Topic: 12Mic question

What's the simplest way to connect a 12Mic to a computer / DAW?

I understand that the USB port on the 12Mic is only for firmware updates / remote, so a direct connection is not possible (I wonder why?). Would something like the Digiface USB work?

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

Re: 12Mic question

Because the 12Mic is a Microphone Preamp and not an audio interface.

A computer receives audio thru audio interfaces.

The 12Mic has AD converters and digital outputs wich makes it well prepared for audio interfaces like a Digiface USB, therefor Yes, the Digiface USB would be a good way to bring 12 microphone signals (in 96kHz !) into the DAW.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2022-12-26 13:32:39)

waedi wrote:

Because the 12Mic is a Microphone Preamp and not an audio interface.

FYI, the Octamic XTC is a preamp as well an has a class Compliant USB interface for audio.

@Data:

BTW .. in such a setup with Digiface USB the 12Mic has to be clock master.

Considering raised costs for energy (depending on where you live or your current contract is), you might want to turn devices off, that you do not need.

So you need to have the 12Mic switched on permanently or you need to change clock settings for the Digiface USB depending on whether you want to use the 12Mic or not.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by ramses 2022-12-26 13:50:19)

BTW Data, I see from your signature that you have a UCX II and ADI-2 DAC FS.

You could also build up such a setup:

RayDAT
    +---------------ADAT1 IN--------<-----12Mic
    +---------------ADAT2 IN--------<-----12Mic (in single speed a few channels are unused)
    +---------------ADAT3 IN--------<-----12Mic (if you want recordings double speed)
    +---------------ADAT1 OUT-----------------> ADI-2 DAC FS ------> Monitors / Phones (ADI-2 DAC can read ch 1+2 from ADAT)
    +---------------UCX II----<------ADAT OUT--- UFX II
    +---------------UCX II---->------ADAT IN----- UCX II

Or if only single speed is needed:

UFX II+---ADAT1 IN-------<-----12Mic
         +---ADAT2 IN-------<-----12Mic
         +---ADAT2 OUT (SPDIF)-----> ADI-2 DAC FS---->Monitor / phones

More consequently would be to get a MADI-based solution, then you can also use the headphone output of the 12Mic for monitoring and to be able to further expand the solution.

UFX+---ADAT2 OUT (SPDIF)----ADI-2 DAC
|    |
|    + 12Mic--+-<--12Mic inputs
|    |             +-->--Phones
|    |
+--+
MADI

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Data 2022-12-26 14:09:44)

Thanks ramses, the setups via RayDAT / MADI are interesting (I need double speed since I record at 88,2 kHz). Anyway, I am just looking for longer term options here, in the short term I will get a Quadmic II which will give me 4 more mic channels via the UCX II line inputs. Let's see for how long that is sufficient...

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist