Topic: no audio signal in headphones

I have suddenly lost all signal to my headphones on the RME Fireface 800. Total Mix fx is a ‘total’ mystery to me that I have never troubled to decode, because up until now—and for the last ten or so years—I have had no problem with the audio signal being simultaneously routed to my monitors and my headphones.

Opening Total Mix I see the signal active for my main out monitors, but no action in the Phones section. I have tried doing the total reset thing but it makes no difference. I have tried changing the default phones out from channel 9 and 10, to 1 and 2, but when I do this Total Mix refuses to stay on channels 1 and 2, but instead goes to None. I have left clicked, double clicked and right clicked in the headphone section trying every option that presents but I can’t get sound. I have even tried different sets of headphones.

I have looked up the topic online and on this forum but have found no solution. Now I am starting to think that there is something wrong with the FF 800 hardware unit itself rather than the Total Mix software. I don’t want to upgrade to a new unit if I don’t have to.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. My DAW is Sonar (unfortunately now called ‘Cakewalk by Bandlab’) on Windows 10.

Re: no audio signal in headphones

Please may you provide a screenshot of the Totalmix.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

You can't select 1/2 because that is already assigned to Mains...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks waedi and MC for responding.

Can I provide a screenshot? I know how to create a screenshot, but evidently I am too stupid to be able to post it on the RME forum. I tried. I looked up how to do it, but it appears more complicated than trying to get sound from headphones. Can you suggest what the problem might be without a screenshot?

Regarding not being able to select 1/2 because the mains are assigned to it: thanks MC for confirming that, I thought it might be the case. So, I guess the default 9/10 are the correct choice.

Provide a link of the screenshot, thats ok.
Upload to any image service like https://de.imgbb.com

Without screenshot suggestions can turn into wild speculations with no help.

Sorry to have wasted peoples' time. After trying yet again, the problem is now solved.

I did mention that I was stupid. . . I didn't realize that I was trying in vain to make adjustments whilst on the 1/2 channel page. I didn't see that when you click on the Phones channel (on the right hand side of the bottom row) that it took you to the 9/10 display page - the default channels of the Phones, and that on that page the 2nd row fader was at zero. Pulling it back up gave me sound again in the Phones.

The question remains, how did this fader get turned down to zero without me touching it? And why did the Total Reset process have the 2nd row 9/10 output fader still remain at zero?

Thank you again for your time waedi and Mathias

Telarco wrote:

The question remains, how did this fader get turned down to zero without me touching it?

You didn't wasted time ! Learning by doing is best you can do.

Faders of the top row and middle row can be up or down or anywhere at the same time without touching it.
It depends on wich output channel bottom row is active highlighted.
Faderpositions for the main out are others than for your headphone, as you move them to set your submix.

I guess you will find out soon that everything works normal as per manual.

You will have turned it down. It’s easy to click on the wrong output and turn something down without realising it.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.