Topic: Fireface UCX MIDI disconnects on iPad

I have a fireface UCX that I'm using with a 2020 (last model pre M1) 12.9" iPad Pro. After a while (10 - 30 mins) in either of my main music apps Drambo or Cubase the MIDI stops working and if I check in total mix it says UCX disconnected. I have to quit the the app and restart it before MIDI starts working again and then it crashes out again. Weirdly the audio seems to carry on working even though MIDI stops, this is true in both Drambo and Cubase.

iPad is running 15.7.2 and the UCX has the latest class compliant drivers flashed on to it. I have tried with multiple USB C to A converters and cables.

Sound card always seems to work fine in regular mode with Ableton on laptop.

What do I do, I really like my sound card but I need it to work reliably with my iPad.

2 (edited by waedi 2022-12-28 12:26:11)

Re: Fireface UCX MIDI disconnects on iPad

Is the firmware version in your UCX number 49 ?
Latest version is not a valid info and also there is no class compliant driver for flashing.
CC-mode is part of the firmware and version 49 should be on.

What iPad-software do you use for Midi ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Firmware 49 is version, the latest non beta. Class compliant driver is number 14 which is also the latest non beta. The class compliant driver is flashed along with USB firmware using the flash tool if flash all is checked which it was and is verified when I check with the Flash Tool.

I use Cubase and Drambo as stated, the error occurs in either. I'm using iPad OS 15.7.2, the latest pre iPad OS 16 which I don't want to risk in case it opens up other problems.

crx091081gb wrote:

Firmware 49 is version, the latest non beta. Class compliant driver is number 14 which is also the latest non beta. The class compliant driver is flashed along with USB firmware using the flash tool if flash all is checked which it was and is verified when I check with the Flash Tool.

I use Cubase and Drambo as stated, the error occurs in either. I'm using iPad OS 15.7.2, the latest pre iPad OS 16 which I don't want to risk in case it opens up other problems.

I have to admit there is always a risk for something...
On the other hand a quick Google search shows many entries in apple forums reporting problems with Midi in iOs 15.

Core Audio and Core Midi is part of all Apple operating systems and Apple is taking care to have it working.
There is a chance to solve your problem by simply doing the iOS Upgrade to the newest point.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I've tried the upgrade to 16.2. The same bug still persists.

Ok I deleted the app and re-installed from App Store and it now seems rock solid. I guess rolling app updates aren’t all they’re cracked up to be.