Topic: HDSP9632 - Total Mix understanding & routing Stand Alone Apps to DAW

Hi Guys,

Wonder if you can she some light or advise here.  I'm struggling to understand if this is possible or how its done.
I want to route a Stand-Alone Music APP's output into my DAW (avoiding loopback/feedback issues).

I'm using ASIO for everything and can't find a WDM option for the StandAlone's output in order to seperate it from ASIO and run that through different channels in Total Mix (if thats how its done).
I'm a bit lost to be honest.  Do I need a Virtual Audio device (Like VB-Cable) or is there a way to do this without needing to mess a round with Virtual devices etc via TM?

Most appreciate any help here.
Steve

Re: HDSP9632 - Total Mix understanding & routing Stand Alone Apps to DAW

Unfortunatly there is no loopback option in totalmix for the hdsp9652 (the fpga was full), all other RME have it. But it is easy to make a physical loopback yourself. If you don't use the spdif, use those. Connect the spdif in to out, since it is short can also be done with an audio rca cable. Go to the HDSP settings app and click Configure WDM. Select only the spdif out. Now windows apps will play out over the spdif. In total mix you can now rout the spdif playback (middle row) to your speaker and/or headphones out.  Also route spdif playback to the spdif out and make sure nothing else is routed there.
Since you made a loopback to the spdif in, all that is playing from your spdif is now recordable through asio.
Hope this is clear, if not study totalmiz a little, understanding it gives you all the routing power you will ever need.
BTW if your spdif is in use you can also use one of the three adats for it. But spdif is a little easier to understand since it is stereo. If you have to use adat loopback just use the first 2 channels of the port you use.
Good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Awesome info Vinark. 

My SPdif is in use yes so I must try the ADAT instead.

Many thanks.

Wait I misread you have a 9632. You can then do the same with the loopback option in totalmix without a cable. Read the manual for details. The principle is the same

Vincent, Amsterdam

Ah Yes I just spotted that too.  Ok cool.  Thanks again.

Working perfectly now.  Great!

One last question if I may.  Is there any particular reason to

just use the first 2 channels of the port you use

(I can use any right?)

Yes of course

Vincent, Amsterdam