Topic: 5.1 WDM Device with UFX 2

Hi there!

I work in game audio and we use the UFX as our main interface.

Since upgrading to the UFX 2 from the UFX 1, I've noticed a slight change in how my windows playback devices are configured.

Using the WDM devices setup to be "Multi-Channel" my playback device ("Speakers") is only recognized as 7.1 even though I'm only setup for 5.1 with my hardware. Initially, I thought "well that's strange" but I just disabled the side speakers and went on my way.

Now what I'm realizing is that the result of this is actually that when our game engine queries the channel count of the windows device it returns 7.1 and then configures the game output to send 7.1 out to the speakers. Which means it's sending audio I can't hear*

I need to be monitoring the folddown that the game engine is doing internally but I actually have no way to do that right now because of this apparent limitation with the UFX 2. Of note, we don't have this issue with the UFX 1's we have and have used for years.

*Unless I manually route the extra channels in the TotalMix but that would technically be incorrect (and not in line with what would be expected of an end user.)

Re: 5.1 WDM Device with UFX 2

I'm in a similar situation and just wondering if you found out any information or figured out a work around?

Hey Jesse, unfortunately no I haven't received any information from RME on this issue and the only workaround available from the total mix side is to route the audio manually via the matrix.

The solution we've got available via our game engine is to force the channel count through code which allows us to test but that obviously doesn't help anyone else.

Wondering if RME has a more direct contact method I can funnel this question through.

Ok, I had forgotten about this post for a while. I sent a direct support request in for this question. I will try to remember to update this thread if I get any good info.

Hi Cody, thanks for the replay. That would be great if you get any updates. It won't be possible for me to have that done in code. All I've done in total mix is route my speakers so I just don't hear the side channels which is annoying.

Ok, got a solution from RME that seems to solve this issue (still need to do more testing though.)

Looks like they removed support for "other" multichannel configurations at some point and only support 7.1.

Luckily this means there is a driver version that still contains 5.1 surround (among others) support.

It's driver 0.9654. Downlead link here: https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_m … _09654.zip

Obviously this has the downside of reintroducing any bugs that were fixed between that driver and latest but at least it's something.

I expressed my disappointment with the removal of features from the drivers tho so who knows! Maybe they will be able to add support back in??

For the time being you can still update firmware and use the latest TotalMix FX, which is always available as separate download in this forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Awesome, thanks for looking in to it. Much appreciated!

Hi, I encountered exactly the same issue with latest Windows 11 driver and firmware on UFX II yesterday. Multichannel WDM will only show 7.1, while stereo WDM will only show 2.0 in the Windows sound setting.

The problem is solved with methods mentioned above: download the older driver, then use multichannel.Download latest TotalMix FX from this forum (in the TotalMix FX sub forum).

But I was wondering will this bug be fixed in the future as I'd love to use some of the latest driver to avoid other possible problems.

Who said this is a bug? It's an intentional decision to work around the properties crap going on in Windows sound management.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Who said this is a bug? It's an intentional decision to work around the properties crap going on in Windows sound management.

Thank you for clearifing the issue and that's new to me. Would you mind make some further explaination about why you choose to not compatible with Windows sound management or provide some links about it as I'm interested but undereducated about this.

Also I'd love to know will there be some potential problems using the older driver for the compatibility with Windows sound management? Thank you in advance.

I am also interested in the future of 5.1 and "other" multichannel support.  It's a little disconcerting to see functionality taken away.

Why is this a problem? You can route the WDM 7.1 signal to a 5.1 outputs in TotalMix FX.
You just add the last channels to the 5.1 outputs you want.
For example adding the last surround channels to the Ls and Rs and adjust to your taste.
Or distribute them over L,R, Ls and Rs.

Create a fadergroup of the 6 output channels and you have a 5.1 system.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

I think, for me at least, not involving Total Mix in testing scenarios is the main factor.  If I want to simulate what a user expects, it would be strictly in the WDM environment.  My 7.1 mixes are different than 5.1.  The levels and balancing are slightly different even on the same channels. 

I feel that it's a different scenario for each person but having the distinction between 5.1 and 7.1 configurations within the WDM panel is important.

MC wrote:

On the end user side, I would prefer to have to deal with the Windows sound management bugs (like changing your 5.1 output to stereo if you reboot) than be only in 7.1.

DonTacos wrote:
MC wrote:

On the end user side, I would prefer to have to deal with the Windows sound management bugs (like changing your 5.1 output to stereo if you reboot) than be only in 7.1.

I would prefer that too.  It would be sweet if RME could give us the option to have to deal with windows sound changing the settings or not.

As a workaround, I use VB-Audio VoiceMeeter. It creates a virtual output in Windows that you can set in Mono/Stereo/Quad/5.1/7.1, and you can route the channels of that virtual output to RME physical outputs. The 5.1 setting in Windows is kept when I cold boot or reboot.