Topic: 9632 in Thunderbolt enclosure crashes Windows 10

Hello -

I'm a longtime owner of a Multiface and big fan of RME products.

Recently I purchased a used HDSP 9632 card, which I'm attempting to house in a Sonnett Technologies Echo Express SE I enclosure, via a PCIe to PCI bridge chip.  The enclosure connects to my laptop (Razer Blade Pro 17", 2016) via a single Thunderbolt 3 cable. Here are the relevant specs:

HDSP Driver: 4.39
Card firmware: 155
Thunderbolt driver:  1.41.1193.0

Once installed in the enclosure and connected to the laptop the card shows up in the device manager and is recognized by the RME driver.  TotalMix FX opens when the TB3 cable is inserted, it appears to recognize the card and the RME Settings control panel allows me to change settings including buffer size, WDM options, etc. 

Whenever I attempt to actually use the card by playing back audio (either via WDM or ASIO) the system reacts unpredictably, often with a hard crash (no blue screen).  I have tested a number of buffer sizes, disabled WDM devices, etc.  I'm testing ASIO playback via Bitwig, which reports that the "Audio engine is no longer available" -  upon restarting the audio engine I'll either see the same failure message after a few seconds, or the system will hard crash.

I haven't been able to find any information that might guide troubleshooting this issue -  I would appreciate any feedback.

Re: 9632 in Thunderbolt enclosure crashes Windows 10

That's a clear PCI / PCIe bus issue, and no way to fix this with a simple advice. It might be the enclosure, it might be the added bridge...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your reply.  I'm fairly certain that the enclosure is fine, I've used other PCIe video capture cards in it, and connected to the same laptop.

I'm curious if there's any recommended way of troubleshooting this, other than swapping out multiple bridge chips.  Like crash logs or other artifacts that I can examine to get more details.

One question:  does the 9632 require PCI bus power?  The bridge has an optional 12V power input that I'm not currently using, perhaps that would be something to try.

That question doesn't make sense. There is no optinal power connector on the 9632, and nothing about this in  the manual, so obviously it does use PCI bus power and this is nothing to worry about.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME