1 (edited by Aurelius 2022-12-24 14:44:55)

Topic: My new FIREFACE UCX II - very impressive

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the RME FAMILY and got my new FIREFACE UCX II a few days ago!
My setup is on a MAC M1 Monterey (Studio Max with 10 cores and 32 GB RAM). The reason for my purchase was in the first place my issue with RTL with another interface.

Now, I am happy :-), the FIREFACE UCX II brought the RTL down to around 7ms…what a relief!

I was afraid to open TOTAL MIX but to my surprise without looking into the manual, I got my software audio send to my phones or speakers. It felt easy.

Next thing I noticed was, that I don’t feel a need for a monitor controller anymore. With the FIREFACE I experience crystal clear and a honest picture of my audio. The headphone amp is surprisingly good.

I also have to say, that I was impressed with the sound quality.

I would say for mastering some devices might add a bit more analog sheen or 3D, especially if you are working in the box. But I would say you could easily master with the UCX II and add some color with plugins or even integrate analog hardware.

Given the price point of the UCX II it is the real winner of the two! I am really looking forward to exploring more of the TOTAL MIX software and DigiCheck.

And by the way, the form factor of the UCX II is a little wonder…this is a little monster!

Very happy RME customer!

Happy Holidays to all the members here!

A bit off topic: My only question I have right now, should I get a SPL Crescendo Duo for recording. That way I can implement some great, clean analog flavor with a ton of headroom and could stay in the box or just run audio through the CRESCENDO and back into the DAW if needed during mixing. ;-)

Mac Studio M1 (10core 32MB RAM), APOGEE DUET 2 (finally) LOGIC PRO X, WAVELAB

Re: My new FIREFACE UCX II - very impressive

Just two questions remain: How can I get the plugins that come with it (due to the promo)? I registered the FIREFACE and additional registered for the plugins. But I habe not gotten any confirmation or message. Did I do something wrong?

Another one: How can I lock the power adapter to the FIREFACE? Nothing locks when I turn the adapter….

3 (edited by waedi 2022-12-18 04:32:00)

The only plugin I know is DigiCheck and it's free to download from the website,
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/digi … c_0881.zip
There are no VST plugins or or so, afaik. If you mean Totalmix, that's part of the driver installation and located in your applications folder named Totalmix.

The poweradapter does not click, it is just locked when turned.
You can't pull out the plug unless you rotate it to the exact position, that is the locking system, lightweight and easy to use.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Aurelius wrote:

Just two questions remain: How can I get the plugins that come with it (due to the promo)? I registered the FIREFACE and additional registered for the plugins. But I habe not gotten any confirmation or message. Did I do something wrong?

Plug-ins are not from RME but the local distributor (and AFAIK only Synthax US does that). If you bought the unit via that distributor's sales channels then you will get them, otherwise not.

Aurelius wrote:

Another one: How can I lock the power adapter to the FIREFACE? Nothing locks when I turn the adapter….

Because you didn't insert it fully.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Aurelius 2022-12-18 07:40:53)

MC wrote:

Plug-ins are not from RME but the local distributor (and AFAIK only Synthax US does that). If you bought the unit via that distributor's sales channels then you will get them, otherwise not.

Because you didn't insert it fully.

Ok, thanks, I will try again with the lock

Regarding the plugins, yes, that’s right;  the promo is via Synthax and only for North & South America customers. It’s not from RME. I bought it from Vintage King and registered at Synthax for the promo, maybe it’s because of the weekend that I haven’t heard back. I have to be patient.

The plugins / VST‘s are:

3 MONTHS OF ANTARES AUTO-TUNE UNLIMITED

S-Gear Amp Simulation Software (lifetime)

Brainworx BX Opto Compressor (lifetime)

Brainworx BX Masterdesk (lifetime)

Gig Performer (14 days trial with special offer)

Modartt Pianoteq 6 (extended trial version)

GG Audio Blue 3 (extended trial version)

waedi wrote:

The only plugin I know is DigiCheck and it's free to download from the website,
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/digi … c_0881.zip
There are no VST plugins or or so, afaik. If you mean Totalmix, that's part of the driver installation and located in your applications folder named Totalmix.

The poweradapter does not click, it is just locked when turned.
You can't pull out the plug unless you rotate it to the exact position, that is the locking system, lightweight and easy to use.

Ok, I just noticed I forgot to download DigiCheck ;-)…I posted the promo for the plugins in the post before.

Thanks for your reply.

Brainworx BX Masterdesk is a very nice piece of SW.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by Aurelius 2022-12-18 15:41:27)

ramses wrote:

Brainworx BX Masterdesk is a very nice piece of SW.

Yes, indeed! That's a plugin I already own. This promo is a nice bonus.

But I've never thought that RTL is so important. I was disappointed with my Lyra2. I thought this could be a Swiss army knife.

Some years ago in Germany, I used the SPL MADISON/MADICON combo. I was lucky, I never experienced disturbing latency ejther. But with RME you are always on the bright side of latency.

Maybe I can use the Lyra via ADAT and connect it to the FIREFACE. But that would reduce the FIREFACE to just an ADAT hub, which would be unfortunate.

Otherwise, I could switch to RME due to the quality of their products and this fantastic forum (kudos to Mr Carstens, he seems to have nerves of steel for answering and reading the posts; and of course all (most) the other members).

The ADI 2 line seems to be an option for the future. In that case, I might need an additional external PreAmp. It's not that the UCX II preamps are not worth it, it's the opposite. They are noise free, ultra clean and very good!

But if you were lucky and have worked with some high voltage external hardware units...these units add something I have never experienced with other PreAmps.

9 (edited by Aurelius 2022-12-19 01:14:55)

I also want to mentioned, that the people at Synthax USA are very professional and I felt in good hands. Although I bought from Vintage King they answered my questions very quickly and in a professional manner.

You can also register at Synthax and they let you know, when units are available so you can reserve yours.