1 (edited by explodingPSYCH 2022-11-29 00:13:49)

Topic: Feature Request: Ability to match XLR/TRS hybrid inputs with other Ins

It's come to my attention that the TRS section of the XLR/TRS hybrid input on the UFX+ is not balanced. Furthermore, using XLR for balanced makes it impossible to match the input level to the other inputs (when set to +4dBu) of the device (gain is arbitrarily limited between 0 and 8db, where an in-between setting is needed)

Can this be resolved in software/firmware to allow for uniform behavior of all analog inputs?

Re: Feature Request: Ability to match XLR/TRS hybrid inputs with other Ins

The 8 dB step is a feature of the gain control chip (That5171), so not 'arbitrary' nor changeable. I also don't see why a mic input has to work exactly like a line input.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The 8 dB step is a feature of the gain control chip (That5171), so not 'arbitrary' nor changeable. I also don't see why a mic input has to work exactly like a line input.

I mean arbitrary for the user. The cic input does not have to do anything, but from a user's perspective, having the ability to use all 12 analog balanced inputs at the same level would seem to be desirable.

What is the advantage to not having this uniformity?

This discussion is useless. There are mic inputs and line inputs. The hardware does not allow the levels that you want on the combined mic/line input. Nowhere to go from here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

This discussion is useless. There are mic inputs and line inputs. The hardware does not allow the levels that you want on the combined mic/line input. Nowhere to go from here.

If you consider user experience/feedback useless. If I have more than 8 balanced signals going to this unit that I want to record at the same reference level, I cannot do that. The user has to fiddle around to make up for this design.

I'm not sure what the point or meaning of "there are mic inputs and line inputs" given that the mic inputs have hybrid jacks and settings to imply the use of line signals.