Topic: Fireface 400 & Ableton 11 & Catalina

Hello Everyone, RME Newbie here. I have acquired a Fireface400. I am archiving some old DAT tapes. I have the s/pdif cable from the DAT machine in the Fireface, and Totalmix shows/sees the audio. However, getting Ableton to see that digital signal is proving quite perplexing to me. Could someone point me in the right direction? I have also asked Ableton.

Re: Fireface 400 & Ableton 11 & Catalina

Aah. I've possibly solved it. I get sound into the Ableton DAW but changing 1-2 inputs (from the fireface) to 9-10 inputs. Assuming 9-10 are the spdif outputs. Though I'm still not sure if this is the spdif digital signal, or just an analog signal... but it'll do for now. If anyone understands my question, and what I'm doing, I'd be grateful to know for sure! Many thanks.

The signal is digital.
There is no analog signal involved.
And right, the input channels in the DAW may differ from the Totalmix because SPDIF takes place,
Adat 1/2 are shared with SPDIF, if I remember this correct.
As you see a signal in the Totalmix Input channels you will find it on a input channel in the DAW, just check out all possible channels you will find it quick.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

The signal is digital.

Thank you. Yes, letting Live 'see' all the outputs from the FireFace 400, and choosing 9/10, found the spdif output.

There has been some digital drift, I might consider the DAT machine or old DAT tape spitting out poor clock. Sometimes just rewinding and playing those glitchy parts a second time solved it. Also, a good spdif cable and cleaned sockets helped.