likely USB3 which is a proven solution.

With USB2 68/68 channel in/out are possible (-> MADIface Pro).
With USB3, even 196/198 channel in/out (-> MADIface XT).

So USB3 is fully sufficient for 94ch in/out (UFX+).

Additionally, you benefit from higher maximum cable length of 3 m (vs 2 m Thunderbolt) and cabling is cheaper compared to TB.

BR Ramses
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro

MC wrote:

Maybe there's a future USB4 interface which is TB3/TB4 compatible or a future TB4 interface?

8 (edited by kd 2022-11-08 00:45:06)

MC wrote:

The UFX+ can no longer be manufactured because Intel ended the production of the required TB chips long ago. We used our stock to continue building UFX+, but stock is gone now.

To answer an expected next question: We were ready to change to a newer chip with TB 3 support (fully developed new digital board), but Intel delayed its shipment (chip crisis) for a long time. Then when the chip was expected to be shipped Intel declared it EOL (end of life). Beginning a production using this chip made no sense anymore.

Just had to read today ...

"Urgently seeking UFX+ to buy ".     o)

Well RME had better inform the U.S dealers then regarding the UFXII +....all of them are stating due to be back in stock in January ....and some are even taking orders for it.  Grrr...so the only up to date RME solution is UFX II with USB 2.0 to interface with Mac M1?  Makes me want to keep my Fireface 400 working even more ...but am I going to have nightmares with the new Mac processors?

And the UFX+ is still up on RME's list of interfaces    https://www.rme-audio.de/external-cards.html

Hi Guys ,

I am thinking of getting new sound card and was thinking about  the UFX+ or UAD Apollo
Need all those inputs and ADAT SPDIF and now i understand there's no no UFX+ anytime soon ?

I had the old Apollo and old FF 800 and really loved both , FF preferred because of the usb
If there's no UFX+ maybe i will consider going with the Prism Titan ( i am aware to the luck of inputs there ) but really love the Total Mix and the RMe stability

I would wait a little, if you can.
The UFX+ could not be built anymore because Intel couldn't deliver those TB chips anymore.
Reading MCs comments there will be no other TB based interface anymore.
I could think of that an UFX+ successor might be on the way, most likely with USB3 but without TB.

@MC: any plans / roadmap that you could share at this point regarding an UFX+ successor with MADI support?

BR Ramses
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub12Pro

This is disappointing. I literally have been waiting for months for the UFX+, hounding every dealer that carried them with no luck. And now I find out that it's discontinued.

While I understand it's out of RME's hands, it really limits me because of the feature set that the UFX+ had.

14 (edited by Muffin 2022-11-27 18:50:29)

ramses wrote:

I would wait a little, if you can.
The UFX+ could not be built anymore because Intel couldn't deliver those TB chips anymore.
Reading MCs comments there will be no other TB based interface anymore.
I could think of that an UFX+ successor might be on the way, most likely with USB3 but without TB.

@MC: any plans / roadmap that you could share at this point regarding an UFX+ successor with MADI support?

It's my understanding that Intel wouldn't manufacture those chips anymore, not that they couldn't.

Add me to the list of people who can't wait to see a new version of the UFX+ smile

I mainly need the possibility to connect a mastering converter over AES3 or S/PDIF and at the same time stay connected to a summing mixer over MADI (with additional converter) or 16-ch analog via D-SUB like on my Antelope Orion Studio.

Steadyclock FS and a general update of converter chips are obvious. However, it would be awesome to see dedicated monitor outputs with even higher spec conversion.

I'd actually be happy enough with a USB 3 only version of the old one otherwise. Any chance that could be arranged?

16 (edited by sinolonis Yesterday 21:05:57)

Hi everyone!
I’m new on this forum and super interested in this interface too. I may have chance to buy ufx+ but judging from this thread  I’m not sure this information is credible. I also have information that successor of the ufx+ may launch in March 2023. Can anyone confirm this?