1 (edited by Selva 2022-11-25 23:45:50)

Topic: UCX II User Feedback

Hi all. I'm new here. I'm planning to buy a device. I have looked through the forum for problems with it and found several of them. When there are a lot of bad reviews about a product you get a pretty bad opinion about it and you start to wonder if it's even worth buying. Babyface has its own thread, let`s make a separate "official" thread for UCX 2? (Where users can help each other directly with the card and not create multiple threads for each question)

So we have a thread with "bootloader issue" where  many people posted messages, but now I want to see how many people who have all good with their UCX 2 since the purchase and to this day. Please share who use this device, how long, when you bought it, are there any problems, errors, stability, memory errors, heating.
I have seen posts on here that the device is very warm while others are barely warm. I'm used to desktop devices being pretty cool. 

For me it will be the first device in this price range and I want it to be good. And i don`t shure the distributor in my country will be able to provide a problem-free replacement of the device. I had some serious problems with the Motu Track 16 on my Windows I never had with other audio cards But now I want to make a choice once and for the next 7 - 10 years, so i come here for RME:)

2 (edited by ramses 2022-11-25 21:03:38)

Re: UCX II User Feedback

I see no advantage in a thread about a device.
On the contrary. There are simply too many problems that are setup-specific and often need a longer period of time to be solved.
If then different issues and discussion threads to different HW setup mix in one thread, then one loses the overview.
Besides, who will read a confusing monster thread later?
Makes no sense at all in my opinion.
Guess why ticket systems work on a per-case basis.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Selva 2022-11-25 21:35:56)

ramses wrote:

I see no advantage in a thread about a device.
On the contrary. There are simply too many problems that are setup-specific and often need a longer period of time to be solved.
If then different issues and discussion threads to different HW setup mix in one thread, then one loses the overview.
Besides, who will read a confusing monster thread later?
Makes no sense at all in my opinion.
Guess why ticket systems work on a per-case basis.

Maybe you're right about one common thread would be really hard to search in a big topic. True, I did not mean you need stop making separate topics with certain bugs or problems on the forum, just maybe specific questions about device. And  it is always nice when there is a specific group of people who use the same as you and you can talk about the device, links with other maybe not rme devices, durec feature or ask questions in general as in kind of club. I just suggested.

Then let the users of the device here just leave their opinions on its use as i asked in previous post. Because search through the forum, I found only negative feedback, because a lot of threads and few posts in each of them, people rarely write if all is well, but because of the number of bugs there are doubts about the stability of this device as a primary card, and there is no alternative from rme devices for my needs, except that look for an old ucx, which I do not want to do

People will write about the device how they have time / interest, and it will be either positive or negative.
And this is fully independent of whether you have one or more threads.
Usually, it is about specific questions or issues, based on that it's better to have dedicated threads for a specific issue.
Having a thread for a device or not is not related to the point whether people post more or less.
The whole forum is about RME devices, there is no need for separate user groups.
Everybody here contributes to any sub-forum simply based on whether he can contribute or not.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Of course I do not mean that everyone should give up their business and write their opinions here right now - no.

Just want to hear something different from the problems. That is my "specific question", because from what I read the last few weeks on the forum in the amount of posts when i use "ucx/ucx 2" search tags  I can not imagine kind of statistics or find  who was saying that he uses the device about a year and had no problems. I can see just those 10 +  bootloader issue posts and maybe posts of  people who use this device not enough time, because  now  the impression that each of these devices sooner or later will catch the bootloader  error. That`s why I created this topic, if it violates the rules or ethics of the forum, I'm sorry.

6 (edited by ramses 2022-11-26 10:16:00)

Regarding this topic, I just did a Google search and found this error message:

''Failure in bootloader''
    ''RAM error detected''
         '' 02000200'''

So, the nature of this bootloader error seems to be a RAM error.
Defective RAM we can have everywhere in all kind of electronic devices which are using RAM modules.

In the mechanical production of electronic components, there are always faults that cannot be detected immediately during the factory inspection. It is to be expected that such cases occur from time to time, and even Apple is not immune to them. Even with Apple devices, which are more expensive compared to a PC and do not have a wide range of product variants, this happens from time to time and is not even limited to RAM modules.

I would see the fact that there are only a few such cases with the UCX II as a positive sign.

By the way, if you are worried about possible RAM errors, then you can't buy almost anything: PC, TV, refrigerator, oven, radio, cars, etc. Electronics and RAM are everywhere because nowadays, all sorts of components work with electronic circuits.

Regarding search: did you ever use extended forum search? There you can enter several search criteria and also use "AND" and "OR" conditions for the search expression. You can also select sub-forum and username.

Another alternative is to use Google search and to use search operators to narrow the search to this forum, e.g.:

RME UCX II site:forum.rme-audio.de

A list of 42 Google search operators you can find here:
https://ahrefs.com/blog/google-advanced … operators/

7 (edited by Selva 2022-11-26 13:10:04)

No, i never used extended search on forums, have no experience in it. Main forum i use have comfortable search by few words and i can find few sub threads to see where question i interested in appeared.

May you please quote me an example of how a query should look in the advanced search on this forum to see the positive feedback from people who use this device more than six months, if of course there are such on the forum?

8 (edited by ramses 2022-11-26 14:05:53)

Selva wrote:

No, i never used extended search on forums, have no experience in it. Main forum i use have comfortable search by few words and i can find few sub threads to see where question i interested in appeared.

May you please quote me an example of how a query should look in the advanced search on this forum to see the positive feedback from people who use this device more than six months, if of course there are such on the forum?

And wear blue socks? Sorry, no.

But I gave you information on how to use Google search to narrow search results.
You can include, and I think also exclude keywords, did you look at the documentation links that I gave to you?
Maybe you can include "UCX II" but exclude "RAM" or "bootloader".

Another thing. So, in your opinion, is then 1-3 negative results a clear no-go to buy any device, or is it 4-5?
Or does one positive response eliminate one negative?
Sounds to me like a little too much of "black and white" thinking.

The other general information to this topic should potentially have more relevance to you compared to search results alone.

Never forget, usually the dissatisfied people are posting their problems (the "1%" where it went wrong).
You rarely get information about the majority of cases where everything was fine.

Even with a certain percentage of road traffic victims, we still dare to leave the house, but should a few negative experiences posted decide whether to buy or not to buy? You should think about it.

As I mentioned before, 100% quality cannot be achieved with industrial/mechanical production, the devices would be unaffordable and there would still be no guarantee that failures would not occur in individual cases.

At the end of the day, you have a warranty and guarantee on the devices. Take a look at how long RME devices have been in use. There are people who are still using devices that are almost 20 years old. And even with these models, there were certainly a few devices where something broke.

9 (edited by Selva 2022-11-26 19:07:03)

ramses wrote:

Another thing. So, in your opinion, is then 1-3 negative results a clear no-go to buy any device, or is it 4-5?

Never forget, usually the dissatisfied people are posting their problems (the "1%" where it went wrong).

well, i can see that starting this topic wasn't useless. Because i can't see good feedback as easy as bad ones. I always use search before asking and in this case impossible to find needed information for me, if it's easy for you, well, i'm not so clever or not as good in forums use as you.

I can't forget about  dissatisfied people and their posts, because i already told about it above.  That i know people don't write posts if all is ok. That's was reason for this topic to see opinion of users who use device without troubles and haven't wrote anything. about year ago unit appeared on market. now Items on European market out of stock and there still not much feedback.

i think same results quantity as negative will be enough for me .

And yes, for me few bad opinions in case of audio is reason to think twice.

Same with warranty. I wouldn't ask about all this things if in my country  warranty services always worked as they must be.

I know about rme  is similar  to "stability" and it's main reason i eat bread and water for
7 months to buy this thing. I want to forget about all audio driver issues forever and don't get another ones. This is new device full of features, and it is not axiomatic if the past devices have served for 20 years and are still in service that the new one will be so unproblematic. I take into account all the reputation of rme and that is why I set up to buy device from this company.

Thank for detailed information and help with search, i'll wait for feedback or flip through a couple hundred pages in the hope of finding something I'm interested in..If there is no blackout, of course..

sorry for my english

I was in the same situation. I ordered a UCXii on august 2nd and received it 3 weeks ago. In the mean time I was reading about all the problems on this forum and was getting worried that I’d made the wrong purchase. Actually, no problem has occurred since I got my hands on it. It works perfect and the temperature is the same as my previous Fireface UC. I thought there was a problem as Iheard a”plop” in iZotope RX. But it seemed I was working on a 96kHz file and the setting of the interface was 44kHz. So the interface intelligently switch to the new setting. It’s a fantastic upgrade for me. The Fireface UC never had any problem, I bought it and almost forgot about it, as it just did what it had to do. The UCXii is more “present”, as you can interact more directly because of the screen. I can undestand the frustration of the owners with a defected interface, as they are expensive. But my 12 years old UC still works perfectly under OS Monterey, I don’t know if other interfaces are still in the game after 12 Years…So what’s expensive?

I've the UCX II that I bought October 2021 and I think it's a great device that fits very well with my usage as well as on top of my ADI-2 DAC FS. The one modification I did was to put small feet on it so the distance was increased to 12 mm as the supplied feet are to small, in my opinion.

With the UCX II I can have, for me, a good enough lip synch for my mic during video calls using echo with a delay of 300 ms that the video call program is using for input, while I monitor on a different output to my ADI-2. My camera is connected to my PC using a HDMI-USB converter, thus the need for a delay. This is a hidden gem.

As for temperature I did a few measurements on the UCX II. The ambient temperature is 23C, and I fastened a temperature sensor tip a mm or two from the centre hole in the bottom, towards the rear.

For the test I connected a condenser mic with 48V on, enabled dynamics, EQ, as well as echo. The output goes to my ADI-2 via ADAT. I'm also watching some YouTube/HBO/etc as well during the test on my Genelec monitors connected to my ADI-2, with loudness enabled, EQ disabled but tone controls enabled and set 0. The point is that the devices are not just idling but sees some use.

So, after an hour with the UCX II on the desktop the temperature is 40C.

I put the UCX II back on top of my ADI-2 DAC FS, and after an hour the temperature is now 43C.

Thank you much for  taking the time to share your experience

EP68 wrote:

I was in the same situation. I ordered a UCXii on august 2nd and received it 3 weeks ago.

Bought UCX II today. May you tell please, are settings buttons  ( 4 black small plastic ones on front panel) have some backlash ? If i rotate the device in  hands, turning it upside down, these buttons make a sound as if something is dangling inside the body of device. Of course, the device during operation stands still, but I just wonder if this is normal for this model or I have a defect of the assembly?

It's normal that these buttons make a little rattle noise if you shake the unit.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

It's normal that these buttons make a little rattle noise if you shake the unit.

thank you!