Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R BE B/T keeps turning off when a DSD file is played.

My ADI-2 Pro FS R BE with the latest firmware, the B/T keeps turning off and stays off when a DSD file is played.  All PCM files that play after has the B/T turned off.
This only happens if I select save B/T with EQ turned on in settings.
I do have the  EQ turned off.
If I turn off Save B/T with EQ it works perfect.
This seems to be a bug.

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R BE B/T keeps turning off when a DSD file is played.

APS wrote:

My ADI-2 Pro FS R BE with the latest firmware, the B/T keeps turning off and stays off when a DSD file is played.  All PCM files that play after has the B/T turned off.
This only happens if I select save B/T with EQ turned on in settings.
I do have the  EQ turned off.
If I turn off Save B/T with EQ it works perfect.
This seems to be a bug.

I think that is just the way of DSD. From the manual p 16:

"DSD can not be processed digitally. Therefore DSP functions like Bass, Treble, Loudness, EQ
etc. are disabled in DSD mode. The volume control is no longer done by the DSP, but the DAC
chip. You won’t notice that, volume operation at the ADI-2 Pro is seamless and behaves identical
in any mode."

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

3 (edited by APS 2022-12-13 09:13:18)

I understand DSD will not do any DSP processing however when a PCM file plays afterwards it should do DSP processing.  For some reason the playing of a DSD file in a playlist of both PCM and DSD files turns off the B/T for even PCM file playback.  I have to go in and manually turn it back on after a DSD file plays.  B/T should resume function on it's own when a PCM file plays after a DSD file.

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-13 11:49:17)

APS wrote:

I understand DSD will not do any DSP processing however when a PCM file plays afterwards it should do DSP processing.  ...

Another reason not to use DSD - with optimized settings PCM will sound better for sure.

I agree that the DSP should automatically re-enable for PCM after a DSD playback related disabling.

The downside - you will have constantly changing sound quality running through your mixed playlist.

I’d suggest to activate the host’s DSD->PCM conversion if exists.

APS wrote:

B/T should resume function on it's own when a PCM file plays after a DSD file.

Yes I think so too.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Me too. And this is exactly how the 2 Pro and 2/4 Pro work on my desk. Check your player, maybe it doesn't switch back to PCM or plays at a too high sample rate...

@APS: On the State Overview screen you can clearly see if the incoming signal is really PCM.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by APS 2022-12-13 22:50:55)

I know its doing both DSD and PCM as I have several other DAC's hooked up to my DDC.  They are performing as intended as well as showing exactly what state the SPDIF sending. This DAC as well as the others show the same info. This unit turns off B/T in settings  when a DSD file plays.  I can even power cycle the unit and B/T is still turned off.  I have to manually turn it back on in settings.  If I turn off load B/T with EQ then everything works as it is supposed to so this also tells me there is a bug or a bad unit.

My settings that shows the issue.
EQ = off
B/T = on
Load B/T with EQ = on
After DSD to PCM playback B/T is turned off in settings even after a power cycle and no DSD playback.

I think if your unit doesn't do as I described then....

Guess I have a bad unit.
Will be returning it.
Thanks

8 (edited by APS 2022-12-13 16:20:51)

KaiS wrote:
APS wrote:

I understand DSD will not do any DSP processing however when a PCM file plays afterwards it should do DSP processing.  ...

Another reason not to use DSD - with optimized settings PCM will sound better for sure.

I agree that the DSP should automatically re-enable for PCM after a DSD playback related disabling.

The downside - you will have constantly changing sound quality running through your mixed playlist.

I’d suggest to activate the host’s DSD->PCM conversion if exists.

No thanks.  DSD is far superior than PCM to me and all of our engineers.

I have played both PCM and DSD files together with great success and smooth transitions between songs.

what is the PCM sample rate after first having played DSD?

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

10 (edited by APS 2022-12-14 04:40:22)

44.1 to 384.  PCM SR does not matter.  Tried them all.

APS wrote:

EQ = off
B/T = on
Load B/T with EQ = on
After DSD to PCM playback B/T is turned off in settings even after a power cycle and no DSD playback.

No, that doesn't happen here. What you missed is that when you turned on 'Load B/T with EQ' B/T is instantly turned off. This happens when the current EQ preset does not yet include B/T settings. You have to activate B/T again. After that it will be switched Off/On with PCM DSD songs.

It is also recommended to save this state in an EQ Preset.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
APS wrote:

EQ = off
B/T = on
Load B/T with EQ = on

No, that doesn't happen here. What you missed is that when you turned on 'Load B/T with EQ' B/T is instantly turned off. This happens when the current EQ preset does not yet include B/T settings. You have to activate B/T again. After that it will be switched Off/On with PCM DSD songs.

It is also recommended to save this state in an EQ Preset.

Unfortunately It still does the same thing.  Also found another bug.  If playing a DSD file and you hit the volume on the remote (I know it won't change volume in direct to DSD) however when switching back to PCM the volume changes to -5.  I set it to -10 PCM.  The volume change works fine if you don't try to change it on the remote when a DSD file is playing. -6 for DSD -10 PCM.   Perhaps my only option is to lock the volume?

That also happens when trying to change the non-changeable volume (Direct DSD) at the VOLUME knob of the device. We will fix this in the next firmware update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

APS wrote:

Unfortunately It still does the same thing.

I finally remembered what this is all about - not  DSD/PCM, but changing the sample rate. And it all starts with a setting that doesn't make sense: you couple B/T to the EQ, but the EQ is off. When the sample rate changes the unit checks the EQ and sees it's off, so also disables B/T.

Solution: activate EQ or deactivate Load B/T with EQ.

We might be able to prevent this off-switch in a later firmware, but that might introduce other bugs into an already very complicated code, so better not wait for it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK... At least I know I'm not going crazy.  Only problem if I use B/T and EQ and decide to turn off just the EQ, that would cause the issue.  I will just have to disable Load B/T with EQ.
Thanks!

MC wrote:
APS wrote:

Unfortunately It still does the same thing.

I finally remembered what this is all about - not  DSD/PCM, but changing the sample rate. And it all starts with a setting that doesn't make sense: you couple B/T to the EQ, but the EQ is off. When the sample rate changes the unit checks the EQ and sees it's off, so also disables B/T.

Solution: activate EQ or deactivate Load B/T with EQ.

We might be able to prevent this off-switch in a later firmware, but that might introduce other bugs into an already very complicated code, so better not wait for it.

Agree.  Turning off Load B/T with EQ is a good solution.  Not worth taking a chance on creating a new issue.  The sound quality is what makes this unit shine anyway.