Topic: Daisychaining Ff400 and UCX

Hi guys ,

We have two RME cards in the studio.
A Ff400 and a UCX

I have watched the video that shows the three ways to connect a Ff800 to another Ff800.

We have dual Mac minis in the studio at the moment, with the Ff400 going into the UCX via Spdif and then Spdif out into a mastering converter and then the speakers.

I’m looking to unify the two systems, as well as various midi hardware using an external midi hub connected over network.
Allowing both machines to be able to trigger and record midi devices , only one machine would be used at once. The midi side is covered and a work in progress.

The audio in side is what I am looking into now.

Avoiding an external patchbay is ideal. We want it’s connected via totalmix labelled and ready to go all of the time.

Firstly is connecting a ff400 and a UCX even viable in the first place ?

Will I run into issues as one mac mini is Intel and one is M1? Firmware issues / conflicts ?

If I was to connect the two interfaces together via the FireWire daisy chain and bne word clock method, going Ff400>UCX aggregated .

Would I run into problems with a UAD sattalite being connected to one of the FireWire ports in the 400?

I can’t consider the adat method as this would mean we could not connect all of the hardware in the studio, adat in has to remain .

Many thanks , first post here appreciate any input !!