Topic: Babyface Pro FS does't recognize ADAT/Optical Input

Hello,

I trying to connect my Babyface Pro FS to a Expert Sleepers ES-3 to send a clock to my modular synths. The ES-3 can only be connected via Toslink however, the Babyface does't recognize the ADAT Channels fo the ES-3. Is there something I'm missing?

I also have a question about sending DC signal to a modul over the Headphones out. Are there specific steps I have to follow to make it work?

THX

Alemanpirata

2 (edited by waedi 2022-12-10 18:49:36)

Re: Babyface Pro FS does't recognize ADAT/Optical Input

By the manual of that ES3 it has no configurations at all therefor it is most probably slave.
You have to check settings of the Babyface in the Fireface USB Settings.
Clock Source has to be "internal"
Sample rate 44100Hz (my suggestion)
pitch correction 0 zero
Optical out ADAT
then it shoud work
btw The clock you want to send to the modular synth, shouldn't this be Midi-clock ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thx for ur answer waedi. The settings are the same u proppose. However, In the settings windows under "optical status", there says "no lock", so it seems to me that the ES-3 is not beeing recognized by the Babyface. The Tosklink is working, as I conected both endings to the optical in and out of the Inrterface an the "optical status" changed. Could it be a problem of the ES-3? I have to recognize that i do not have much knowledge in this area.

Then try this :

In the Fireface USB settings
Change the clock source from internal to adat

The ES-3 may be set as master not able to sync to something else.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by ramses 2022-12-11 08:51:52)

@alemanpirata: your ES-3 has only an ADAT input, thus it can only be clock slave.

In RME driver settings:

- configure BBF Pro to act as clock master (clock source = "internal")

- ensure that the digital output format is set to "ADAT" (not SPDIF)

Then it should work.

If not, then perform a loop test at the BBF Pro by connecting ADAT OUT with ADAT IN using your TOSLINK cable. In the driver settings you should see "sync" status.
By this you can validate the ADAT ports of the BBF and the TOSLINK cable.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello and THX ramses and waedi for your answers. I'm still are't able to make ir work. The settings on the driver settings are set as you two recommended. I also tried to conect the RME with hisself and it recognizes the conection. So I really start to think there is a problem with the ES-3...